1 Gal Cream Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MedBrewer

Reaction score
Hiya all, I'm getting ready to brew my first cream ale (one gallon) and have a couple questions. The grain bill is .75 lbs 2row,.75lbs pilsner,.5 lbs flaked corn.
Mash @150F with 1/2gal for 60min, sparge @ 170F with one gal.
I have willamete hops and amarillo hops. I was told to add willamete at start of boil and amarillo at 55 min, but I'm not sure how much of each for 1 gal recipe? Any suggestions? Thanks

That doesn't make sense, as this is probably a 60 minute boil. That would mean you're adding two bittering additions and no flavor/aroma additions. Amarillo is usually used as a flavoring hop or a dry hop, while willamette is a very mellow dual purpose hop akin to some noble hops like saaz.

I'd use the willamette for the bittering and the amarillo as a FWH/Whirlpool hop while the wort is cooling down.

That's right, as I said Willamette at start of boil and Amarillo after 55 min. It will be a 60 min boil. I'm not sure how much of each though.

Back