White Labs Yeast Vault

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrew212

Reaction score
Apparently White Labs is not allowing homebrewers to order yeast if enough people sign up to receive it. Check it out here: https://www.whitelabs.com/yeast-vault

I've already ordered WLP835 German Lager X and WLP640 Brett Anomalus I, join in with these strains if you wanna make some malty German lagers and some brett beers!

Some really good sounding strains they're offering. I think I'll try the same German strand as you.

This is a pretty cool program! I see several I'm willing to try.

I couldn't find anything about shipping charges. Does anyone know?

Yeah, it's $3/vial. Kinda steep to be paying $9+ for a vial and I wish they could throw in some 001 or something to make it more worth it but hey, it's not everyday you get to try these strains right?

$9 isn't unreasonable at all. My LHBS charges $9 for regular strains after taxes. Just make a larger starter and harvest off of it and use it many more times.

Yeah, it's $3/vial. Kinda steep to be paying $9+ for a vial and I wish they could throw in some 001 or something to make it more worth it but hey, it's not everyday you get to try these strains right?

How do you know it's $3? I couldn't find it anywhere on the site. That would not be too bad actually.

But I am worried about the shipping date happen to fall in dead of Winter or Summer, where even 6 ice packs aren't gonna make a difference.
I typically like to mail order yeast during the temperate seasons knowing there's no heatwave or deep frost on the route. Relying on the heat buffering capacity of the rest of the cargo is definitely a crap shoot.

$9 for regular off the shelf yeast? I get WY or WLP for $6.45 here from my LHBS, so that's at least at nominal price. But getting special orders can be spotty, their WLP stock seems always low.

That's a good idea from them

I see they have Debaryomyces hansenii , which is in Harveys beers although you can only really taste it in the double imperial stout as it's aged for a year - takes 9 months to get going in that beer at least

title pretty much sums it up. they're opening up their unreleased library to homebrewers, once 250 orders are placed per strain, its produced and shipped to you.

they've got ales, lagers, wilds, ciders, and sour bugs. solid discounts as well for the first batch of each.

you can only buy one strain per order, because each strain only gets produced and shipped when the orders hit 250. so if you want to order more than one strain you need to put in a separate order for each strain. (you can buy multiple vials/packets of a strain in one order)

http://us8.campaign-archive1.com/?u=0598e021c7612a70afc461365&id=135fd9d419&e=fd3c82b3b4

enjoy.

my order-

1 high pressure lager
1 fast lager

debating whether to order the buchner ale, lacto buchneri, lacto hilgardii or thai rice wine yeast

Lots of tempting yeasts, I'm curious about the Australian strain, but debating about whether its worthwhile for a purchase.

How do you know it's $3? I couldn't find it anywhere on the site. That would not be too bad actually.

But I am worried about the shipping date happen to fall in dead of Winter or Summer, where even 6 ice packs aren't gonna make a difference.
I typically like to mail order yeast during the temperate seasons knowing there's no heatwave or deep frost on the route. Relying on the heat buffering capacity of the rest of the cargo is definitely a crap shoot.

$9 for regular off the shelf yeast? I get WY or WLP for $6.45 here from my LHBS, so that's at least at nominal price. But getting special orders can be spotty, their WLP stock seems always low.

I listened to the Brewing network podcast today. They had the White bros on there discussing the program. Their analytical lab manager was on there as well. She said it would be $3 shipping via Ups.

I listened to the Brewing network podcast today. They had the White bros on there discussing the program. Their analytical lab manager was on there as well. She said it would be $3 shipping via Ups.

I did find it on the FAQ sheet too. During my initial enthusiasm I must have read past it the first time, it's not that easy to find though.

$3 for UPS ground probably. That still doesn't jive well with me during extreme temperature seasons. And chances are it gets handed over to the USPS for local delivery, so it may end up in your mail box...

If an icepack is included, it has usually melted long before the package leaves the shipping department.

Thinking of ordering the Cal Common yeast. I like that they put a little counter next to each. I guess if so inclined you could wait and only order once it's reasonably close to be shipped. Then you would have a better idea of outside temps and whatnot. I really wouldn't want to mail order yeast if it was shipped June-October when it's 95-110* outside. Granted I'm at least in California, so it hopefully wouldn't be in the truck too long.

This is a pretty sweet idea; it seems like a great way to engage the customer and bring something unusual to the party (so to speak) without costing the customer or the company an arm and a leg.

I'm a pretty basic ales and ciders brewer, but I put in an order for some of the Hansen Ale yeast, both to give it a try and just to support what seems to be a cool project.

Thanks for the heads-up!

wlp815 and 835 are already seasonals.... are they being discontinued from their regular lineup?

I just placed orders today for:
(2) WLP611 New Nordic Yeast Blend
(2) WLP835 German Lager X

The Nordic yeast is 19 orders away from shipping. I'm looking forward to getting it in and brewing a wheat beer based on how it's described at the website.

"This blend has a characteristic aroma profile, especially at higher temperatures, that resemble classic styles such as Belgian saison or German hefeweizen."

"This blend ferments as low as 50°F (10°C) and up to 86°F (30°C) and is because of this wide range spanning all the way from neutral and clean aromas to spicy and fruity"

"This blend ferments as low as 50°F (10°C) and up to 86°F (30°C) and is because of this wide range spanning all the way from neutral and clean aromas to spicy and fruity"

Didn't see that one! That's quite a range. It'd be interesting to split a batch and run half at the high end and half at the low to compare the results.

I ordered 2 of the WLP075 Hansen blend. Doesn't appear the numbers have moved down that much. I guess not many people are aware of all the options. I think the whole idea is pretty cool and am looking forward to it but hope more people order soon to bring this into actual production.

Very Nice, placed an order for 2 Nordic strain (only 3 more till ship!)
and a second order for 2 High Pressure Lager Strain (225 orders left, I think it'll be a while before I get this one)

Didn't see that one! That's quite a range. It'd be interesting to split a batch and run half at the high end and half at the low to compare the results.
My thought exactly.
I've got 2 nordic's headed my way.

I'm going to make identical 5 gallon batches of a weissbier, ferment one at 60, and one at 75.

Edit:... or maybe I will use one of the packs in a baltic porter with juniper and lingonberry...

Just bought my Bday present. Ordered the New Nordic Yeast, am going to ferment at 78deg F for a German hefeweizen. :rockin:

Back