Temp contolled Chapman fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kerrbrewer

I just wanna brew!
Reaction score
Over this weekend I did a test of my modified chapman fermenter. I basically set it up like the ss brewbucket. I used a 25 ft 1/4" ss wort chiller a itc 1000 temp controller and a cool brewing bag. I drilled holes in the lid for the chiller and a hole in the #10 stopper for a thermowell. I was able to hold 52° with relatively few ice changes in my 76° South Texas home. I am stoked! Golden Lager being brewed next weekend!

Over this weekend I did a test of my modified chapman fermenter. I basically set it up like the ss brewbucket. I used a 25 ft 1/4" ss wort chiller a itc 1000 temp controller and a cool brewing bag. I drilled holes in the lid for the chiller and a hole in the #10 stopper for a thermowell. I was able to hold 52° with relatively few ice changes in my 76° South Texas home. I am stoked! Golden Lager being brewed next weekend!

Pictures or it didn't happen. :p:mug:

Took these while taking it apart this afternoon.

20160919_175156.jpg

20160919_175321.jpg

Can you post a parts list?? I have a stainless brew bucket and stainless steel coil but am having trouble figuring out how to mount it sealed to the lid? If that makes sense??

Im travelling now so I dont have exact sizes but I used rubber grommets that fit tight on the coil. I measured the grommet while on the coil to know what size hole to drill in the lid. Then I used small shaft lock collars to hold the coil off the bottom of the fermenter.

Update on system:
Using 1 frozen 1 gallon bottle every 24 hours and 1 frozen 1 gallon bottle every 12 hours in a old Coleman 28 qt cooler I have easily been able to hold a 52 deg ferment temp since last friday.
jcs401 parts list:
I cannot find the slip that came in the rubber grommet pack. I fit them on the coil and the measured with calipers and drilled a 5/16 hole in the lid. The hole was a tad small and needed a little filing. I put the ends of the coils through the grommets and put 8mm shaft lock collars on the top side of the lid to suspend the coil off the bottom of the fermenter. I must have a leak because I get no airlock action but I can see krausen on top.

Update. I had no airlock action because one of the rubber grommets was cut and leaking. Planning to use keg lube on the grommets this weekend for the second use. Going to keg whats in it and rack onto the trub of this beer and shoot for a 50 deg ferment temp.

Keg lube worked on the grommets and it was sealed tight. Just racked second lager to keg. Was able to hold 50° for 4 days and slowly ramp up to d rest rest at 66. Overall the project at this point is a success. Planning on adding the ss brewtech valve with racking arm next. I have read some pretty negative reviews about these fermenters, but mine are built well and have not rusted during these 2 batches.

Back