1" ID silicone tubing source??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Golddiggie

Reaction score
Looking for some 1" ID silicone tubing. I'm looking to use some for the outlet on my BK to the pump and maybe some other locations in my setup. Especially for my yeast drop/dump port from the conicals.

I could also go with 7/8" ID tubing if 1" isn't readily available. I do have a line on 7/8" barb with 1.5" TC fittings. But none for the 2" TC fittings. I'd like to go the slightly larger so that it's a more solid fit and doesn't require any clamps. I'd need to get a new set of clamps for use there if I end up with using 3/4" barb fittings.

I have performed Google searches for this, but am leery of ordering from a site I've never even heard of before. If you've ordered from a different (than the normal suspects) source, which positive results, post up a link and I'll check them out. I've looked at all the normal suppliers I use and the largest available (in the stuff you can see into) is 3/4". Putting 3/4" tubing onto 1" barbs doesn't go so well (have yet to get the two to mate). Tips/tricks for that?

I have lengths of both low (10psi burst) and higher (30psi burst) pressure rated. I was planning to use the higher rated for pump driven transfers and the lower for the yeast dumping.

McMaster selection is limited in 1" ID. They have some 7/8" ID but the price on that is insane.

I did manage to get the thinner wall stuff onto the barb for the yeast dumper. Now that it's on, I'm not planning to remove it again.

After tomorrow's brew session, I'll have a couple of weeks before brewing again. I'll have to figure out what I'm doing before then. I might just stick with the fittings with QDs and not change anything. Although I would like to feed more volume to the pump head from the BK, I'm not sure what I'll gain (if anything).

Just giving the batch a few more days to ensure things are finished before I do the yeast dump with the fitting I forced the 3/4" tubing over (1" barb) that will go onto the 2" fitting at the bottom of the CF10. I'll probably do that early in the week (Before Wednesday) so that I can dry hop before the cold crash/carbonate starts.

Would like some 7/8" ID tubing since it would be easier to push onto the barb than 3/4". Haven't located any 7/8" barbs for 2" TC fittings so far.

Just got an email from brewhardware.com that the 3/4"ID reinforced silicone tubing is back in stock. That is the largest they have. If you want 1" you might need a Goodyear vinter hose of some sort.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210613-220518_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210613-220518_Samsung Internet.jpg
    402.9 KB · Views: 7
There is very little practical difference in feeding a pump with 3/4 or 1" until you get to 1/2HP. 3/4" ID is plenty for even the Chugger Max 1/8HP. We have TC x 13/16" barbs specifically for high flow 3/4" ID tubing but unfortunately not in 2" TC.

Last edited:
Yeah, pretty much giving up on the 1" ID tubing. I wanted it more for the yeast dumping and such. I've forced the 3/4" ID tubing onto the 1" barb (2" TC fitting) for the yeast dumping and will give that a try before EOD tomorrow. That will be the two week mark from the yeast going into the batch in the CF10.

I figure it's a balance of what you already have vs. what you need to spend. Buy the expensive tube if you already have a ton of 1" fittings. Get the 3/4" tube if you're starting from scratch.

Yeast - if you mix it a little first, with beer, wort or water, it'll flow through either. If not... not. I think that'll be more method than tube diameter.

Yeast will be coming out of the bottom (2" TC butterfly valve) of the CF10. I'm not going to do anything to 'mix it' since I'm looking to harvest the yeast for use in a coming batch. Plus I want to be see if the yeast looks different between what comes out first and last. I have a 2" sight glass that will go after the installed valve, with another one after it which will have the barb fitting connected (along with the tubing).

Mixing up some StarSan tonight to be ready for the yeast drop tomorrow. Once the yeast comes out, a couple/few ounces of hop pellets will go in (hop dropper on the lid) for a few days before I either drop that out or just cold crash and carbonate. Depending on that is if I'll let it rest (or how long) post carbonating before putting the finished beer into keg and cans. I'll probably pull a flavor sample before adding hops and such. I can also degas that and get a gravity reading too.

I liked 1/2" ID tubing for yeast dumps because it provides some back pressure so you don't blast a mess out in one shot. It does require some pressure to do that so it's not going to work for 2-3psi fermenters.

I liked 1/2" ID tubing for yeast dumps because it provides some back pressure so you don't blast a mess out in one shot. It does require some pressure to do that so it's not going to work for 2-3psi fermenters.
The first CF10 has 5psi in it and the second is running at about 9psi (batch started on Saturday). I can always add more pressure if needed to get things moving. That being said, I have a second butterfly valve, with sight glass, that will go onto the installed 2" TC butterfly valve at the bottom of the fermenter. Plan is to play with the valves to get the yeast to flow, while looking at it in the sight glass either before, or as, it flows into the container.

I might do the first yeast dump during lunch time today. Depends on what's going on with "work" around then.

While I could use more 2" TC fittings to direct the yeast from the dump valve, I'd rather use the tubing so that I have more control. Plus it would allow me to place the receiving container on something lower and have a free hand to use on either valve. Sure, I could probably do that with the hard fittings, but I'd rather have options. Such as dumping into Mason/Ball jars instead of rectangular containers (I have both on hand).

Back