Dumb questions about a refrigerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a full size Haier fridge for my kegerator. It's frost-free, and I store hops in the freezer.

Recently, water is appearing in the bottom of the fridge, where the crisper drawers would be if I hadn't removed them. It appears that this fridge does not have any sort of drip tray (do fridges even have those anymore?), and this started happening fairly recently (maybe 1-2 months ago).

It started after I moved the fridge, which may or may not be related but I did notice that it's really close to the rear wall.

Is my fridge dying? Or is there some sort of drain that I just don't see?

I'm sorry to be such an idiot about this- I have no clues about appliances at all and there doesn't seem to be a drain or a drip tray- just water in the bottom of the fridge.

Check the seals on the door. May be condesnsation from a poorly sealed door.

Drip trays are usually round back where the compressor is, and water from the thaw cycle is usually channeled behind the back covers.

There may be a drip tray (nonremovable) in the back side of the fridge, near the compressor. The drain may be clogged.

Depending on the model, the condenser coils could be in the walls of the refrigerator, or they may be in a rolled up cylinder near the compressor with a fan for cooling air circulation. If it's the last one, check to see if it's coated in dust/hair. If so, a good cleaning isn't a bad idea. I clean mine out at least once a year. If it's a clogged drain, you could try carefully snaking it out with a bit of wire, or safer still, some weed whacker string.

The back is covered by a plate. Should I remove those screws and vacuum in there? Is that where I'd find the drain as well?

Edit- the seals all look good, but I did duct tape up around where the c02 line goes in (at the bottom of the side of the door) just in case that wasn't sealed well with the gasket.

Like others said, check the seals. My fridge has the drip tray under the fridge, accessible by removing the plastic grill from the front.

Also, could be that the drain hole is iced over. The drain hole is on the freezer side. In the freezer side, behind the bins, and typically behind a removable plate, there is evaporator coil and a fan. The fan blows air over the cold coil (and throughout the freezer/fridge). Moisture in the fridge condenses on these coils, then drips through a drain hole that is below it. This is how moisture (and then heat) is removed.

That coil, though, can (and does!) ice up. And, over time, the hole can also ice up. Most refrigerators are "auto-defrost", which means there's a wire that runs around these evaporator coils that periodically (daily) heats up and defrosts the coil. However, the heater doesn't usually go near that hole. I've seen people extend the heater to the hole simply by wrapping a thick-gauge solid-core copper wire around the heater and down to the hole.

Like others said, check the seals. My fridge has the drip tray under the fridge, accessible by removing the plastic grill from the front.

Also, could be that the drain hole is iced over. The drain hole is on the freezer side. In the freezer side, behind the bins, and typically behind a removable plate, there is evaporator coil and a fan. The fan blows air over the cold coil (and throughout the freezer/fridge). Moisture in the fridge condenses on these coils, then drips through a drain hole that is below it. This is how moisture (and then heat) is removed.

That coil, though, can (and does!) ice up. And, over time, the hole can also ice up. Most refrigerators are "auto-defrost", which means there's a wire that runs around these evaporator coils that periodically (daily) heats up and defrosts the coil. However, the heater doesn't usually go near that hole. I've seen people extend the heater to the hole simply by wrapping a thick-gauge solid-core copper wire around the heater and down to the hole.

There isn't anything that I can see under the fridge, like a drip tray.

I'm looking for anything that looks like you describe- the freezer is on the top and completely frost free, and the water is pooling on the bottom of the fridge where the 'crisper drawers' would be if they were in there.

I'm looking for the coil you describe, and the hole. I do believe this is an auto defrost fridge/freezer since there is not a whit of ice or moisture in the freezer.

My friends refrigerator leaked like hell.

I pulled it out and the backside was covered in a sheet of hair/dust/lint. Also on the bottom, front of the fridge there was a panel that could be pulled off and was covered in lint. They had never cleaned it, and it was an older refrigerator. This was two years ago and although they have not cleaned it since the day I did, it hasn't leaked again yet. That would be the first thing I check.

On a semi-related note to maybe brighten your misfortune: The same friends melted all their shelves on the inside while trying to chill their hot wort.

There isn't anything that I can see under the fridge, like a drip tray.

I'm looking for anything that looks like you describe- the freezer is on the top and completely frost free, and the water is pooling on the bottom of the fridge where the 'crisper drawers' would be if they were in there.

I'm looking for the coil you describe, and the hole. I do believe this is an auto defrost fridge/freezer since there is not a whit of ice or moisture in the freezer.

Most everything he has described, if accessible, is behind a cover on the back side of the freezer section interior.

In the freezer, the hops were packed tightly, even around the fan in the back. Can rearranging and getting that away from the fan help?

Should I take out the kegs and look for a drain hole in the fridge? Or should I remove the rear plate and look back there?

(so confused!)

In the freezer, the hops were packed tightly, even around the fan in the back. Can rearranging and getting that away from the fan help?

Should I take out the kegs and look for a drain hole in the fridge? Or should I remove the rear plate and look back there?

(so confused!)

If they could've been restricting fans or any vents at all, moving things around to allow better flow would be a good start.

Most everything he has described, if accessible, is behind a cover on the back side of the freezer section interior.

The 'panel' that I could remove is at the bottom, not up behind the freezer, unless that whole thing comes off.
Edit- nope. The only thing that can be removed is the bottom. I can do that, though. The largest portion looks factory glued all around the top and sides.

My friends refrigerator leaked like hell.

I pulled it out and the backside was covered in a sheet of hair/dust/lint. Also on the bottom, front of the fridge there was a panel that could be pulled off and was covered in lint. They had never cleaned it, and it was an older refrigerator. This was two years ago and although they have not cleaned it since the day I did, it hasn't leaked again yet. That would be the first thing I check.

On a semi-related note to maybe brighten your misfortune: The same friends melted all their shelves on the inside while trying to chill their hot wort.

The front is clean- I vacuum that fairly often due to pets and it's easy since I have hardwood. The back wasn't too bad, but I've never taken off the panel and vacuumed IN there. I'll do it, if I should. I just have no idea!

I have a full size Haier fridge for my kegerator. It's frost-free, and I store hops in the freezer.

Recently, water is appearing in the bottom of the fridge, where the crisper drawers would be if I hadn't removed them. It appears that this fridge does not have any sort of drip tray (do fridges even have those anymore?), and this started happening fairly recently (maybe 1-2 months ago).

It started after I moved the fridge, which may or may not be related but I did notice that it's really close to the rear wall.

Is my fridge dying? Or is there some sort of drain that I just don't see?

I'm sorry to be such an idiot about this- I have no clues about appliances at all and there doesn't seem to be a drain or a drip tray- just water in the bottom of the fridge.

You said you moved it around 2 months ago. If you moved it to a higher humidity/warmer area at about the time summer starts and you are opening the door more that could create excessive moisture even if everything is okay. At least in NC that could be a likely scenario.

The 'panel' that I could remove is at the bottom, not up behind the freezer, unless that whole thing comes off.
Edit- nope. The only thing that can be removed is the bottom. I can do that, though. The largest portion looks factory glued all around the top and sides.

Too be clear, I am talking inside the freezer, behind any shelves etc...

Is usually thin sheet metal with vent slots and held in place by too many screws.

What model fridge?

Woops. Mine's a side-by-side.

Also, mine does not have any coils on the back since my fridges (I have 2) both are meant to go right up flush to a wall. The coils are on the bottom.

Yeah. Mine too. But I googled Haier top freezer fridge. Everything I see indicates conventional build.

This is the back of the freezer, inside. I don't see a cover- but the fan is covered by the plastic in the middle. Should I mess around with that?
P8180265.jpg

You said you moved it around 2 months ago. If you moved it to a higher humidity/warmer area at about the time summer starts and you are opening the door more that could create excessive moisture even if everything is okay. At least in NC that could be a likely scenario.

Ha- no I moved it like a foot to vacuum behind it, and moved it back.

It has been warm and humid here, and it's summer- but this never happened before and it's worrisome since the water actually built up without me knowing it, and went through the floorboards into the basement- that's how it got noticed!

This is the back of the freezer, inside. I don't see a cover- but the fan is covered by the plastic in the middle. Should I mess around with that?
View attachment 297312

Behind that, there will be a coil (evaporator), a fan, and a plastic collection tray (funnel) for which to channel moisture out from the defrost cycle. It "could" be frozen over.

Messing around behind that is a choice. Albeit a not enjoyable one.

Personally, I'd schmear a thin coat of vaseline on the door seals and check for pooling again later.

Ha- no I moved it like a foot to vacuum behind it, and moved it back.

It has been warm and humid here, and it's summer- but this never happened before and it's worrisome since the water actually built up without me knowing it, and went through the floorboards into the basement- that's how it got noticed!

Have you put a temp controller on the plug to the frig?

edit: Did this happen once when you moved it or has been constantly leaking to the basement?

This is the back of the freezer, inside.

Yep, you'll have to remove the rack and that panel, however that happens.

Here are pics of mine. In the second picture, you can see the evaporator coil. Above it is the white evaporator fan (with wires going to it). At the bottom, in the middle of that metal pan, right under the coils, is the drain hole. Your's should have these same elements, but obviously in different orientation since it's a top freezer.

(BTW, In my case, the connector on the right was loose, the fan was intermittent, the coils were icing up, and the entire fridge wasn't getting very cold.

2012-06-07-171249-66000.jpg

2012-06-07-171725-66001.jpg

Behind that, there will be a coil (evaporator), a fan, and a plastic collection tray (funnel) for which to channel moisture out from the defrost cycle. It "could" be frozen over.

Messing around behind that is a choice. Albeit a not enjoyable one.

Personally, I'd schmear a thin coat of vaseline on the door seals and check for pooling again later.

The seals really seem fine- but I could do that. I really think something is plugged/blocked or something because this never happened before.

Have you put a temp controller on the plug to the frig?

edit: Did this happen once when you moved it or has been constantly leaking to the basement?

No, no temperature controller- just the fridge.

It happened once- not when I moved it but more recently. But now there is always water in the bottom, and I wipe it out with a towel.

Yep, you'll have to remove the rack and that panel, however that happens.

Here are pics of mine. In the second picture, you can see the evaporator coil. Above it is the white evaporator fan (with wires going to it). At the bottom, in the middle of that metal pan, right under the coils, is the drain hole. Your's should have these same elements, but obviously in different orientation since it's a top freezer.

(BTW, In my case, the connector on the right was loose, the fan was intermittent, the coils were icing up, and the entire fridge wasn't getting very cold.

2012-06-07-171249-66000.jpg

2012-06-07-171725-66001.jpg

Hey, that looks familiar! I had to replace the evaporator fan on mine this past spring.

The seals really seem fine- but I could do that. I really think something is plugged/blocked or something because this never happened before.

It happened once- not when I moved it but more recently. But now there is always water in the bottom, and I wipe it out with a towel.

There should be air movement between the freezer and refrigerator sections. I believe there won't be any refrigerated lines on the refrigerator side. The temperature on that side is set by regulating an opening between the two sides. At least that's how mine works.

I mention this because if the air flow isn't good, then you'll have moisture accumulating. So, should check the fan that I mentioned above. But also, here should be an opening that cold air blows through into the refrigerator side (from the freezer). Any time you hear the compressor working, 1) the evaporator fan should be running, and 2) there should be cold air entering the refrigerator from the freezer, through some vent holes somewhere.

BTW, is the fridge maintaining temps? Typically, the things I've mentioned should result in the fridge side being 10 or more degrees warmer than normal.

Back of my fridge:

(sorry for sideways pic)
View attachment 297315

Behind that lower cardboard bit will be the drip tray. Higher humidity could have filled it through cycles.

Inside, behind the freezers interior panel will be a coil and funnel similar to paased, that funnel could be plugged or frosted over and the defrost element is not thawing enough to break the cycle. Humidity could be the culprit here too.

If you're not getting any icing in the freezer...

Then I'd also have to say it's the seal on the fridge door. You're getting humidity inside from somewhere. When you recently moved the unit, maybe you bent a bracket for the fridge door, or loosened the seal.

If your freezer is still, well, freezing... Then I'd rule out dirty coils on the back/underneath. But you should try to clean them anyways if easily possible.

:mug:

I just saw your earlier picture...Like someone said before it sounds like the drain is iced up. If you don't want to remove panels, then you need to let it stand unplugged with the doors open and let it defrost, and then see if that fixes it. The real question is why did it clog up to begin with? There has to be a pan in the bottom to collect the water. when you moved it something clogged the drain tube maybe. The rear panel is easy to remove and take a peek.

The fridge is maintaining 39 degrees, with no issues. Not freezing up, not warming up. It seems fine.

I took the rear panel off, and the wheels are sort of "set in" on a little tiny dowel-like thing. One of the wheels is "smooshed" out of the hole, so it means the fridge must not be level for one thing. I don't know if I can fix that, but I could definitely shim it up and see. It's fairly dusty in there, so I can vacuum as well. I think there is a drip thing in there somewhere.

The fridge is maintaining 39 degrees, with no issues. Not freezing up, not warming up. It seems fine.

I took the rear panel off, and the wheels are sort of "set in" on a little tiny dowel-like thing. One of the wheels is "smooshed" out of the hole, so it means the fridge must not be level for one thing. I don't know if I can fix that, but I could definitely shim it up and see. It's fairly dusty in there, so I can vacuum as well. I think there is a drip thing in there somewhere.

Being out of level could be the catalyst to all of your drainage issue.

Clean it up, shim it, give it a day or two and check under the crisper again.

I was just about to do that when I realized the connector wasn't latched. I gave those wires a little tug and the connector fell right off!

Too easy...my fan bearings were shot and the fan worked intermittently. Took forever to troubleshoot and to boot had a red herring when I first started to troubleshoot the issue: a dead mouse with his head keeping the compressor cooling fan from turning.

I wish mine had gone that easy. I tore everything apart and checked voltage/resistance across everything.

My issue turned out to be a clogged dryer filter and was not worth the cost to repair.

I don't see anything that vaguely resembles anything "drain line" like. The fan is working, the compressor is working, and the coils are all over the bottom (where when I was a kid the 'drip pan' would have been).

I didn't take the kegs out yet, but I will do that next since I want to try to shim/level that anyway.

Inside the fridge are two holes at the top (under the freezer). Could that be where the water is actually coming from?

I don't see anything that vaguely resembles anything "drain line" like. The fan is working, the compressor is working, and the coils are all over the bottom (where when I was a kid the 'drip pan' would have been).

I didn't take the kegs out yet, but I will do that next since I want to try to shim/level that anyway.

Inside the fridge are two holes at the top (under the freezer). Could that be where the water is actually coming from?

Sure. That's probably the vent holes where only cold air is supposed to go.

There just HAS to be a drain hole somewhere. The way refrigerators remove heat is to remove the moisture through condensation on the coils / dripping.

Aha- there is some ice up in one of those "holes"!

I took a photo- as you can see (I think), the insulation is missing on the right hole, but intact in the left hole. Looking up into the hole, I see ice.

So know the question is- what to do? I can let it thaw of course, and shim/fix the left rear wheel (I hope- it's heavy!) but do I find some pipe insulation and try to insulate the one hole? And, I don't recall EVER seeing that insulation fall out- so maybe it was missing when I got it used? In other words, definitely not a new problem. but perhaps the warm/humid weather created this?

How to fix it, though? Besides letting it defrost, and plugging it back in I mean.

by the way, thanks so much for all of your help!

P8180004.jpg

P8180005.jpg

P8180002.jpg

The picture of the right 'hole' didn't come out, but I climbed in the fridge and peered up there- I definitely see ice up above the hole. And the keg just under that area was wet on top, so I found my leak!

Aha- there is some ice up in one of those "holes"!

I took a photo- as you can see (I think), the insulation is missing on the right hole, but intact in the left hole. Looking up into the hole, I see ice.

So know the question is- what to do? I can let it thaw of course, and shim/fix the left rear wheel (I hope- it's heavy!) but do I find some pipe insulation and try to insulate the one hole? And, I don't recall EVER seeing that insulation fall out- so maybe it was missing when I got it used? In other words, definitely not a new problem. but perhaps the warm/humid weather created this?

How to fix it, though? Besides letting it defrost, and plugging it back in I mean.

by the way, thanks so much for all of your help!

A replacement insulation should only cost a few dollars at a appliance parts store. Could be the source of the water in the fridge section.

Latest posts

Back