1/2 keg question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M4car223

Reaction score
I tried doing a search but was overloaded with conversions to kettle threads so....

We are taking over my in-laws house and my father-in-law is leaving me his 2 kegerators. Both have empty Budweiser 1/2 kegs in them. Has anyone, or does anybody know of someone who has, converted a 1/2 keg into a refillable keg for use in home brewing? Is it already possible to do with out modifications and I am just clueless?

If not, I figure I just have to weld a gas in post and liquid out post to thread some ball lock connections on..........right? Possibly modify the top to add the beer and make it easier to clean?

Sorry if this has been covered, just getting going on kegging.

Welcome to the world of sanke kegging. You will have plenty of support around here. Many of us use sankes although sometimes it seems like everybody uses soda kegs.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZPfZ_AL380[/ame]

I had always seen stuff about sanke kegs but honestly never knew what they were and didn't ever really take time to research. My biggest problem now would be getting that much beer ready to be put into a 1/2 keg.

Thanks for the reply and teaching me something!

No problem at all - sounds like you've probably already got a good set up for getting into the kegging portion of homebrew. Sankes are very good because you don't need a lot of pieces and parts. Just make sure you release the pressure out of those kegs before you pop the tops. Also just know that the first time you open one its a huge ***** but after 3-4 times you get the hang of it. I can open mine in less than 5 seconds now.

I am a diesel mechanic by trade, so the retainer doesn't scare me too much. Since I am not in the house yet (July 1 move in) and I will be busy painting and unpacking and dealing with the abortion of a yard, how do the tops seal? O-ring?

Also, would there be any issue with me putting just a 5 gallon batch in the 1/2 keg aside from wasting co2 to fill the head space?

no problems at all. You may be able to trade someone a 1/2 keg for a 1/6 barrel sanke, which is the 5 gallon variety.

It does seal with a O-Ring. Basically in that youtube video the guy is prying out the O-Ring/retainer and then sitting it back in there.

My best piece of advice on getting the retainer out - measure the "gap" where that guy inserts his pocket knife tool in the video. Go out and try to get a sturdy/durable flat head screwdriver to fit in the width of that gap and it will be the best tool in your home brewing box. It will be a small screwdriver so the key is to get something that can handle a pretty good amount of torque without bending or breaking.

Back