Dark Wheat vs Midnight Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bolus14

Reaction score
I bought all the ingredients to make Stone's Vertical Epic 06.06.06 today, planning to brew tomorrow or Sunday. When getting the grains I had Dark Wheat written down, but LHBS didn't have that, at least not that I could find.

I googled quickly from my phone and couldn't find any info so I went with midnight wheat. I looked more and found that Weyermann's does make something called Dark Wheat:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/weyermann-dark-wheat-malt

There's quite a difference in color and likely with the flavor that the midnight wheat will contribute vs. the Dark Wheat. All the grains are already mixed together should I just let it ride or should I add something else to the grain bill?

but that is just a slightly darker wheat (possibly german version of red wheat) it wont get anywhere near midnight wheat if you try to use them interchangealy

How much dark wheat did it call for?

hmm yeah 7% midnight wheat along with 5% carafa III, youre going to have a belgian stout on your hands. Shouldnt be undrinkable, those are normal levels for a stout. should be interesting

Thanks. I was hoping for something like a cross between a dubbel and a stout so should work out.

Beer is fermenting now. Wort had an almost milk chocolate and brown sugar/molasses taste to it. Hoping to get some good dark fruit esters out of the yeast. I went with wlp545 because of lhbs stock.
Some reviews make it sound like this strain can be quite fruity, but there's not a ton of info on it so its a wait and see game now.

To follow up in case somebody else stumbles on this, I really like how this finished. I'm not the best at describing smells and flavors and picking out all the nuances, but here's my attempt.

There's a little bit of milk chocolate, a smooth roast quality kind of like cold brewed coffee without the coffee taste, if that makes sense. Then some sweetness comes in brown sugar and fig like, maybe, kind of hard to really identify for me. The finish is refreshing like many Belgians, reminds me of a RIS in many ways, but doesn't have the heaviness, more drinkable. The 8.25% alcohol is completely hidden.

Latest posts

Back