Request: Bud Light Clone Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobOki

Beer Brewing Baby
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We all know the main ingredient in Bud Light so go ahead and get it out of your systems..... done? Great.
So, my gfs father *ONLY* drinks Bud Light. He's a huge fan, has BL gear, lights, cups, shirts etcetc. Huge Bud Light fan. As brewing is one of my big hobbies, he has asked me to brew him a Bud Light clone. I got him a kegger for xmas last year and it's like $150 for a 5 gallon keg around here, I think he is hoping I can brew it well enough that he will just get me to brew. Regardless, he is not looking to move from Bud Light or a creme or anything else, he wants a straight up Bud Light clone... and I welcome the challenge to try to brew something so hard... even if it tastes like butt.

So, anyone have a spot on recipe for this brew? I have searched around and never really got past the people just flaming in the past, I did see a really good Miller Light clone, and even a triple hopped miller, but those are pretty different beers. Anything you guys can throw my way to help get this thing done would be great, worst to worst it is terrible and I dump it and watch it kill the lawn where I poured it :D

Well, I wouldn't exactly say Bud Light and Miller Light are "pretty different", but we all have different tastes.

What I would do if I simply HAD to brew a BL clone is find a good Rice-based Light Lager recipe and substitute in the correct hops and then if the body isn't just right, try some Amylase Enzyme in there to dry it up a bit more. I honestly can't remember the last time I drank a BL and it's not on my to-do list, so I'm not going to brew one up just to help you out. I have a feeling you will be on your own on this one! LOL!

Also, I know you want to brew this yourself. There is something to be said for taking on a challenge. I've even brewed a light lager (but not a LITE light lager) and did have pretty decent success on my last go 'round. But if my FIL had wanted me to brew BL because that's ALL he drinks, I'd buy him a 1/2 barrel of BL and rig his kegerator for sanke. You can't beat the price and there's slim chance that if he's that picky about the light lager he drinks, my version probably won't do it for him.

We all know....

Not a clone but FWIW this is what I would do.

• 2-row +/- some rice targeting an OG at 1.036
  • Single bittering hop at 60 mins targeting ~20 IBU
  • Mash low ~148 single infusion or a step mash 140, 155
  • Mash pH 5.4
  • Water profile very soft. Munich Boiled, only adjusting to match for Na Cl SO4 Ca
  • Ferment at 50F with WLP833 or lager yeast of your choice
  • Keg it when it's at FG after cold-crash and fining in the FV
  • Lager it as cold as you can(I use 33-34F) till its ready

Est time to drinking 4-6 weeks

That's my 2c

Last edited:
Your never going to find an exact BL clone.They don't exist..Youll find "my attempt" and "something like" but never a clone that's tried and tested. I tried looking it up for my 1980's never leaving bud friends and came up with nothing.

Flavor wise I was thinking of some 2 row, some 6 row, Rice flakes, hallertau hops, a german lager wp833 or even safale-05, amylase and irish moss (I want it really crisp and dry) and then of course fining with gelatin... my biggest issue is I have no clue how much of each I need as I have never done a lager much less a light lager, I tend to stick to IPAs and Stouts. Can someone point me in the direction of a calculator to guestimate the OG for the malts?

I had not thought far enough ahead for the water profile, so that's great advice and it should make a big difference too when 99% of the beer is freaking water...

As for the fermenting.... I read the brulosophy (http://brulosophy.com/2016/04/18/fe...ager-yeast-saflager-3470-exbeeriment-results/) experiment with a warmer fermentation, not really relevant to this request, but what is you guys take on this? I was thinking maybe of doing a 60-63f ferment if so.

Thanks again for all the input so far too, I may never understand why he likes BL, but it is not like I will have to drink it past sampling, so hey I am up for the challenge. Also I do want to actually brew it not just cheat, his approval is something I seek quite fondly.

*edit* I am 100% a scrub at recipes, I have never made one of my own so I figure if I will fail, let it be on something I sure as hell do not want to drink ;P

*edit #2* Damnit, I just realized that once I brew this I have to do a side-by-side taste test with a real BL... so in the end I will have to drink two glasses of this....... ugh. Yeah, lets make sure I get this close man, I don't waste beer, even if it's bad beer.

Flavor wise I was thinking of some 2 row, some 6 row, Rice flakes, hallertau hops, a german lager wp833 or even safale-05, amylase and irish moss (I want it really crisp and dry) and then of course fining with gelatin... my biggest issue is I have no clue how much of each I need as I have never done a lager much less a light lager, I tend to stick to IPAs and Stouts. Can someone point me in the direction of a calculator to guestimate the OG for the malts?

I had not thought far enough ahead for the water profile, so that's great advice and it should make a big difference too when 99% of the beer is freaking water...

As for the fermenting.... I read the brulosophy (http://brulosophy.com/2016/04/18/fe...ager-yeast-saflager-3470-exbeeriment-results/) experiment with a warmer fermentation, not really relevant to this request, but what is you guys take on this? I was thinking maybe of doing a 60-63f ferment if so.

Thanks again for all the input so far too, I may never understand why he likes BL, but it is not like I will have to drink it past sampling, so hey I am up for the challenge. Also I do want to actually brew it not just cheat, his approval is something I seek quite fondly.

*edit* I am 100% a scrub at recipes, I have never made one of my own so I figure if I will fail, let it be on something I sure as hell do not want to drink ;P

*edit #2* Damnit, I just realized that once I brew this I have to do a side-by-side taste test with a real BL... so in the end I will have to drink two glasses of this....... ugh. Yeah, lets make sure I get this close man, I don't waste beer, even if it's bad beer.

If your thinking of using s-05 you can pretty much discard any notion of recreating BL. Not going to happen with an ale yeast. Too much flavor.

If making a good light lager is your goal, not simply a clone of BL you will find plenty of light lager recipes in the database; some good, some not so good. I have brewed 5 light lagers/Pilsners. I have outlined recipes for two (A Helles and Pilsner). Neither resemble Bud lite. They have flavor/aroma etc. If you're going for BL disregard these and the majority of the light lager recipes in the database.

Beersmith is a good tool for recipe formulation, coupled with a precisely dialed in home-brewery and accurate measurements.

Beersmith also has a huge database of recipes including light lagers to explore.

best of luck.

Thanks man, greatly appreciate the assistance and the no BS feedback on it.

Looked at your recipes, man you did those thing proud! So much more info than the bulk of recipes I see! Congrats!

Thanks man, greatly appreciate the assistance and the no BS feedback on it.

No worries man.

One other thing to look at would be the BJCP guidelines for an American Light lager.

It's a very useful resource if brewing to style is a goal.

If you are thinking about fermenting around 60F, you can look into using Cali Common Lager yeast. Ive used it in the past on my cream ale that has both corn and rice in it, and the general feedback from everyone is "tastes like BMC". I still thought it was good, and had a quick turnaround.

You will be trying to make the hardest style beer to replicate at the homebrew level IMO..... Recipe has to be perfect, mash perfect, water chemistry perfect, Cleanest yeast, perfect temp control, and a way to filter out all yeast. If you can get those you may only get close...

pick up a copy of Jamil's Brewing Classic Styles, it has recipes for Light, Standard and Premium American Lagers

Keys to brewing a Light American Lager:
It has very little malt character, very little hop character and very little yeast-derived character
so, its distinguishing flavor characteristic is derived from beer's 4th ingredient, water

Take some tonic water, add some yellow #5 to it...BOOM! Bud Lite. :D

In all seriousness, what about the Biermuncher Cream of Three Crops recipe? Maybe substitute a kolsh yeast and ferment at a lower temp to keep it clear and crispy. That seems to be a favorite alternative for the BMCers.

Another reason why is maybe to broaden his horizons. Kona's Castaway IPA is probably my "favorite" beer (that or Bell's Two Hearted), but I couldn't see myself drinking just that exclusively. My cousin's father n law was a Miller Lite only guy for years until he tried one of his home brews. Now he has his own setup and bought a Grainfather recently.

• Mash pH 5.4
  • Water profile very soft. Munich Boiled, only adjusting to match for Na Cl SO4 Ca

That's my 2c

Agree with most of what you said, but 20 IBUs is way too high for Bud Light. It's more likely in the range of 8-12 IBUs. Maybe 15, but not 20. I don't think it really matters what hop variety you use, since there is really no discernible hop flavor. I would probably go with a noble hop or something like Vanguard. Bittering addition only.

I'd probably shoot for a water profile closer to Pilsen than Munich. But yes, very soft water.

The yeast is most likely similar to Wyeast 2007.

Also, we know that Bud Light is 4.2% ABV and 110 calories, so you can use your favorite brewing software to try to determine your OG/FG based on that.

I believe that a serious attempt at InBev clones should consider dilution after fermentation as an option. Oxidation will be a real concern, but those risks could be mitigated in a closed and pressure transferred scenario.

That said.

Jamil calls out 20% flaked rice and 80% 2 or 6 row, hopped to 10IBU (60 minute), and fermented on WLP840 (300b cells) at 50F for at least 4 weeks.

GrogNerd nailed it on the critical nature of water. You are also going to have to be careful that you have very fresh hops so you don't accidentally have some off aroma sneak in. Also, while the long duration lager is needed for the clarity and clean flavor, you will also be fighting the effects of aging.

Good luck, if you can't figure something out, my local liquor store will fill a 5g corny with bud for like $40 :D

I believe that a serious attempt at InBev clones should consider dilution after fermentation as an option. Oxidation will be a real concern, but those risks could be mitigated in a closed and pressure transferred scenario.

That said.

Jamil calls out 20% flaked rice and 80% 2 or 6 row, hopped to 10IBU (60 minute), and fermented on WLP840 (300b cells) at 50F for at least 4 weeks.

GrogNerd nailed it on the critical nature of water. You are also going to have to be careful that you have very fresh hops so you don't accidentally have some off aroma sneak in. Also, while the long duration lager is needed for the clarity and clean flavor, you will also be fighting the effects of aging.

Good luck, if you can't figure something out, my local liquor store will fill a 5g corny with bud for like $40 :D

I have it on fairly good authority that AB dilutes their beers after fermentation, at least in the case of Bud heavy. So I think there may be something there.

Agree with most of what you said, but 20 IBUs is way too high for Bud Light. It's more likely in the range of 8-12 IBUs. Maybe 15, but not 20. I don't think it really matters what hop variety you use, since there is really no discernible hop flavor. I would probably go with a noble hop or something like Vanguard. Bittering addition only.

I'd probably shoot for a water profile closer to Pilsen than Munich. But yes, very soft water.

The yeast is most likely similar to Wyeast 2007.

Also, we know that Bud Light is 4.2% ABV and 110 calories, so you can use your favorite brewing software to try to determine your OG/FG based on that.

Yeah. I agree. I think 20 is a bit high after some thought.

Munich boiled not Munich. Sorry I should have specified that earlier.

Here is what I used for my last lager

attachment.php

i don't agree with the post fermentation dilution. That is more related to fermentor space and maximizing output I reckon. No need to attempt to mimic their process. Beech wood aging etc. Just having the target in sight is the main thing.

Personally I think a German Pilsner will satisfy pretty much everyone from the dyed-in-the-wool, horn of ale sipping beer nerd to the sudz-swilling beer idiot many of us including myself once were.

German Pilsner. What's not to like. OP your Dad will thank you.

attachment.php

Or a Munich Helles. Another great light lager with flavor.

Crush these all day if you want.

attachment.php

Light lagers are fun to brew, drink and allow one to explore the intricacies of lager brewing. Techniques and precision that will benefit you as a brewer regardless of what styles you make in the future.

Last edited:
The main purpose of the "beechwood aging" is to keep more yeast in contact with wort, which leads to a faster fermentation. I want to say that they turn around a batch of Bud heavy in like 13 or 14 days. Astonishingly quick, and something that we probably can't replicate on a homebrew scale.

*edit* I am 100% a scrub at recipes, I have never made one of my own so I figure if I will fail, let it be on something I sure as hell do not want to drink .

I'd recommend you get a copy of beersmith to help you. As others suggested light color, light alcohol , light body , light hops. You'll prolly need to use hefty percentages for corn/ rice to accomplish the profile. I doubt it's going to be easy, especially if he's picky.

Also I do want to actually brew it not just cheat, his approval is something I seek quite fondly.

I mean, do you really want the approval of someone who loves a bad beer THAT much?

But seriously - To me, butt light tastes like there's something wrong with it...is that just me or is there a flaw of some sort that you'll have to replicate? Kind of like the DMS in Rolling Rock thing?

I would seriously consider going with the a cream ale version just to shake things up for him. Take a classic american pilsner recipe and ferment it with an ale yeast. :)

I have attempted cloning Bud Lite many, many times. I really enjoy brewing American Lite Lagers in general.

For the grain, I use 6 row, 2 row will work but I think 6 row does make a slight difference in conversion efficiency and maybe even flavor. I use 30% rice, and I only use long grain rice like what is grain in my home state, (since that is exactly what AB uses). I cook the rice well before mashing 90 minutes with it.

For the hops I blend as many hops as I can to get somewhere in the 10-12 IBU range. I primarily use Willamette and Cascase with some noble hop. I do know that AB uses a lot of Willamette. I put in 1-2 hop pellets 2 mins before flameout.

I have testes several different yeasts and 34/70 is my pick. S-23 would dry it out, but seemed to leave behind a tad bid of green apple no matter what I did, in any other beer it wouldn't be noticeable. I ferment around 50F and bring it to room temp either before or after lagering. I lager for a couple of weeks usually, I carb it up pretty heavy, but the head always lingers around too long, maybe too much protein left in the final beer.

I have tried the dilution techniques without any noticeable improvment, diluting from around 7.0 down to 5.5 or so. I have no tried beechwood since I think that no real flavor is imparted from it, or the process. I may try it one day.

Good luck, it's a VERY tough beer to duplicate, but sure can be a lot of fun. I enjoy drinking my cloes quite a bit, often I brew it at about 4.2% ABV to make it something more like Busch Lite so that it's even more sessionable.

I want to say that they turn around a batch of Bud heavy in like 13 or 14 days. Astonishingly quick, and something that we probably can't replicate on a homebrew scale.

2 weeks is a pretty standard turn around for most commercial craft beers, or homebrew if you're on top of it and it's not dry hopped, etc.

I believe most of the larger breweries turn beer out far faster, 72-96 hrs. I'm not recalling a good source for that, so take it for what you will.

OP, Bud and presumably Bud Light start out as a higher abv beer that is diluted after fermentation.

White Labs has a lager strain you can preorder from the Vault series right now that is what you want. WLP925 High Pressure Lager yeast.

If you can clone BL, you're a fantastic brewer. Despite the homebrewer's tendency to mock these sorts of beers, there isn't anything to hide behind. Good luck.

I would seriously consider going with the a cream ale version just to shake things up for him. Take a classic american pilsner recipe and ferment it with an ale yeast. :)

I very specifically said I was not interested in a cream ale. I know it is BETTER beer, but that is not what he is requesting. Sometimes people are just content with what they like, and have no want to explore.... it's hard for me to as drinking Bud Light is like eating mac and cheese and saying it's a 5 star meal.

• Mash pH 5.4

That's my 2c

You forgot the beechwood. :D

Never mind - I see that's been covered.

I have attempted cloning Bud Lite many, many times. I really enjoy brewing American Lite Lagers in general.

For the grain, I use 6 row, 2 row will work but I think 6 row does make a slight difference in conversion efficiency and maybe even flavor. I use 30% rice, and I only use long grain rice like what is grain in my home state, (since that is exactly what AB uses). I cook the rice well before mashing 90 minutes with it.

For the hops I blend as many hops as I can to get somewhere in the 10-12 IBU range. I primarily use Willamette and Cascase with some noble hop. I do know that AB uses a lot of Willamette. I put in 1-2 hop pellets 2 mins before flameout.

I have testes several different yeasts and 34/70 is my pick. S-23 would dry it out, but seemed to leave behind a tad bid of green apple no matter what I did, in any other beer it wouldn't be noticeable. I ferment around 50F and bring it to room temp either before or after lagering. I lager for a couple of weeks usually, I carb it up pretty heavy, but the head always lingers around too long, maybe too much protein left in the final beer.

I have tried the dilution techniques without any noticeable improvment, diluting from around 7.0 down to 5.5 or so. I have no tried beechwood since I think that no real flavor is imparted from it, or the process. I may try it one day.

Good luck, it's a VERY tough beer to duplicate, but sure can be a lot of fun. I enjoy drinking my cloes quite a bit, often I brew it at about 4.2% ABV to make it something more like Busch Lite so that it's even more sessionable.

You don't think flaked rice would be lighter and give off less flavoring? It's crazy as the more I look into this the less and less likely it seems I will be able to clone it (especially with *MY* skills) so I will just try to get close enough that he does not notice. I am quite sure less flavorful he would not notice, but too much flavor he certainly would.... words I never though I would type about beer.....

So on to more... you use 6-row and that has a higher protein yield than 2 row, which is why I wanted to mix the two to keep the flavor profile of the 2 with the less proteins from 6. I know the 2 row is the maltier flavor and 6 is more grain, so I figured if I did maybe 1.5# of each they should probably cancel themselves out somewhat and still get the less proteins. I was considering like 3.3# or so of flaked rice, but beginning to wonder if I should do a little less rice and mix in carapils?

Using the Willamette has me guessing. From what I understand that has a spiced flavor to it which I can detect in Bud or Bud premium (lol) but I don't remember a spiced flavor in BL. This actually makes me wonder if they roll with Cascade instead as I do get very minor citrus. Hallertau is spiced too, which is what I was originally going to use.... you really have me questioning. I might have to go clear my nose and dip into another BL and really try to separate more flavors.

Damnit guys, sans the dumb posts, this has been really great info and I won't lie I am learning a ton of about Light Lagers I did not think about originally, or did not consider!

From what I understand, the beechwood is more for floccing than flavor

Listened to a BN podcast yesterday & someone said Bud's beechwood is so sterilized it's not even wood anymore

I certainly think you can get there with flaked rice. I quit using it because I know I can go to my local grocery tstore and for practically nothing buy a bag of rice that's for the sake of argument identical to what AB uses. It always seemed like there was some sort of stale rice flavor coming from the flaked rice too, very minor. I have used minute rice with good success too I should add, as an alternative to the flaked.

Honestly the 2 row vs. the 6 row is probably the least important detail. I would say stay away from the Carapils though.

I know that AB uses large quantities of Willamette for a fact, in fact I know they blend something like 10-15 different varieties together for consistency. If your brewing a 5 gallon batch, your going to have trouble blending too many together because 15 pellets probably ways more than the .75 oz or so your going to need haha. Now if your really crazy........I know a guy that brewed a 25 gallon batch of his BL clone, and was able to blend together a good number of varieties, but I don't think he'll be reached for comment today. I'm about 90% sure that AB does some extremely light dry hopping with BL too, I have not tried this yet. The hop flavors are going to be almost undetectable, so the individual varieties you use probably aren't of the greatest importance, but I am a firm believer in blending.

Brewing a great American Lite lager isn't as hard as many on here make it out to be, but brewing one that tastes identical to Bud Lite has proven VERY hard for me. I have read as many articles as I can, listened to interviews, searched for those who have worked for AB, and even toured the brewery to gather as many tid bits as I can. For me it's like that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, I know I'll never get there, but if I could it be oh so nice.

This kind of goes without saying but one of the big keys I didn't mention before was having that real clean fermentation. I believe AB turns this beer around every 25 days or so, but you may want to lager it for a few weeks if you have the patients.

Honestly that sounds too flavorful to be a Bud Light Clone.

I wouldn't discount anything until you try it. I think soft water and complex mashing to get a dry FG is going to be key. Bud lite has a blend of hops.

I would be interested on what gets you the closest.

Here is another recipe to use as a guideline.

https://www.maltosefalcons.com/recipes/dougweiser

Try filtering before packing and using wort to carbonate.

Good luck.

I wouldn't discount anything until you try it. I think soft water and complex mashing to get a dry FG is going to be key. Bud lite has a blend of hops.

I would be interested on what gets you the closest.

Here is another recipe to use as a guideline.

https://www.maltosefalcons.com/recipes/dougweiser

Good luck.

YES! they do use krausening for carbonation in Bud/Light

Now I just moved to keg and I am pretty stupid as to my options with keg. Can I carbonate with wort in keg? I had planned to force carb for 2 days then a week at about 10-12psi (AFTER lagering).. or just 10-12psi and let it slow carb while lagering...... My keger sits at about 33f so I figured my standard running temp was perfect for the lager. Feedback on this?

Now I just moved to keg and I am pretty stupid as to my options with keg. Can I carbonate with wort in keg? I had planned to force carb for 2 days then a week at about 10-12psi (AFTER lagering).. or just 10-12psi and let it slow carb while lagering...... My keger sits at about 33f so I figured my standard running temp was perfect for the lager. Feedback on this?

I don't keg and think maybe krausened once, back in '95 (when I brewed an American Light Lager, recipe of which is lost to the ages), but I don't see why you couldn't do it in a keg

don't think the beer, wort and krausen care what the packaging is.

Brewer's Friend has a calculator, plus there are articles in BYO, AHA website

Krausening is common in a lot of commercial breweries. There is no reason for big breweries not to as they have an effictively constant supply of wort being produced and can control the carbonation level in a bright-tank very precisely with it after umpteen bazillion batches.

The method of carbonation should not impact the final flavor profile of your beer.

To me krausening on the HB scale means extra work and calculations with a lot of initially unknown extra variables to manage that will not give me any more control over the carbonation level.

After you do it a few times like anything it will become routine but that assumes you are using the same wort each time with the same fermentability, same yeast, same health of yeast etc. As a homebrewer, typically we don't churn out the same thing over and over again.

Force carbonation removes all these variables and can be acomplished in hours to days rather than weeks for krausening. Again no need to mach macro process. You're only trying to match the final product a challenge in and of itself. Stack the deck in your favor.

For a commercial brewer of any sort of large scale, force carbonation is not realistic and not cost effective when cheaper equally effective measures exist.

This is not to say krausening cannot be done. It can of course and will require less wort to carb in the keg than if bottling. The same is true of any priming sugar used (less needed in a keg). I would not bother. I force carb all my beer. Simpler. Cost of CO2 is not signficant on these scales.

Last edited:
Source? I'm fairly sure that isn't correct. The beer is fermented under pressure, so need to krausen.

http://www.budweisertours.com/commitment-to-quality/brewing-process.html
For more than a century we have maintained old-world brewing techniques like “krausening” to heighten natural carbonation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budweiser#The_beer
This is also combined with a krausening procedure that re-introduces wort into the chip tank, therefore reactivating the fermentation process

Back