1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carbonating per bottle is a good option, or marking your fermenter/bottling vessel so you know roughly how much to actually expect and adjust to suit that.

BikerBrewer - I never knew about those BrewDemon Conicals. Those look fun - a little pricy for what they are, but definitely an exciting option to play with for a small fermenter.

Halbrust - I've been actively struggling trying to get the level of carbonation I want in small batches. I end up close, but never what I want. My bottling bucket has gradiations on it in ounces, so I usually transfer everything to the bucket, take the measurement and use that value for the priming calcs, then add the sugar water and stir VERY CAREFULLY. So far no issues with oxidation, but I just picked up a couple kegs so I'm super excited to get a better handle on carbing.

Edit -

Rave808, what kind of carb are you getting with the domino sugar cubes? That sounds like an AWESOME idea.

I'm having issues dialing in my carbonation level. I think it may be due to not having my volume known exactly.
Sometimes I get 6 bottles, once in a while I get 8.

Does anyone else have this problem? How have you dealt with it?

I'm pretty new to 1 gallon brewing, and have only actually bottled one batch so far, so take my advice for what it's worth.

Like you, I was concerned about accurately guaging my volume when doing my priming sugar calculation. So what I did was, I took an empty 1 gallon fermenter and filled it with water, then sat it next to my 1 gallon jug of ready-to-be-bottled beer and poured water out until the liquid levels were the same.

Then, I poured the water into my 5L Erlenmyer flask that I use for starters to get an accurate measurement of the total volume of the batch. Then, I poured the water back into the jug and dumped it until the water level was at the same level as the yeast/trub layer in the jug of beer. I then once again poured that water into the 5L Erlenmeyer flask to figure out how much volume that yeast/trub layer accounted for.

I simply subtracted the volume of the yeast/trub layer from the value I measured for the total volume, and used that number as my beer volume for priming sugar calculations. My total beer volume ended up being 2,250 mL. According to my research, a carbonation level of around 2.4 vols was appropriate for the style (American Brown Ale), and using the priming sugar calculator at Northern Brewer's website, I converted my volume to gallons and worked out exactly how much dextrose I needed. I weighed it out on the same little kitchen scale I use for weighing out my hops, boiled it with a half a cup of water, let it cool, then bottled as normal.

I'm pretty new to 1 gallon brewing, and have only actually bottled one batch so far, so take my advice for what it's worth.

Like you, I was concerned about accurately guaging my volume when doing my priming sugar calculation. So what I did was, I took an empty 1 gallon fermenter and filled it with water, then sat it next to my 1 gallon jug of ready-to-be-bottled beer and poured water out until the liquid levels were the same.

Then, I poured the water into my 5L Erlenmyer flask that I use for starters to get an accurate measurement of the total volume of the batch. Then, I poured the water back into the jug and dumped it until the water level was at the same level as the yeast/trub layer in the jug of beer. I then once again poured that water into the 5L Erlenmeyer flask to figure out how much volume that yeast/trub layer accounted for.

I simply subtracted the volume of the yeast/trub layer from the value I measured for the total volume, and used that number as my beer volume for priming sugar calculations. My total beer volume ended up being 2,250 mL. According to my research, a carbonation level of around 2.4 vols was appropriate for the style (American Brown Ale), and using the priming sugar calculator at Northern Brewer's website, I converted my volume to gallons and worked out exactly how much dextrose I needed. I weighed it out on the same little kitchen scale I use for weighing out my hops, boiled it with a half a cup of water, let it cool, then bottled as normal.

Another reason to finally buy an erlenmeyer flask! I like the method too. New or not. Good idea.

Average carbonation and they are cheap to use cheaper than carb drops or primetabs plus you can pick them up at grocery store

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

With S04 I've learned I need to up the sugar at bottling day if I want any kind of carb, most (using the calc) end up cask carbed and not US bottle carbed.

Thanks for that bit. I've been using S04 since the basement became cold. I've read that it ferments cleanly at low temps. But I've noticed low carbonation, and upped my priming sugar. I just thought it was because of the lower temps.

Hey folks - thinking of trying out "BrewCrate" - anyone heard of them or used them before? They seem relatively new, but they are a monthly "box" service that ships a new 1 Gallon recipe to you every month. Starting next month they will have two different recipes to choose from?
Sounds kinda fun - think I will give them a try. Next months recipe is "Full Steam Ahead" a California common "steamer" beer.

BikerBrewer - I never knew about those BrewDemon Conicals. Those look fun - a little pricy for what they are, but definitely an exciting option to play with for a small fermenter.

I sure like mine, usually use carb tabs when I bottle a batch and I bottle straight from the fermentor. Very quick and easy. Used a the bottling bucket on the Irish stout to get the carb level I wanted plus I added some sour stout to it as well.

Hey folks - thinking of trying out "BrewCrate" - anyone heard of them or used them before? They seem relatively new, but they are a monthly "box" service that ships a new 1 Gallon recipe to you every month. Starting next month they will have two different recipes to choose from?
Sounds kinda fun - think I will give them a try. Next months recipe is "Full Steam Ahead" a California common "steamer" beer.

Yes cool idea and newer company. I think I remember seeing something when they started. I never bought in since I could not find out how proven the recipes were.

I have brewed just one of their kits so far, and it's about two weeks from being ready to drink. However, I did have a good conversation with them prior to buying-in. They brew the kits themselves to make sure they can be consistent and to only sell kits that they like to brew and drink themselves.

The kit is packaged similar to the one-gallon Austin Homebrew kits...BIAB kit including just enough hops for the brew. They also throw twelve bottle caps in each box.

I plan to start my second kit tonight.

Sent using the Home Brew App.

I have brewed just one of their kits so far, and it's about two weeks from being ready to drink. However, I did have a good conversation with them prior to buying-in. They brew the kits themselves to make sure they can be consistent and to only sell kits that they like to brew and drink themselves.

The kit is packaged similar to the one-gallon Austin Homebrew kits...BIAB kit including just enough hops for the brew. They also throw twelve bottle caps in each box.

I plan to start my second kit tonight.

They have more info on their web site now that makes me want to buy in!

Why wait for them just take any recipe and divide by 5 and go to your home brew store.....if you need recipes just go on northern brewer or midwest or more beer sites they post all their recipes

I was going to say - I've got a back log of things to brew at least 15 recipies deep and I keep making new ones.

I can buy a LOT of grain for 20 bucks. Interesting model, just not for me it seems.

I'm still new and trying things out. I can see once I've got a grain mill set up and a fermentation chamber and other things where this model would wear out.

I am considering it purely for the aspect that I don't have to make a choice, and I will be forced to try a style I might not have if I did choose.

@Halbrust - Use carbonation fizz drops - they are like sugar pills. They save the headache of a bottling bucket and prevent bottle bombs. Also, very affordable when brewing at the 1 gallon scale.

This past weekend, I decided to scale up a 1 gallon recipe of centennial blonde (from hbt) to 2 gallons (first time attempt). I was about to ferment in my 2-gallon bucket, but I had used (for the first time) bleach to clean it. It smelled like a swimming pool even after several rinses, so i didn't dare put my wort in there. i fear it might be shot (used my old mr beer keg instead). Any tips on how to rescue a chlorine-laden bucket?

Also, tried out BIAB...anyone have any quick tips on how to clean the bag afterwards? There are still pieces of grain hanging out on it...

Thanks guys!

This past weekend, I decided to scale up a 1 gallon recipe of centennial blonde (from hbt) to 2 gallons (first time attempt). I was about to ferment in my 2-gallon bucket, but I had used (for the first time) bleach to clean it. It smelled like a swimming pool even after several rinses, so i didn't dare put my wort in there. i fear it might be shot (used my old mr beer keg instead). Any tips on how to rescue a chlorine-laden bucket?

Also, tried out BIAB...anyone have any quick tips on how to clean the bag afterwards? There are still pieces of grain hanging out on it...

Thanks guys!

No idea on rescuing the bucket, but for the bag I just turn it inside out, spray it down, let it dry and shake off any extra stuff. Then spray clean again.

Bucket should air out with time, but it'll take a bit. Just leave it open so it can breath.

All in all, it was probably better that you used the Mr.Beer keg anyway, they're 2.5+gal so you'll have more than enough headspace for the krausen.

BIAB clean up - I usually just dump the spent grains out in the compost heap, then invert the bag (inside out) and do a quick wash under a faucet to get the fine stuff off. You'll never get all of it off, but it's not a big deal. Just hang it dry and when dry you should be able to knock off all the other small stuff that didn't pop off in the hand wash.

I surprised that WB06 didn't get stressed from underpitching. What temp did you ferment at? I've been told that over 73-4 get you bubblegum, but under 65 gets you clove. I personally dislike bubblegum and banana, so I usually ferment low.

With S04 I've learned I need to up the sugar at bottling day if I want any kind of carb, most (using the calc) end up cask carbed and not US bottle carbed.

Exciting news for me - I got tired of playing around with bottle carbing, so I broke down and got three 3gal cornie kegs. Hoping to get the regulator and tank next paycheck, so I can start to get a good handle on carbonation - the one weak point I've been struggling with.

Took my ESB in for a tasting at the local HB gathering, got a ton of positive reviews. Really made me feel good, like I almost know what I'm doing.. LOL

Thank you for the insight with the S-04. I just brewed a ESB (specifically, the "common room" ESB recipe found in the recipes section of this forum) and pitched some S-04 for the first time. I've had my fermentation at a consistent 63 F so I'll be looking for some clover influences.

How much do you up the sugar on bottling day? I want to avoid cask carb.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Thanks matthias and sumbrewindude. As for the bag, you're right - once fully dry, the grains popped right off.

i went straight to 5 gallons on the first batch cause 1 gallon is only gonna last me 2 or 3 drinking sessions, then ill have to wait a few weeks to get more beer....

Thank you for the insight with the S-04. I just brewed a ESB (specifically, the "common room" ESB recipe found in the recipes section of this forum) and pitched some S-04 for the first time. I've had my fermentation at a consistent 63 F so I'll be looking for some clover influences.

How much do you up the sugar on bottling day? I want to avoid cask carb.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

No prob, just as a heads up though when I made the comment about the cloves I was refering to the WB06, which is Fermentis' hefewizen yeast, not S04 which is their english ale yeast. I usually ferment S04 on the cold side as well, usually 65deg and it's always been good to me. I've read (not tried though) that S04 fermented on the warm side (70+) can get fruity and estery, so something to think about if you're fermenting warm.

AFA the priming sugar thing, I usually clear about 1.4gal to the bottling bucket (sometimes less, sometimes more - but it's a good average number), which when putting things into the calc at 2.1vol/CO2 works out to be about 1oz of priming sugar.

According to the style, ESB's et all should be between 1.5-2.0vol/CO2 so I would have thought I'd be on the high side. Instead I ended up smack in the middle or near 2.0, as best I can figure. I supposed I'm just used to American beer and our carbonation, so I want to move it up to 2.4, that made me bump to 1.1-1.15oz (or 32g) of priming sugar. That should get me closer to where I hope to be.

For this next round of bottling, I've got a strong APA that I'm going to try the Domino sugar cube trick that Rave808 mentioned. I haven't done it before, so why not give it try.

It's only beer. :ban:

Make sure you get the cubes that equal 1/2 teaspoon they make 2 the other one is closer to 3/4 I believe it will say on side of box

I'm tired of hearing all you big boy 5-Gallon brewers telling us 1-Gallon brewers to step up. :D A lot of us brew 1-Gallon batches because that's all we have room for right now, not because we're afraid of stepping up our game. Trust me, if I could, I would, but in the meantime I'm actually really feeling the 1-Gallon game. Here's why:

Brew Day takes me about 3-4 hours, which includes cleanup.

I know one of the main points from 5-Gallon brewers is that "if you brew something amazing, you only have 10 bottles of it." My response- "Yea? So?" If I brew something amazing, chances are I'll brew something else amazing, and then perhaps I'll go back and brew that amazing beer again. And again.

5-Gallon brewers are always so quick to tell me- "Why put all that work in for just 10 beers." I'm not sure about you guys, but I don't consider my brew days as "work." I'm an insurance underwriter by day, but thoroughly enjoy cooking and now, brewing. I love the processes, and feel that it actually calms me. So work? I think not...

And lastly, I love the fact that I always have new things coming out of my pipeline. Yea, I just finished up drinking a really great IPA kit, but as sad as I may be to see it go, I can't wait to crack open my Weinstephaner Dunkel clone next! I'd rather have a few of LOTS of things than 50 of the same thing for 3 weeks.

So to all you big boy 5-Gallon + brewers out there, don't be so quick to hate on us 1-Gallon brewers. While eventually we'll graduate to your status, in the meantime, we're totally feeling what we've got going right now, and it's just as enjoyable for us, as it is for you. :rockin:

*Disclaimer*
This thread is not meant to pick a fight or evoke negativity. It is simply in jest, although, steeped in believed truths

Did you graduate yet?

On my brew day ,I brew a five gallon batch of beer I love ...Innkeeper,an irish Red or perhaps a dark stout....but always brew a 1 gallon of an non tested beer...something I never had....I brew both batches the same day....why not? all my gear is out, I put on music and go to abrewin....Seems to me a small batch is perfect to try a recipe you may or maynot enjoy....if you like it ...then make a large batch....My two batch brew and cleanup time is maybe an hour longer than just doing the single batch.
Most important .....More Beer....

Cheers!

IMO, the best thing about small batch brewing (other than the fact that I get to have a TON of different bottles in the basement to pick from and load up a 6pk container for the fridge upstairs) is the freedom to experiment and try things that are completely out of style for little cost. Some of these recipes I've seen on here with 10+oz hops on one 5gal batch, I can do the same thing with 3 - and still have extra left over for a separate brew later on. And honestly, I'm not a huge hop guy anyway so a little goes a long way for me.

The other really cool thing I've discovered about a lot of the recipes I've made, they're all built around 1.5gal - so scaling up is a breeze - a 24pack (3gal) or 36 (4.5gal) and they fit easily in my carboys with plenty of room for fermenting.

I suppose if I felt the need to have that kind of volume available I'd be looking at more-more-more, but I enjoy the craft more than the quantity.

Hard part comes when you make something really good, and then have to decide how to ration the few bottles you have, but hey - it's only beer.

You know what? Another awesome reason to small batch brew - you get to do crazy, off the wall crap like this soon to be done experiment:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/be...al-lithuanian-brewing-no-boil-hop-tea-368766/

How many large volume guys are going to line their tun with hay and assorted non-sense then no-boil a beer to open ferment for the sake of BEER!

:rockin:

Need to get out to the farm for some supplies and find some time to make that monster.

:D

IMO, Hard part comes when you make something really good, and then have to decide how to ration the few bottles you have, but hey - it's only beer.

+1 Once you hand out a couple bottles, have a couple friends over and they try it, then sit down to enjoy...your last bottle. :( I just dropped $150 2x for buckets, 2x better bottles, an autosiphon, and grain for a 2.5 gallon Edworts Haus Ale . Dont get me wrong, I started on 1 gallons and got hooked off 1 gallons, but I recently learned...if your gonna put in the time, do a bigger batch. Id rather dump 2 gallons of swill, then run out of something bomb after only my 3rd trip to the fridge lol.

But....

I just put a summer wheat in cold crsh couple hours ago, I have a choc. Stout on week 2 of conditioning, and a grapefruit ale starting 72 degree ferment on week 3. All 1 gallons and I am still going to keep those 1 gallon boys full. My 2 cents

Sent from my SGH-T699 using Home Brew mobile app

I hear you, Scout001.

I've got two 4gal carboys (that I'm using with 1.5gal right now for fun and headspace games) that are destined for 3gal batches once it warms up a bit. I still need to figure out why the burner is acting stupid and bypass the timer on it - but it's stinkin' cold out in the garage and I could just as soon whip out another two batches on the stove.

Come summer I hope to have a few "keepers" I'll scale up, I've already got a few pokes for the ESBee I did but I'm not totally happy with the recipe yet so I've got to tweak it.

Not to mention looking into an induction system so I can get off the coil top and into something with some boil power! :D

I hear you, Scout001.

I've got two 4gal carboys (that I'm using with 1.5gal right now for fun and headspace games) that are destined for 3gal batches once it warms up a bit. I still need to figure out why the burner is acting stupid and bypass the timer on it - but it's stinkin' cold out in the garage and I could just as soon whip out another two batches on the stove.

Come summer I hope to have a few "keepers" I'll scale up, I've already got a few pokes for the ESBee I did but I'm not totally happy with the recipe yet so I've got to tweak it.

Not to mention looking into an induction system so I can get off the coil top and into something with some boil power! :D

You using a turkey frier? Mine has a timer on the burner, I just reset it every 10 mins or so

Sent from my SGH-T699 using Home Brew mobile app

I hear you, Scout001.

Was the esbee recipe for a 1 gallon batch and if so would you be willing to post it here? I would love to brew something like that and if it is a hit scale it up to 5 gallons.

Scout001 - Right now I'm using the coil top on our Hotpoint. It can boil, but with large volumes it takes it's merry time. I got an unused turkey kit at a garage sale a year ago and we use the burner for canning, but the pot's been sitting idle so it's definitely got a purpose now. I've never used either for beer yet, as I need to bypass the PITA timer (easy enough, just haven't had time) and look into the regulator/jet (can't get a strong blue flame out of it, but it's been sitting out in the garage and it's a cheap Chinese burner). I'm thinking the cheap regulator may be my issue, but I'll play with it this summer as propane costs right now are through the roof up here.

Ideally, I'm going to go induction - wiring in a 220VAC outlet is easy, and being able to brew indoors in the cold is awesome.

Beersnob16 - It's for 1.5gal and should clear about 1.3-1.35gal into the bottling bucket, should be enough for 12 bottles and an 8oz vol for the hydro/sampler.

It's still a work in progress - I'm trying to tweak it in, honey malt is some powerful stuff.

XP EALE - ESBee - Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale)
========================================
Batch Size: 1.437 gal
Boil Size: 2.343 gal
Boil Time: 60.000 min
Efficiency: 70%
OG: 13.9 P
FG: 3.6 P
ABV: 5.5%
Bitterness: 38.2 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 13 SRM (Morey)

Fermentables
======================================
Name Type Amount
Simpsons - Maris Otter Grain 2.750 lb
Simpsons - Crystal Dark Grain 5.000 oz
Oats, Flaked Grain 4.000 oz
Honey Malt Grain 3.000 oz
Total grain: 3.500 lb

Hops
======================================
Name Alpha Amount Use Time Form IBU
Kent Goldings 4.8% 0.250 oz Boil 20.000 min Pellet 8.0
Kent Goldings 4.8% 0.250 oz Boil 5.000 min Pellet 2.6
Warrior 16.2% 0.140 oz First Wort 60.000 min Pellet 27.5

Yeast
=======================================
Name Type Form Amount
Safale S-04 Ale Dry 0.194 oz

For some reason the copy/paste to the clip board screwed up the hop additions so watch the times - Warrior is FWH, EKG is 20min/5min

Take your first runnings and boil for 10min to caramelize, then add the second runnings/FWH and start the boil.

Warning ** It's a work in progess - still trying to get it where I want it, and if you follow the ESB standard it's light on the hop side (which is fine for me as I want more balance than face slapping hops) **

Have fun!

Latest posts

Back