1 brew in and going to all grain...suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevet

Reaction score
hey there
Just put my first extract brew in the primary a couple days ago. (made some improvements to a basic ale.. ie steeped some grain and two hop additions,)
And now I want to go grain. I have been researching for a while and just picked up a ss keg to convert to a HLT/brew pot. (planning to add another keg or two asap) Also doing the cooler conversion for a mash tun. Oh, and putting together a wort cooler.
all in! is my theory.
Anyway, any suggestions moving forward? maybe a good/easy recipe to start with?
thanks in advance... cheers

I'm in the same boat. I picked up my 3rd keg today to convert to keggles, already made the immersion cooler to chill the wort, and I'm starting to work on my plans for a piece of brewing scuplture.

I don't have a recipe, and being a noob, don't have much to offer but to suggest to read, read and read again, learning from the collective experience of the members on this forum.

Funny that you said "all in", I told the wife the same thing just yesterday.

Good luck...

thanks mtbcoach
let me know how you make out on your stand. i am still thinking of doing a keg for mash tun. just thought it would be faster doing the cooler.
good luck to you too
cheers

I'm in the same boat as well. Must be contagious. I did two IPAs with my neighbors turkey fryer, and I've purchased and cut my first Keggle. i'm going to go the BIAB route for awhile, and determine if I want to move on to MLT and HLT.

Steve, what type of brew do you enjoy? Have you perused the recipe section? I've done the Ruination extract recipe, and the Dogfish head 60 minute partial mash. My next brew will be Edworts hefeweisen next as a base for a long term lambic I want to try out.

Colby Jack

For a recipe, I would:

* Follow a recipe that is a single infusion...no fancy mashing techniques
* Avoid wheat as it could possibly cause lautering problems
* Make a low to normal gravity brew

Also figure out how you will move water and wort between your vessels be it pump, gravity, manually, etc.

Latest posts

Back