1.088 OG starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dukes7779

Reaction score
I have an activator packet to make a starter for a IIPA with an OG of 1.088. I was going to do a 2L starter......sound OK? Does it matter what I make the starter in? I don't have anything glass in a 2 liter size and was thinking of using an empty 1/2 gallon milk jug. Anyone use atypical starter containers??

I'd be reluctant to use a milk jug because i would worry that it wasn't cleaned out completely. BUT ..... if it's well cleaned and sanitized, I can't think of a reason why you couldn't use it.

I did just find a 1.5 L wine bottle I will use. Hopefully I'll get enough growth.

Do you mean that the starter will be 1.088? Because that's very high for a starter.

No. The the OG of the IIPA i'm making is estimated to be 1.088.

I have heard that Mr. Malty over estimates often. Wyeast (which is what i'm using) says that one packet without a starter is good for a 5 gallon batch up to 1.060.

Wyeast (which is what i'm using) says that one packet without a starter is good for a 5 gallon batch up to 1.060.

Are you implying that Wyeast may not know as much if not more about yeast than Jamil Zainasheff? If so I agree. I've never had a problem with smack packs.

I have heard that Mr. Malty over estimates often. Wyeast (which is what i'm using) says that one packet without a starter is good for a 5 gallon batch up to 1.060.

Are you implying that Wyeast may not know as much if not more about yeast than Jamil Zainasheff? If so I agree. I've never had a problem with smack packs.

Mr Malty's pitch rate calculator was made in conjunction with Chris White of White Labs, so it wasn't just Jamil doing the work. It gives an accurate reading for pitching at the recommended rate of somethingmillion yeast cells per milliliter of wort. Can you pitch at below the recommended rate? Sure! Almost all homebrewers using liquid yeast do this, myself included. The nice thing about yeast is that they make more of themselves.

Mr Malty's pitch rate calculator was made in conjunction with Chris White of White Labs, so it wasn't just Jamil doing the work. It gives an accurate reading for pitching at the recommended rate of somethingmillion yeast cells per milliliter of wort. Can you pitch at below the recommended rate? Sure! Almost all homebrewers using liquid yeast do this, myself included. The nice thing about yeast is that they make more of themselves.

Oh I'm not saying that the research isn't sound, just that a smack pack works quite well on its own. As does pitching on a yeast cake.

That is true in as much that a smack pack is fine for must normal gravity beers IMHO and a yeast cake isn't going to ruin anything I brew.

That is true in as much that a smack pack is fine for must normal gravity beers IMHO and a yeast cake isn't going to ruin anything I brew.

if you are trying to get esters from your yeast that certain styles, esp belgians then you wouldn't necessarily want to over pitch with a yeast cake

proper pitch rates are important for proper yeast characteristics

you may be able to get by just fine with under pitching or over pitching but that doesn't mean that pitch rates aren't still important

AFAIAC, they're wrong. I say that knowing the Wyeast people (including the head lab guy) and the fact that they sell a yeast with my name on it. I base my opinion on my own experience. I would never direct pitch a smack pack into any wort over 1.040 OG.

Try some experiments....split a batch and pitch a smack pack in one half and a starter in another. Split a batch and ferment one half with a full slurry and the other half with 1/3-1/2 of the slurry. I did both of those and that's the basis for my opinion. If you don't try it, you'll never know for certain.

if you are trying to get esters from your yeast that certain styles, esp belgians then you wouldn't necessarily want to over pitch with a yeast cake

proper pitch rates are important for proper yeast characteristics

you may be able to get by just fine with under pitching or over pitching but that doesn't mean that pitch rates aren't still important

+100000000000000000000000000000

I equate brewing to cooking quite a bit.

Just because you can make a ribeye in the microwave, doesn't mean you should.

Try some experiments....split a batch and pitch a smack pack in one half and a starter in another. Split a batch and ferment one half with a full slurry and the other half with 1/3-1/2 of the slurry. I did both of those and that's the basis for my opinion. If you don't try it, you'll never know for certain.

Denny, where are your results, did you document them? I mean this in a positive way, I would love to read your findings!

Nope, it was more of a test than a real experiment. The smack pack vs. starter is based on about 6 tests and subjective tasting. The split slurry had much clearer results and required only 3 tests to confirm to my subjective tasting.

Which was better with the whole slurry vs part slurry experiment? Are you talking about washed yeast or just pitching on what was in there?

Back