Anyone ruin a beer with unpasteurized honey?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffNYC

Reaction score
I'm brewing a saison tomorrow, with 1 lb of honey. I did a search here to get a sense of what people have done (boil, pasteurize, or just put in the secondary), but haven't read one person who spoiled a beer putting it directly in fermenting wort (or at the peak of primary fermentation to the end of primary fermentation). Anyone spoil a beer doing this? Seems like the risk is very low, especially for something quickly fermenting or near fully fermented. Thoughts?

Honey does not need to be pasteurized; it is naturally antimicrobial. You may want to warm it up a bit just to make it pour a bit easier, though.

If you're using grocery store bought honey, it's already been heated to sanitization temps to allow ultrafine filtration.

Honey can potentially harbor some bacterial or wild yeast spores, but you are right that the risk is very very low. Additionally, the Saison style might actually benefit from extra "influences", so the risk is even lower. Getting honey truly sanitary (boiling) will absolutely kill most of the honey character. In some cases that may be what you want, though.

I always use honey that I buy from the farmer's market, because I know that it hasn't been pasteurized. I prefer it that way, for no reason other than that's what Papazian said to do in his book. (At least I think that's where I read it........)

Ive never added honey to beer but ive made a lot of mead, ive added honey to the primary and secondary without any problems. the only concern with beer is that honey has some proteins and other stuff that might affect clarity of the beer, if you want something crystal clear you may need to filter or fine the beer if you added a lot honey.

I used orange blossom honey for bottle conditioning. I did not boil/pasteurize/heat the honey. They are very volatile bottles. Very close to exploding I'm sure.

Latest posts

Back