1/2" stainless coupling (longer lengths)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berrywise

Reaction score
I'm going to start using a bottom drain keggle for my mash tun and in doing so I purchased a tri-clover conversion kit from brewhardware.com. The issue I've run into is that the setup only drops a couple of inches and based on the design of my stand I need it to be even lower.

tcbottomdrainkit.png

The tri-clover is male threaded and fits into a female threaded elbow. I was thinking if I could find a 1/2" female threaded coupler that was more than the standard 1" or so that most people sell I could then swap out the elbow for a male to female threaded one and add some distance.

I've been googling this afternoon but have been unable to find something. Anyone know of any good sources for such a part?

If all else fails I'm sure i could use a normal coupling and then add a piece of pipe that is male threaded on each end but would rather get a cleaner setup.

Help!

How much lower do you need? I ended up having the same problem. I got 3 of these, 1 for each keg.

These add about 1.25" after threading in, it's a 1/2" mpt to 1/2" fpt and for only $3.

How much lower do you need? I ended up having the same problem. I got 3 of these, 1 for each keg.

These add about 1.25" after threading in, it's a 1/2" mpt to 1/2" fpt and for only $3.

I did see those on Bobby's site but was hoping to add about three inches to allow for me to have my three piece ball valve below the actual stand. If I had the valve stick out in front of the stand that would probably work.

Here is a photo of my stand. I plan to use a good sized hole saw bit to drill a hole in the top.

brewstand02_zps1e9cf157.jpg

My table is about the same thickness and 1 worked for me, but it is pretty close to the top. I threaded the ball valves with the handle on the underside (off centered enough to put a hose on). I couldn't find anything else anywhere near the price range. I suppose you could try 2 and threading them together.

I tried a holesaw too and that was a PITA...

I wanted to be able to remove the triclover rig with the keg sitting in place, and having a bigger hole is just a lot easier in general. So I used my angle grinder. Started off with a pint glass to make the pattern, but that ended up being too small, so I used one of my false bottom filter stands from Norcal for the pattern and cut them all bigger.

IMG_0271.JPG

IMG_0272.JPG

IMG_0277.JPG

My table is about the same thickness and 1 worked for me, but it is pretty close to the top. I threaded the ball valves with the handle on the underside (off centered enough to put a hose on). I couldn't find anything else anywhere near the price range. I suppose you could try 2 and threading them together.

I tried a holesaw too and that was a PITA...

I wanted to be able to remove the triclover rig with the keg sitting in place, and having a bigger hole is just a lot easier in general. So I used my angle grinder. Started off with a pint glass to make the pattern, but that ended up being too small, so I used one of my false bottom filter stands from Norcal for the pattern and cut them all bigger.

Thanks for the responses guys. I should note that one of the reasons for the lack of space is that my brewstand top is a slab of butcher block wood. Hard to see in my first photo.

brewstand01_zpsc7a5fa8d.jpg

If nothing else I could go 1/2" coupler to shorter male threaded pipe to 90 deg elbow and still come out not paying an arm and a leg.

I'm going to start using a bottom drain keggle for my mash tun and in doing so I purchased a tri-clover conversion kit from brewhardware.com. The issue I've run into is that the setup only drops a couple of inches and based on the design of my stand I need it to be even lower.

tcbottomdrainkit.png

The tri-clover is male threaded and fits into a female threaded elbow. I was thinking if I could find a 1/2" female threaded coupler that was more than the standard 1" or so that most people sell I could then swap out the elbow for a male to female threaded one and add some distance.

I've been googling this afternoon but have been unable to find something. Anyone know of any good sources for such a part?

If all else fails I'm sure i could use a normal coupling and then add a piece of pipe that is male threaded on each end but would rather get a cleaner setup.

Help!

I was thinking if it fits that the easiest would be to get a couple of 45° elbows and a barrel nipple to push it down (and forward). How far do you need to drop it? If 5.6" drop is ok then it will cost you $11 plus shipping from Bobby and it will end up sticking out pretty much as far as the normal one.
TC -> 45° elbow -> 8" nipple -> 45° elbow -> 3" nipple

45° Elbow = $4 each + 3" nipple = $3

Ohhhh, yea I totally would not angle grind that, haha. You should have just enough clearance between the triclover fitting on the keg and the top of the table if you just wanted to drill like a 2" hole. You'll have to thread/unthread some fittings when it needs to be taken apart instead of just popping off the whole assembly at the triclover...but I've only had to do that once so far.

Also, that's a real purdy looking stand there. Did you have it professionally photographed as well?

I think that's a pretty fair way to go. I can also supply the kit with a TC adapter with female NPT threads so you can put a 3" nipple in there first.

This is why I should talk to you before I place my orders :p By the way the extra long dip tube you got me worked perfectly. I used my pipe cutter to knock of a just a hair of it and it was a perfect fit for my hot liquor tank.

I'll get an order in for the female tri clover (I didn't even realize you sold em!) and nipple.

Back