Scrivs kegerator build thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scriv

Reaction score
Finally convinced the wife to issue a po for a garage kegerator project. I spent some time scouring craigslist and visiting random strangers until settling on this Whirlpool 18 cubic foot freezer top refrigerator.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1441565306.571698.jpg

I removed the interior shelving and built a single shelf to support the corny kegs and 20# co2 cylinder.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1441565381.130730.jpg

I was able to acquire the co2 cylinder from Craigslist for $60. I swapped that cylinder at my local welding place for $20. Slowly the other parts started arriving, Taprite primary co2 regulator, 4 Perlick 630SS taps, 5" SS shanks, Bev Seal Ultra beer line, and John Guest fittings for the beer and gas lines.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1441565602.189933.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1441565631.827368.jpg

Next I taped off the fridge door and laid out my measurements, I didn't want to trim the inner door, so I needed to avoid the butter tray divider.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1441565710.438843.jpg

Then I used a 1/8" drill bit to make pilot holes, followed by a 7/8" hole saw.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1441565764.961648.jpg

The taps were installed, I plan to go back and seal the front and rear of the shanks with spray foam or silicone soon.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1441565833.454404.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1441565843.338775.jpg

I may also fabricate a plate for the shanks to go through inside the fridge, they just aren't as tight as I'd like them.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1441565910.129339.jpg

That's where I'm at so far, next up plumbing!

Today I leak checked and sanitized the beer lines and taps, I ran 3 gallons of Sani-Clean through each tap from my one keg. Next I need to figure out where and how to mount the 4 way secondary regulator.

I mounted the 4 way secondary regulator to the shelf rail on the back of the fridge. It sits further off the wall than I'd like but everything still fits.

image.jpg

looks great, I wasn't able to keep the door shelves in mine and had to put drilled blocks behind the door skin in order to be able to tighten the shanks.
Enjoy

What are the Grey quick connects on the gas lines? Very nice job so far. I am
doing the same with my fridge so thanks for the updates.

What are the Grey quick connects on the gas lines? Very nice job so far. I am
doing the same with my fridge so thanks for the updates.

Those are John Guest fittings, I'm not a fan of barbs & hose clamps, plus they let me change things out quickly if needed.

Back