Ive got 2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whistlepig

Reaction score
Is there any difference between the Better Bottle and a 5 gallon plastic water bottle. Would it be safe to use these as carboys ?

So are Deep Rock Bottles in Colorado. BE CAREFUL though, any number higher than 2 is TOTALLY unacceptable.
If you're not a plastics engineer, you might want to stick to the better bottle.

Thanks for the info. There is a one ( 1 ) on the bottom. BUT there are several other numbers also. One of them is a recycle symbol with a 7 inside it, Another says NSF-57 Listed, The 1 is listed by itself right under the "RETURN FOR REFILL"
I have 2 of these Seems a shame not to be able to use them to brew nectar.

Whistlepig said:
One of them is a recycle symbol with a 7 inside it
This is the number they are referring to. Do NOT use. only 1 or 2 inside the recycle symbol is acceptable. I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, but sometimes the truth hurts.:(

Where are you from? Check at the grocery store the Deep Rock. OTHER COMPANIES ARE NOT THE SAME!
Bummer on the #7 They are actually working on discontinuing putting ANY drinks in those.

Thanks everyone for all the input. Guess they'll make Great change bottles. LOL guess they'll be sitting empty for a while.

Nerro said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resin_identification_code

Look here for an explanation of what these codes stand for.

Looking at this list I sort of wonder why #5 (PP) wouldn't be suitable for this purpose, can anyone tell me?

Mainly probably because of the nearness of the molecules. If it's not PET or at least HDPE it's likely to oxydize or corrode from the alcohol.

BigKahuna said:
Bummer on the #7 They are actually working on discontinuing putting ANY drinks in those.

If I understood it right, they are not discontinuing the #7 bottles for beverages, just a certain plasticizer that is used in SOME plastics that are included in the "other" category, i.e. #7.

Back