1/2 barrel system set up questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasonhend

Reaction score
So, I've made a three vessel system out of three used kegs and hooked everything up the other day to try it out. The one problem I had was there were a lot of places that air got trapped in the hoses and would make the pump not pump. If I primed them manually everything worked great but, doing this with hot wort will be a problem. ( I only used cold water to test). My pumps are mounted at the bottom of the kegs and I don't think I have any excessive hoses lenthgs. Is there something I'm missing? Or is this a normal thing for this type of system. Sorry I don't have pictures. Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance

It was a learning process for me. Key was normally to remember that I need to throttle the pump on the output (usually with a valve on the input at the next vessel) until I get flow then I can increase speed. All your pumps should be set to be able to flood the heads with gravity alone.

It drove me crazy for about 5 batches but over time I just learned to work with them.

Thanks. I may move my pumps down a bit to get better suction head. And look for a way to throttle them.

So a few more points.
  • Tubing - half inch inner diameter silicone hose/tubing is standard
  • Camlocks - these are really awesome way to connect and reconnect tubing. More secure than barbs and larger bore than quick connects. This is a great place to get them: Camlock Quick Disconnects
  • Get the bigger bore camlocks where there is option. You want 1/2 inch inner diameter all the way through. That type C and type BL are for your hoses. You will probably need a few different hoses. I think I have four, some of which get used in different ways during the brew day, moving from pot to pot.
  • Make sure there are no kinks in your hose. Sometimes the hose looks ok until it gets full of hot water and then it sags creating a restriction. The BL style camlock from brewhardware.com works well to battle this issue.
  • Put a ball valve on each port on each pot and the type F camlock on the ball valve.
So when you are getting ready to start pumping the order is
  1. Open the valve on the kettle you are pumping from all the way.
  2. Open the valve on the kettle where you are trying to pump to all the way. Look for liquid rising up in the return line, and then close the return valve part way. A good starting point for next step might be 10% open.
  3. Turn on the pump, verify you have flow, and then gradually open the valve on the kettle you are pumping to until desired flow is reached.
  4. As the water or wort gets hotter I think it tends to vaporize in the lines and can vapor lock your pump. So you may not be able to pump boiling wort as fast as for example mash temp wort.

You never throttle the pump using the valve on the kettle leading to the pump. That valve is only used when the pump is turned off and you are disconnecting hoses.

Back