1" ID Food Grade hose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoa

Reaction score
I am looking for some 1" ID food grade, high temp, tubing or hose. This will be coming out of my boil kettle. I found this

http://www.mcmaster.com/#5567k26/=zis79x

Kind of spendy, but I think it will work since it says food grade and is good to 230 degrees. Am I wrong?

Here is the Disc, encase the link didn't work

Hose
ID 1"
OD 1 7/16"
Bend Radius 3"
Material Blended Rubber and Plastic
Maximum psi @ 72° F 150
Temperature Range -25 to 230° F
Color White
For Use With Wet Food Products

The super-smooth finish on the hose interior prevents product buildup. Hose material is 3-A, FDA, and USDA listed for use with dairy and other wet food. Hose is reinforced with synthetic fabric and a steel wire spiral. It can be used outdoors. Vacuum rating is 29" Hg @ 72° F.

Email them and ask what the plastic and rubber blend is. Its probably Santoprene or Tygron in which case you're good to go.

My question is though what is wrong with Platinum cured silicon, it will be alot cheaper and fine for beer?

Stuff like Tygron and Santoprene were designed for transporting highly reactive liquids under extreme mechanical stress.

That stuff is steel braid reinforced too, super pricey.

That's what I stated out looking for, but couldn't find 1" ID. Funny thing after I used the word "Platinum" I found some on McMastercarr. $5.87 a foot. Does that sound like a decent price?

If you have a hydroponic shop locally, go in and ask them about tubing. Often what they have is food grade. Just tellem what you plan on doing with it and they should be able to help you out.

There us food grade and the there's food grade. Peroxide cured silicon is food beer but it can still produce off flavours depending on how good the post curing is. I have had food grade peroxide silicon that smelt so bad that it literally stung my nose and eyes. Its food grade in that it won't kill you but it might taint your beer.

@soma $6 sounds good to me I pay almost twice that for 1/2" in the UK.

Back