ale yeast temperatures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loup

Reaction score
Assuming you're not lagering, once alcohol production has ceased, is temperature control really all that necessary?

From what I understand, fusel alcohols and esters are produced at the same part of fermentation that ethanol is being produced, so once you get past that stage, as long as it doesn't get so hot that it kills the yeast or so cold that they go dormant, does the temperature really matter?

Nah. It doesn't really matter too much. You don't want it sitting in 100 degree temps or anything. it is still reasonably fragile and can develop unpleasant flavors, but fusels are really from the fermentation.

i don't worry about it, once they finish fermenting or go into clearing vessel, i no longer control ferment temp. my temps never get above 80°F, tho.

colder temps help with clarification, tho. you want those yeast to go dormant if you want a clear beer, that's why some condition at near-freezing temps.

i don't worry about it, once they finish fermenting or go into clearing vessel, i no longer control ferment temp. my temps never get above 80°F, tho.

colder temps help with clarification, tho. you want those yeast to go dormant if you want a clear beer, that's why some condition at near-freezing temps.

+1

I control my temperatures for the first couple weeks or so, but when I rack they tend to sit at whatever room temperature is at the time, usually ~80.

The first couple of days is the most crucial time for controlling the temperature. Once active fermentation has slowed down to almost a halt, you don't have to be as concerned with the temperature, but it is still ideal to control the temperature while the beer conditions.

Back