1/6th barrel keg (pony keg)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UTDoug

Reaction score
Does anyone know if pony kegs (1/6th barrel) are easily fillable? I want a 5 gallon keg I can fit in a fridge that isn't a dedicated keggerator, but the 5 gal. cornelius kegs really don't fit at all b/c they are so long/tall.

Hook'em,
Doug:rockin:

i believe pony kegs are actually 1/4 barrel and are 7.75 gallons.

if ball lock kegs are too tall, you may wan to look in to pin-lock kegs as they are shorter and fatter.

i go to UT too. i'm already tired of school...

what fridge are you using for your kegerator?

Kegs used to have a cork on one side, and you might be able to find one (I used to have a 1/2 keg 15.5 gallons). Easy to fill, but sanitary wasn't as easy as a cornelius keg. My recommendation is to buy a bigger fridge.

From my reading a pony keg is a 1/4 barrel, 7.75 gallons

A sixth keg (a sixth of a barrel) is 5 gallons.

I am looking for sixth kegs, does anyone know where I could buy these online??

gnef said:

you do anything over at the nurophysiology department?
I've got a friend that just started over there.

I have nothing on the 1/6 kegs.

nope, i'm still a student, also working for a professor in integrative biology.

and brewing beer is expensive for a college student!

yeah, a pony keg is 7.5 gallons, but you could fill that with CO2 pretty easily, and it'd only take up one row instead of having to take out all the shelves in the fridge. I've got some old Kenmore number that I could fit in a keg if I angled it, but then again there is the problem of pissin' off the roommate who only drinks "the big three" (bud, coors, miller lite)

3 gallon soda kegs are an awesome option, but ppl want $100 a pop for new or used if you look at ebay.

Hook'em,
Doug

gnef said:

I hear that, I just started my 6th year of college :eek:

who would have thought finding 1/6th kegs would be so difficult, I found nothing on ebay, and only 1 place that sells them and they were in Ohio.

haha. i don't do many calculations... yet. right now i'm doing experiments for drought resistance differences between many ecotypes of arabidopsis thaliana... but anyway...

1/6'th kegs just don't seem to be that common to me. when i visited the sweetwater brewery in atlanta while i visited, all they had were the half barrels and the quarter barrels (sanke and pony). i think it makes more financial sense to have fewer sizes.

if anything, you could try your local scrapyard, i've heard they have a lot of stainless. i plan on going to some around austin in the near future just to see what is available.

1/6'th kegs just don't seem to be that common to me. when i visited the sweetwater brewery in atlanta while i visited, all they had were the half barrels and the quarter barrels (sanke and pony). i think it makes more financial sense to have fewer sizes.

1/6 kegs are pretty common... you'll see them in a lot of pubs. I have several myself. Keep in mind that Sankey is the valve type... nothing to do with size.

I don't know anything about kegs....yet (crossing fingers for upcoming B-day).
My assesment on the fridge situation is....who owns the fridge? If it's yours, I say put your keg of homebrew inside and let roomate find a cooler or something for his BMC.

I really just wanted to say.......GO BUCKS!!!

That's only a little off-topic.
Will either of you UT folks get to go to the game?

Thanks for the kegs.com link. Unfortunately, like everyone else, when you call for availability there are never 3 gal. kegs and the only 1/6th ball lock i found was $110 or something like that.

I've got a ticket for the UT/Ohio State game, you buckeyes are lucky the game's not at noon 'cause y'all would melt.

In my opinion, its the fault of brewing companies for not charging a higher deposit if they don't want their kegs to wander off...

well that is what will happen if people continue to take the kegs. take north by northwest for example. next time you go, ask how much it costs for the sanke keg deposit. i believe it was 100... a bit prohibitive, but it is to prevent people to just take the keg for the deposit.

i just found their policy:

http://www.nxnwbrew.com/beertogo.php

it's 100 cash for the deposit.

it's called an honor system for a reason. please don't steal the kegs for the deposit.

gnef said:
that's not quite legal...

Probably not illegal, but it is certainly an abuse of the rental agreement.

UTDoug said:
In my opinion, its the fault of brewing companies for not charging a higher deposit if they don't want their kegs to wander off...

Cognitive distortion. Kegs don't wander off. Each person is responsible for his own behavior.

Back