The Great HBT Taco Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fedora

Glorified Janitor
Reaction score
Welcome, fellow taco lovers!

This is the place to discuss all things taco. Express your general adoration of tacos. Share your favorite recipes. Are you eating tacos right now? Post a picture!

Friendly debate is welcomed. Corn vs flour. Soft vs crunchy. Beef vs chicken. Pork maybe? Vegetarian. Even *shudder* Taco Bell.

Explore different taco styles from around the world. Mexican, Greek, Italian, 'Murican. Almost all cultures have their own take on the taco. After all, anything can be a taco if you try hard enough.

Note that I put this in DRMM. Given the usual rabble of hooligans this thread is likely to attract, it will be near impossible to keep 100% on topic. And that's OK!
Tacos by their very nature inspire a sense of fun and frivolity.

What the hell? This thread didn't already exist? How is that possible?

Hard corn with beef. Or soft flour with chicken. Or either with fish. Just yes.

I usually prefer soft flour but I can appreciate a crunchy corn, as well. Soft corn are delicious but always fall apart.

Here's my favorite:

Sautee shrimp, remove from pan and roughly chop them. Deglaze the pan with beer and add cumin, garlic, pepper, etc. taco spices to the liquid and toss the chopped shrimp in the spice mixture.

Into tortillas with avocado, raw diced onion, sweet corn (best if it's freshly sliced off a cob in the summer) and roughly chopped tomatoes.

Here's another - based off of "Hector's Huevos" at a favorite local Mexican place.

Sautee 1/2 lb or so of bulk chorizo and drain and remove from heat. Slice 4 bell or poblano peppers and two onions and toss with the fat from the chorizo and a tsp or so of Kosher salt, and either sautee them in a pan or put them under the broiler. When the peppers and onions are almost ready, heat the chorizo back up add six scrambled eggs and mix it up with the chorizo. When the eggs are done, throw it all into tortillas. Top with cheese if you like.

This is my kind of taco.

th4LKMW2FH.jpg

Bah. Street tacos, two small soft corn tortillas with a small amount of filling, is the only way to go. Add a bit of lime juice to brighten it up.

Okay, I lie. There is something to be said for the cheap **** ground beef with packet seasoning tacos too.

Bah. Street tacos, two small soft corn tortillas with a small amount of filling, is the only way to go. Add a bit of lime juice to brighten it up.

Okay, I lie. There is something to be said for the cheap **** ground beef with packet seasoning tacos too.

See, that's what great about tacos. Polarizing and unifying at the same time.

I'm thawing out some pork steaks now for dinner. They'll be sliced into strips, seasoned, and grilled with white onion and bell pepper. Served on fajita style soft flour tortillas. Topped with lettuce and fresh mozzarella. Guess I need to go make the mozz.

Skirt steak, Taco Potion #19, avacado slices, lime juice over grilled toasted corn tortillas. Taco perfection. Shrimp substitutes well if you want a seafoody taco.

I'm thawing out some pork steaks now for dinner. They'll be sliced into strips, seasoned, and grilled with white onion and bell pepper. Served on fajita style soft flour tortillas. Topped with lettuce and fresh mozzarella. Guess I need to go make the mozz.

Pork steak? Da fuq?

Better toaster grill those...

What the hell? This thread didn't already exist? How is that possible?

That was my first question. Good work, hat.

Corn tortillas. Smeared with refried beans. Sprinkled with messican rice. Lay down strips of marinated steak. Cover with grilled strips of bell pepper, onion, and jalapeno. Garnish with avocado, cilantro, salsa, sour cream.

I want this to be my final meal before I die. I don't know when that will be, so I just play it safe and eat it as frequently as possible.

Pork steak? Da fuq?

Better toaster grill those...
Pork steaks are a favorite cut of mine. Cheap, versatile, good fat content. I stand up for pork steak. The underdog of steaks. No toaster needed

That was my first question. Good work, hat.

Corn tortillas. Smeared with refried beans. Sprinkled with messican rice. Lay down strips of marinated steak. Cover with grilled strips of bell pepper, onion, and jalapeno. Garnish with avocado, cilantro, salsa, sour cream.

I want this to be my final meal before I die. I don't know when that will be, so I just play it safe and eat it as frequently as possible.

I was wondering when this guy would show up. He would make love to tacos if they had fur.

Argue all you want about if burritos, fajitas, gyros, etc. are tacos or not (will be a short argument, I'm sure), but steak is beef, not pork.

+1 street tacos are the best tacos. Two tiny soft corn tortillas are required. Add seasoned meat of your choice, onion, cilantro and lime.

Cheap ground beef tacos are better than no tacos.

Damnit. Now I want tacos.

Back