0 minute hop addition?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trekie86

Reaction score
So my next batch calls for a 0 minute hop addition. Do I add the hops at the end of the boil, shut it off, and then proceed to cool it? I wasn't sure if I had to do something special. Since they are for aroma, I strain them out before fermenting? I would assume leaving it in the fermenter would break down those flavors and just turn to bittering.

0 minute hop addition in different than dry hopping right?

Thanks for the responses.

Turn off the burner, and let the wort cool down to about 175degrees or so. You want it to cool a bit to keep the steam down. Once it's ~175, throw them in and stir them in a bit - maybe whirlpool. The oils will quickly go into the wort at this temp. Next you just cool the wort and add it to the fermenter - no need to filter the hops or anything.

Yes, 0 minute is different than dry hopping. Dry hopping is done when the beer is done fermenting, and only adds aroma. You'll get some aroma and flavor both from post-boil additions, just not as much aroma as dry hopping.

It's right at flame out, there's no need to cool the wort to 175 prior to the hop addition, just throw them in right at the end of the boil and then cool the wort as usual.

+1 with Bud. Turn off your heat add those hops. Leave them in as you cool your pot down. As you get closer to the temp to add your yeast, take them out.

Not to hijack the original question on this thread but I am now wondering if there is significant differences between adding the 0 min addition of the hops when the heat is first turned out (with a temp of 212 F) versus adding them at 175 F. Anyone have an opinion?

Thanks for all of the responses.

Msa, as for your question, I think the heat of the wort will change how much of the oil in the hops will be broken down. I don't have enough experience yet to feel you what that will do to the flavor or aroma.

I said 175 because 175 is better than 211degs. :)

The difference is that right after boil, the wort WILL change the character of the hops more than at a lower temp. You'll lose more aromatics and flavor character when it's that hot. 175 is still really hot, but the steam has died down quite a bit, and it's stlll hot enough to extract the oils from the hops quite quickly.

As a long time Hop-Head, I've been experimenting with hop additions since 1995 - and tried all sorts of methods to get the most out of my post-boil additions. ~175 works the best. All you need is a few minutes of contact time for pellet hops (a few more for whole leaf).

Adding them right after flame-out is still good though, but 175 tastes fresher and preserves as much aroma as you are going to get out of a hot wort addition.

The difference is that right after boil, the wort WILL change the character of the hops more than at a lower temp. You'll lose more aromatics and flavor character when it's that hot. 175 is still really hot, but the steam has died down quite a bit, and it's stlll hot enough to extract the oils from the hops quite quickly.

As a long time Hop-Head, I've been experimenting with hop additions since 1995 - and tried all sorts of methods to get the most out of my post-boil additions. ~175 works the best. All you need is a few minutes of contact time for pellet hops (a few more for whole leaf).

Adding them right after flame-out is still good though, but 175 tastes fresher and preserves as much aroma as you are going to get out of a hot wort addition.

Thanks, I appreciate the advice.

+1

Right at flame out will isomerize the hop oils where as waiting until the wort is down to 175ish will preserve the oils and provide a stronger hop flavor and aroma.

The amount of isomerization that will occur in the 3-4 minutes of your wort being above 175 degrees is negligible. If there is a noticeable effect (which I'm not convinced is actually detectable by a human palate), it would likely be negated by the decreased extraction potential due to cooler temperatures.

The amount of isomerization that will occur in the 3-4 minutes of your wort being above 175 degrees is negligible. If there is a noticeable effect (which I'm not convinced is actually detectable by a human palate), it would likely be negated by the decreased extraction potential due to cooler temperatures.

At 175 the oils go right into solution very quickly. Only takes a few minutes. Some people talk about steeping them for 20minutes or more after the boil, but that just isn't necessary at all.

Adding them directly after the heat is turned off isn't much different than adding them for a 1 minute boil. The temp is only a few degrees difference. In fact, there's a bigger difference in character when adding them at 175 compared to knock out, than adding them at knock-out compared to the last minute.

I've experimented with this forever, and adding them in the 170's does make a difference. Aroma is much more present also, besides the "fresher" taste.

At 175 the oils go right into solution very quickly. Only takes a few minutes. Some people talk about steeping them for 20minutes or more after the boil, but that just isn't necessary at all.

Adding them directly after the heat is turned off isn't much different than adding them for a 1 minute boil. The temp is only a few degrees difference. In fact, there's a bigger difference in character when adding them at 175 compared to knock out, than adding them at knock-out compared to the last minute.

I've experimented with this forever, and adding them in the 170's does make a difference. Aroma is much more present also, besides the "fresher" taste.

Agree 100%. I think the flavor and aroma pick-up you get is fairly dramatic.

QUOTE]

A couple of questions
1. How long do you steep - maybe 10 minutes?
2. Do you keep the kettle covered during the steep?

I only have my own anecdotal evidence, but to me it seems that while I get less aroma when hops are added right at the end (or slightly before) the aroma that I do get seems to last longer as the beer ages. So if you are going to have the beer around for a while, then a little heat might be a good thing. If the beer will be gone within a month, then I'd wait to add the hops until it has cooled a little

QUOTE]

A couple of questions
1. How long do you steep - maybe 10 minutes?
2. Do you keep the kettle covered during the steep?

I don't steep very long. I normally add them and stir them in gently- just to get them submerged and circulating a bit. I then start hooking up my cooling system and tubing, getting carboy into place, etc - then I just just start draining.

Nowadays, I'm draining through a counter flow chiller after about 5 minutes, and it takes 10 minutes or so to cool all of the wort down. Some of it has been at that temp for 15minutes total. When I used to use an immersion cooler, I would start cooling within a couple minutes after adding the hops, and cool the whole amount down within 15 minutes. The hop flavor was basically the same. All that mattered was that it's still high of a temperature to get all you need to get very quickly, without it being too hot when you first added it.

I don't keep the kettle covered at this point. No risk of contamination, and there isn't much steam to worry about it carrying away the aroma.

eltorrente - Thanks for the detailed explanation. I'll have to try these ideas in my hop stands.

I for one appreciate the perspective you added by sharing your recommendation as the product of experimetation. I was gettin' ready to pile on and say flame out means flame out. so thanks for the clarification. What do you think the difference would be between a flameout VS 175F addition of pumpkin spices? I have not yet producedf a pumpkin ale I am proud of.

I for one appreciate the perspective you added by sharing your recommendation as the product of experimetation. I was gettin' ready to pile on and say flame out means flame out. so thanks for the clarification. What do you think the difference would be between a flameout VS 175F addition of pumpkin spices? I have not yet producedf a pumpkin ale I am proud of.

Sorry can't answer that. I don't make many pumpkin brews, but I normally added them at the end of my boil. I figure spices are used at high temps like boiling and oven temps all time, so never thought much about it.

The main thing with slightly lower post-boil addition temps for hops is mainly that it keeps it as far removed from boil temps as possible while still giving temps hot enough for the oils to go into solution quickly. Also, a good amount of aroma is gained from these addtions, because of the lessened amount of steam.

I feel like it's as much about the decreased amount of steam as it is the ~30deg difference in temp. Once the wort is in the 170's, it's still steaming a bit, but not nearly like it was post-boil. This helps minimize the aroma loss.

You get more pure aroma from dry hopping (do both for best results :) ), but late additions to hot wort give you a good amount that you can smell, with a slightly more subdued aroma character than dry hops. but still excellent and noticeable.

Latest posts

Back