1 Barrel (volume) Fermentation Options

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlDogWV

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi folks!

I typically brew 5 or 10 gallon batches and will split the 10 gallon batches into two different fermentors, as I only own 5-6.5 gallon fermentors.

If things go like I hope, I have an opportunity to brew approximately a barrel for a special event later on in the year. My hot side home brew house can handle that, however, I only have the smaller carboys and buckets for fermentation.

I am hoping to get some advice or suggestions for options that don't include buying a new $3,000 conical. Do any of you have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

This:
IMG_0015.JPG

We brewed enough to fill a whiskey barrel, took some work, on 2 systems, 10 and 12 gallon batches at a time, over a couple days. It was a hell of a weekend! 65 gallons - 55 for the barrel, 5 gallon to compare that didn't go in the barrel, and another 5 gallons to offset the "angel's share".

This:
View attachment 668160

We brewed enough to fill a whiskey barrel, took some work, on 2 systems, 10 and 12 gallon batches at a time, over a couple days. It was a hell of a weekend! 65 gallons - 55 for the barrel, 5 gallon to compare that didn't go in the barrel, and another 5 gallons to offset the "angel's share".
This is what I was trying to avoid. lol

That looks interesting. Ever use this? The optional valves and accessories create questions for me. lol
It’s a large mouth carbon, should be perfect. I would personally look into some type of dolly system to move it or build a stand guy can run a pump to because it’s going to weigh close to 265lbs filled

Last edited:
This isn't going to help with a full bbl, but I've used Sanke kegs for fermenting 10-12 gallon batches. Living in a college town, they're pretty easy to find for cheap and then you just need to pull the spear and add a conversion kit. Here's one: https://www.amazon.com/Jaybird-Sanke-Fermenter-Standard-Racking/dp/B06XDSRCN9

Pros: Pressure-transfer capable, very sturdy, relatively cheap for a 15g fermenter
Cons: Hard to clean (and see inside), heavy, not that much cheaper than a cheap bucket 15g fermenter

For about $100 more you can get a Unitank Kegmenter. Same advantages as a keg, but with a wide mouth for easier cleaning and inspection.

That looks interesting. Ever use this? The optional valves and accessories create questions for me. lol
I haven’t. I have looked at them very closely but realized it would be very rare I wanted a full barrel of the same thing. Instead I opted for:
For about $100 more you can get a Unitank Kegmenter. Same advantages as a keg, but with a wide mouth for easier cleaning and inspection.
https://www.morebeer.com/products/kegmenter-fermentation-keg-153-gal.html

Pros (compared to the speidel):
-Stainless instead of plastic- I can heat sanitize if I want and I can also scrub with abandon and not worry about scratches.
-Pressure rated. I can experiment with spunding or pressure transfer with zero worries.
-Ball lock fittings and floating dip tube. Finish ferment, attach fittings, fill keg(s). No racking arm, no watching liquid levels with a siphon or racking cane.

Cons compared to the speidel:
-1/2 BBL total volume vs what appears to be 1 BBL plus head space. You’d probably want three kegmenters for 1 BBL finished product instead of one speidel
- Because of the above, cost, cost, and cost. Although with the current sale price it’s still only ~20% of your 3k conical budget ;)

Well-sanitized bathtub? I'm not kidding, fermentation vats are after all just giant bathtubs.

Hi folks!

I typically brew 5 or 10 gallon batches and will split the 10 gallon batches into two different fermentors, as I only own 5-6.5 gallon fermentors.

If things go like I hope, I have an opportunity to brew approximately a barrel for a special event later on in the year. My hot side home brew house can handle that, however, I only have the smaller carboys and buckets for fermentation.

I am hoping to get some advice or suggestions for options that don't include buying a new $3,000 conical. Do any of you have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
blue or white plastic 55g drum.. Many nanos use these.

That's a thought, thanks!

I was hoping there were cheap large fermenters out there somewhere.

Found these on a Google search: https://www.ntotank.com/cone-bottom-tanks. Anyone ever try something like these?
I use four 110 gallon versions of these in my nanobrewery... stainless cooling coils and heat wraps ... first off they are oxygen permeable and the lids are impossible to get a good seal on even with silicone and seals added.
for these reasons we have 3 3.5bbl stainless unitanks on order to be delivered possibly this week.

But for home brewing were a person is only legally allowed to brew 100 gallons per adult in the household a year I would think buying 70+ gallon conicals would be a bit uncommon and its too big for most pilot systems so I dont think theres a whole lot of options in this range except those marketed to the smallest nanos and most of that stuff is even more ridiculously priced than its larger counterparts since many of the suppliers are taking advantage of the new startups ignorance and impatience.

Just for reference I just bought these 3.5 bbl dual zone jacketed and insulated unitanks with the accessories for almost a grand less a piece than these comparable jacketed 1bbl tanks linked below the photo...
10.jpg

https://www.blichmannengineering.co...mQA655wuyDibh_PULoPEc_9X8Cf8iq7RoC8dAQAvD_BwE

even the cheapest non jacketed chinese conicals in the 1 bbl range seem to still be about a grand each. bubbas barrels or these are some of the best priced options ive seen
https://www.beveragefactory.com/hom...5iQpHnY8pkkdusFzJVwonZXLHEG6MZ3xoCEoYQAvD_BwE

Latest posts

Back