08-08-08

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

08-08-08 What to do?

• Brew on 08-08-08

• Drink on 08-08-08

Results are only viewable after voting.
The Bier Muncher Bottle Filler. Same great filling-from-a-keg action, but with 1/10th the cost! :fro:

Brewpastor said:
BMBF? I am not breaking the code on this one. Bad Methane Beer Farts?

This slayed me, especially after the homebrew tasting I went to last night. SWMBO earned those flowers I brought her.

can somon post the all grain recipe for 888RIS. can somon post the recipe, this is my secend all grain and the recipe i found dosint tell me how much water to add and how to sparge at what times. i want to batch sparge this time. if anyone can help thenks so much.

GarciasHomeBrew said:
can somon post the all grain recipe for 888RIS. can somon post the recipe, this is my secend all grain and the recipe i found dosint tell me how much water to add and how to sparge at what times. i want to batch sparge this time. if anyone can help thenks so much.

There are numerous links to the post throughout this thread. Here's one of them : https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=458152&postcount=160

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=44981 gives you links to all the different aspects of the 080808 swap we're doing.

Man, I tried a sip using a cobra tap 3 weeks ago and there was still a lot of bitterness. Yesterday I tried it again....WOW, what a difference, so smoooooth. Mmmmm, is it August yet?:mug:,

The tasting at the homebrew meeting was inconclusive - it's malty and rich, but maybe a bit too roasty, not hoppy enough.... age will help. Definitely seemed too young still. Not enough alcoholic "heat" - could be a good thing or bad thing.

chriso said:
The tasting at the homebrew meeting was inconclusive - it's malty and rich, but maybe a bit too roasty, not hoppy enough.... age will help. Definitely seemed too young still. Not enough alcoholic "heat" - could be a good thing or bad thing.

This sounds close to what I got at my meeting. Two BJCP judges said it was too roasty and not hoppy enough. They thought I used Black Patent in the grain bill, but of course that's not the case. Everyone else loved it. Let's see what happens in August.

I feel so weird saying this about a Russian IS but..... Could I have mashed..... TOO HIGH?

(cue dramatic music DUM DUM DUMMMMMMM)

I'm kind of embarrassed to be posting this, but my 888 tied for first place yesterday at my LHBC meeting tasting. There were only fifteen beers, but hey, it was my first time doing this in front of fifty people, and it's California Homebrew club of the year. Funny thing is I voted for the beer that tied me. Guys were begging me to put this away for a year before touching it again. I've opened four so far, and will not touch it again until August. Great recipe Chriso and BP.

korndog said:
I'm kind of embarrassed to be posting this, but my 888 tied for first place yesterday at my LHBC meeting tasting. There were only fifteen beers, but hey, it was my first time doing this in front of fifty people, and it's California Homebrew club of the year. Funny thing is I voted for the beer that tied me. Guys were begging me to put this away for a year before touching it again. I've opened four so far, and will not touch it again until August. Great recipe Chriso and BP.

That is thoroughly embarassing. Congrats!:mug:

That is really cool. Do put it down and see what happens.

korndog said:

It's ok, my 888 just took home the highest score in a competition in Memphis, TN. Didn't do squat in BOS round, though. :mug:

PseudoChef said:
It's ok, my 888 just took home the highest score in a competition in Memphis, TN. Didn't do squat in BOS round, though. :mug:

That is fantastic. Someone needs to start an 888 competition results thread. I have some in an upcoming comp and I imagine others do as well. 45 is a fantastic score, especially for a brew that young!

PseudoChef said:

Great job on the gold and 45! I won beer of the day at our monthly club meeting with mine, but didn't re-bottle for the major competition out here.

korndog said:
I'm kind of embarrassed to be posting this, but my 888 tied for first place yesterday at my LHBC meeting tasting. There were only fifteen beers, but hey, it was my first time doing this in front of fifty people, and it's California Homebrew club of the Year.

It was damned good too, I'm normally not a fan of that style, but yours was very nice! It got my vote.

BigKahuna said:
Is it too late to try an extract version of your 8-8-8 RIS?
Man...I took 8 years off of brewing...Should seem only right to come back with an 8-8-8?
Also, is there anyone planning to brew an 8-8-8 ON that date? Maybe a second batch cause the first was so good?

I'm in BK. I just found this thread (and read all 38 pages). I myself took probably 15 years off from brewing and only started again a couple of months ago. I am definitely in for putting a batch of this up on the day itself.

Now to figure out how I can participate in the drinking of the stuff brewed on new years . . . .

Well, I finally sampled this RIS after five months of bulk aging and a week in the keg. Wow. This one is a winner, and will definitely see repeat brews.

Now, I'd better bottle it up soon. My "sample" turned into three pints. Yummy! I didn't find the flavor to be too roasty, and I thought the level of hops was just about right. At a FG of 1.022, it tasted a bit dryer than I thought it would, which I chalk up to the 8% ABV.

Thanks for a great recipe, Brewpastor.

You are welcome, but also, thanks to everyone for making this brewing such fun!

My test batch, which is simply a stronger variation of this, is the base for two beers I have going to Nationals. So I have to agree that this recipe is a keeper.

Anyone tried their 888 lately? I missed brewing this in January but I'm planning on brewing it on 8/8. Wondering if anyone would suggest any adjustments on the recipe or just brew per the original recipe. I'll just be steeping the specialty grains and using DME for my base. I read some comments re it being a little too roasty back in April or so. Has it mellowed since then? I prefer my stouts roughly half way between sweet and ashy but tending toward the sweet side.

Any suggestions on brewing this bad boy other than pitching large and good fermentation temp control? This will be my first time brewing a beer this big.

Anyone tried their 888 lately? I missed brewing this in January but I'm planning on brewing it on 8/8. Wondering if anyone would suggest any adjustments on the recipe or just brew per the original recipe. I'll just be steeping the specialty grains and using DME for my base. I read some comments re it being a little too roasty back in April or so. Has it mellowed since then? I prefer my stouts roughly half way between sweet and ashy but tending toward the sweet side.

Any suggestions on brewing this bad boy other than pitching large and good fermentation temp control? This will be my first time brewing a beer this big.

This was a good recipe. My batch took Honorable Mention - Best in Show at a local comp last month.

I wouldn't change a thing.

I might perhaps add 2# more base grain???

Nah seriously it's a really good recipe. I'd try it as-is first, then 3 months later, try your first bottle, realize you're going to drink it all in, like, no time, and then brew another one for New Years :D :D :D

I just realized that I'm meant to drive to Iowa on 8-8. This sucks. :(

Maybe I'll drink them in the morning! Then I can just make SWMBO drive the truck! :D

I really can't wait to review these! SO EXCITED! ALMOST ZERO HOUR!

Hey Guys-

I'm interested in making this but I only have a 5 gallon MLT. Do you think there is a way to scale it down a little so I can use my MLT? Thanks for your help!

I have an important announcement to make.

Those that have sent me 888 brews will not have their brews reviewed on 888. It will probably be about a week late.

I am soliciting the help of a very special guest reviewer. It's a secret.

That is all.

Llama, the easiest thing to do would be to brew a 2.5 gallon batch. You can get those numbers by using BeerTools/BeerSmith/ProMash/what have you... enter all the numbers for a 5 gallon batch, then use the built-in Scale function.

You'll still want to make sure that the grain will fit - use the calculator on http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml to make sure.

Edit: Here, I finally got BeerSmith reinstalled on my virtual pc, here's a converted one!

Copy of 08-08-08 Russian Imperial Stout
Batch Size: 2.50 gal
Boil Size: 3.49 gal
Boil Time: 60 min

7 lbs 2.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 78.43 %
10.7 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 7.38 %
8.0 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 5.50 %
3.2 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 2.21 %
3.2 oz Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 2.21 %
3.2 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 2.20 %
3.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 2.06 %

0.90 oz Warrior [16.00 %] (60 min)
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.75 %] (10 min)
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.75 %] (1 min)

Est Original Gravity: 1.088 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.023 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 8.51 %
Bitterness: 88 IBU
Est Color: 50.8 SRM

I really don't appreciate all the talk about cracking open your bottles on Friday. I'll be brewing it while you're drinking it! Just picked up the ingredients today. Had to sub Summit for the Warrior hops and US Goldings for the Fuggles. LHBS was also out of White Labs Cali. V yeast so I got the Dry English Ale WLP007.

I wanted to brew this on friday, I have some warrior and nugget. But no EKG. Would Sterling work in a pinch? What about Hallertaur? I reeally dont want to use my simcoe or cascades in it if I dont have to.

Hallertauer would be interesting! :D

I won't be able to brew another batch for a couple weeks... full fermenters... but rest assured I'm gonna have another 888 RIS, a 1.070 Holiday ale (dont know which yet) and a Barleywine all 3 chuggin' away in primary by about September 15. Time for some BIG beers to go into bottles for a while. (Thankfully the pipeline is full-ish for a couple weeks! Gotta empty some kegs so I can fill 'em again!)

I think I'm trying one of my RISes tonight, and then doing my "official" sampling on Sunday for SWMBOs birthday, OR on Tuesday for MY birthday. Expect all my reviews to be up by the end of next week. Maybe. (State Fair stewarding in the AM and club picnic in the PM on next Saturday, so that will be a very beery weekend!)

Happy holiday!!
Unfortunately, the bulk of this batch hasn't made it since it's birth in January-but what can we do?
I'm going to be boating all afternoon, then taking the 888 to some friends this evening.
Cheers!

I just got mine in the carboy. Got 70% efficiency, not too bad for my second AG. This is a lot bigger beer than I have done before. How long should I let this sit in primary, secondary, and bottle?

Back