Sanyo 4912M where to drill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trapaddict

Reaction score
My kegerator fridge will be here Monday. :ban: As you only get one shot at drilling the holes for gas in and brew out correctly, where are the accepted places for drilling? Are there any cooling coils in the top for when I attach the tower? :confused:

There's a freon line about 7" (if memory serves) from the back edge of the top, that runs all the way across. I could measure it, but I'm not at home at the moment.

Are you planning to drill the side so you can run your tank outside the fridge? I'm thinking about doing the same, so I'd be interested to know where I can safely drill on the left side....

I have the Sanyo 4912 and have put my tower on in the dead center of the top. Here's a link to show you how to do it:

Click Here!

Most people run their gas line in through the drain hole in the back and do not have to drill a new hole. From what I understand, there is not a problem with condensation build up. I have NOT tried this.

This being said, the tank and regulators WILL fit inside on the back "shelf" of the fridge and many people have modified the back shelf for stability. Yes it's true you pretty much have to at least lean one of the kegs out to adjust the regs, but it's really not that big of a deal in the greater scheme of things.

Hope this helps!

:mug:

Swami75 -

I'm not planning on doing anything until I know I'm not going to trash the fridge. I kind of did want my tank outside., but I would not be dead set against putting it inside either if it will fit. It is a 10# tank and I need to see how much room I have.

Spyk'd -

I made a few attempts at the link and it does not go anywhere. Server not available.......

I like the drain hole idea though. The fewer holes the better.

Swami75 -

I'm not planning on doing anything until I know I'm not going to trash the fridge. I kind of did want my tank outside., but I would not be dead set against putting it inside either if it will fit. It is a 10# tank and I need to see how much room I have.

Spyk'd -

I made a few attempts at the link and it does not go anywhere. Server not available.......

I like the drain hole idea though. The fewer holes the better.

When you have to drill holes, start with a small drill bit and stop as soon as you penetrate the skin--whether it's sheet metal or plastic. Then probe around inside the hole with a toothpick. If there are no obstructions from cooling lines or wires, you can safely drill all the way. I just pimped my fridge last week and I'm loving it. I tried to post a diagram of it, but it's to large to post on this site. Good luck!

Trapaddict said:
Swami75 -

I don't think a 10# will fit.

Spyk'd: Thanks for the reminder on the drain hole....I'd totally forgotten about that!

I just drilled a brand new Sanyo 4912 fridge 2 weeks ago. If you lift off the plastic lid you'll see the plastic fins that need to be cut off to insert the 1/2 inch plywood diamond. Dead center of that is where you want to drill into the plastic (it's an obvious mark on the plastic). I then screwed the plastic lid back onto the fridge with the plywood attached (plywood attached with a liberal application of sealant), and drilled through this hole, and right through the metal casing of the fridge. I used a 2-inch hole-saw. Absolutely no probs. If I still haven't convinced you to drill then you can always mix some cornstarch and vodka and "paint" it on the top of the fridge (with the plastic top removed), and as the mixture dries it should leave a line where the coolant lines are.....personally I found it easier just to feel where the heat was coming from.....I think the line is approx. 7-inches from the back.

Good luck!!!!

Have you drilled this yet? Check out this thread for pics of my build

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=10307

drcheese is absolutely right about the alcohol and corn starch. You'll probably be safe drilling dead center but I've heard (hb urban legend) that there is some variation in where those freon lines are. That freon line is spot welded to the skin so you'd want to avoid using a small drill bit to explore. Take the extra step with the alcohol and corn starch and give yourself some peice of mind. You'll paint it on to a room temp fridge then plug the fridge in so that the lines will warm up and evaporate the alcohol.

Thanks for all of your input. My Sanyo conversion is now a reality! Finally. All of the photos of earlier builds were a great help especially locating the freon line on top. Poured my first pint of Honey, It's Nut What You Think Brown Ale last night. Force carbed at 30 PSI at 70 degrees for three weeks in the basement and then released all residual pressure and chilled down to 40 and served at 8 PSI. PERFECT PINT! (pints):cross:

Trapaddict said:
...Force carbed at 30 PSI at 70 degrees for three weeks in the basement and then released all residual pressure and chilled down to 40 and served at 8 PSI.

Just FYI - you only need to use high pressure and shake it if you want to carb it in a day or so. If you're going to let it sit for more than 4-5 days, just chill it and set it at serving PSI.

Well, now that I have somewhere to chill it, I will only hit it with lower pressure. If you take a quick look at a chart, 30 PSI @70 degress is not that much. That is the reason I released the residual pressure prior to chilling. It will find its happy state eventually. As far as photos go, I need to get the room straightened up a bit and I will post a few. Major construction in progress in the work shop and it is being severely hindered now due to the proximity of the new Thirst Aid Station.

Latest posts

Back