1 Gallon High ABV Questions / Ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagicalBrewingPanda

Reaction score
Hi all, this is my first post and have looked at this site several times in the past year or so when I started this mad hobby. Couldn't find this exact question(probably because It's a ridiculous one) so I joined and here it goes.

This is just an experiment, But I was wondering if this 1 Gallon beer would need nutrients or not. Ive got yeast energizer, but from what I understand it's not the same as nutrients. This is what I intend to use tonight if all possible, just for fun really. This is what Ive got on hand.

-3 lbs Muntons Light DME
-1 Oz UK Sovereign hops (.3 Oz @60, 10, 5mins)???
-Nottingham

I also have a lot of corn sugar, a pound of Local private dark honey with bits of comb still in it I got from a friend, also some fresh red and green chile peppers, and a Giant Korean pear I could use. Just exploring the possibilities.

In a 2+ gallon glass cookie jar as a carboy, sanitized foil top. Putting it in my mini fridge w/ temp controller next to the grapefruit agave "mead" thing.

This would be my first batch without steeping grains, which is why I'm worried about body/nutrients.

Any ideas, thoughts or criticism will be much appreciated, as this is my first one gallon extract batch and Ive got this itch to brew something. The local HB Store is to many gallons of gas away for just this, can't make it for at least another week or two.

3 lbs of DME in1 gallon is going to give you an OG of 1.038, without the addition of any of thoee other sugars.

That is too high for Notty. If it doesn't die due to the high osmotic pressure (high sugar content), it will leave a sickly sweet beer. I would be surprised if you ended much below 1.050. 12% abv would be reached at around 1.045.

I think you are just wasting good ingredients.

Yes, that is way to much I see now(Guessing you meant 1.138) . For some reason I thought It was borderline but I wasn't taking things into account. Phew, that could've been a little disappointing. Im going to play around with beer smith trial run some more and see if I can work something out with what I got. I originally got the extract for future yeast starters, so ill store the remainder if I do anything tonight. I'm really not worried about wasting anything. Never made a beer that friends didn't want to drink, hopefully this isn't the first. Not shooting for the best beer ever obviously.

just wanted to know if dme and hops had enough nutrients for something strong. 6-8% ABV?

Correct, I meant 1.138.

You don't need any nutrients for 6, 8, or even 10%. I've never had a problem. Just make sure you aerate well.

Latest posts

Back