How do I plug my thermometer hole

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TorMag

Reaction score
Ok, I knew this was going to happen. So I was brewing my first big RIS this weekend and my bag got caught on my kettle thermometer and ripped as I was trying to pull it out. This was the third time using this new pot. I really like having the thermometer on the pot, but the bag gets caught. Is there something to plug that hole with?

Thanks

So, you're looking to take the thermometer out? What's the fitting? NPT?

Ok, I knew this was going to happen. So I was brewing my first big RIS this weekend and my bag got caught on my kettle thermometer and ripped as I was trying to pull it out. This was the third time using this new pot. I really like having the thermometer on the pot, but the bag gets caught. Is there something to plug that hole with?

Thanks

attachment.php

I took mine out and added a whirlpool arm.

attachment.php

I realized after a few batches that I don't need a dial thermometer on my pot as I use a more accurate thermometer to assess strike and mash temperatures. A whirlppol arm is a very useful addition.

Anthing the same diameter of fitting will work.

A plug is a simple option.

ssplug-250x250.jpg

ETA: I'm slow. @Bargainfittings already pointed you in the right direction. Great company, great products, great service.

attachment.php

I took mine out and added a whirlpool arm.

attachment.php

I realized after a few batches that I don't need a dial thermometer on my pot as I use a more accurate thermometer to assess strike and mash temperatures. A whirlppol arm is a very useful addition.

Anthing the same diameter of fitting will work.

A plug is a simple option.

ssplug-250x250.jpg

ETA: I'm slow. @Bargainfittings already pointed you in the right direction. Great company, great products, great service.

So Gavin, what does a whirlpool arm bring to the table?

So Gavin, what does a whirlpool arm bring to the table?

Two things for me.

Whirlpooling during chilling shortens cooling time. I estimate it shaved 30% off my cooling time. I recirculate the wort through a plate chiller.

For IPA's I like to do whirlpooling hop additions after flameout at between 160 and 170F usually. I like to have the wort moving through the big bolus of hops I add in a voile bag. Gets me more punchy aroma I think.

The other potential benefit that others may cite is that trub gets centered in the pot during the whirlpool. This is of minimal concern for me as I am using a hop spider and hop bags for my hops. (plate chillers can block with free hops).

Two things for me.

Whirlpooling during chilling shortens cooling time. I estimate it shaved 30% off my cooling time. I recirculate the wort through a plate chiller.

For IPA's I like to do whirlpooling hop additions after flameout at between 160 and 170F usually. I like to have the wort moving through the big bolus of hops I add in a voile bag. Gets me more punchy aroma I think.

The other potential benefit that others may cite is that trub gets centered in the pot during the whirlpool. This is of minimal concern for me as I am using a hop spider and hop bags for my hops. (plate chillers can block with free hops).

So when you say you recirculate during chilling, the wort goes out through your chiller and back into the kettle through the whirlpool arm?

Thanks

I did this the first couple times with my new pot, but its second nature now to dip my spoon in to shield the bag from the pointy end of the thermometer as I lift. Can't you just do this and keep the thermometer? Also, the occasional booboo is fixable with needle and thread.

I did this the first couple times with my new pot, but its second nature now to dip my spoon in to shield the bag from the pointy end of the thermometer as I lift. Can't you just do this and keep the thermometer? Also, the occasional booboo is fixable with needle and thread.

Probably, hard to do when you have a heavy bag, but maybe if I got the wench set up that I bought, might make it a lot easier.

Regardless of how heavy or how large your grain bill, IMO best to slowly raise the bag and allow it to drain. The first step is to gently lift and allow the grain mass to reach the top surface of the kettle, this should be easy lifting as most of the grain is still submerged.

A ratchet pulpy is very handy, it allows you to slowly rise the bag as it also drains, keeping the wort level in the bag just above the wort level in the kettle, allowing you to pause and check to be sure the bag is free.

Yanking the bag out in one swift lift is a recipe for many issues like spillage and a very heavy lift.

I did a 32 lb grain bill last weekend, getting that sucker out of the kettle was like child birth :)

Slow and steady is the key.

Ps perhaps try leaving your mash paddle or spoon in the kettle in front of the temp probe while extracting the bag.

Back