1 pound hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ApexBrewWares

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I am toying with the idea of starting to offer hops by the pound as well as by the ounce and am just curious what hops you guys typically purchase by the pound? I figured cascade and centennial but what else? Also where do you normally buy when you go for a pound?
Thanks for any insight guys and gals!
Jeremy

simcoe! and my lhbs mostly.
Amarillo, simco, Fugges, citrix, cascade mostly

I buy northern brewer, cascades, simcoe, amarillo, and magnum by the pound every year. I usually buy from hopsdirect.

I've also bought willamette and centennial by the pound in the last year. I don't use willamette much but at $8 a pound, I was happy to try it and use it more often than in the past!

Thanks guys and exactly what I am looking for. On a side note Yooper FINALLY responded to one of my posts! Haha. Thanks Yooper over the years I have taken a lot of knowledge and ideas from a lot of your posts. Im sure you get that all of the time.

Well I am not sure I can get down to hopsdirect pricing but I am going to start researching to see what I can do. I had a guy buy several ounces of centennial earlier and I thought wow he was very close to a pound. If I carried one pound options I can still make a little money and then save that guy a few bucks too. Gotta be a win win!

I buy LBS from hopsdirect in the fall.

williamette
centennial
saaz
hallertau
Simcoe
AMarillo
USed to buy cascade, but I think my vines will have enough

One of the things that would be of benefit to me as a hop buyer is knowing where they came from. Probably not an easy thing for you to do, but in my mind I know that if Freshops has leaf hops that they grew I know they are going to be good. If I buy hops from my LHBS I know that they are likely going to be from a different source as they are out price shopping. In addition they leave everything lying around so you can see where they came from.

Unlike most I won't buy from Hopsdirect a second time. I was unimpressed with the quality of the leaf. Maybe pellets are better!

Thats interesting samc. I will also look at that aspect. I know that I can narrow it down to HopUnion but after that..........
But then again if I were to buy from a particular farm or a couple of farms I could tell you exactly.........
Interesting

Back