Dumb questions about a refrigerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is the pic I wanna see.

Yooper, Is the fan above that hole? There should be a hole for air to go into the fridge, and a return hole. One of them might have a shutter to regulate the air flow (regulated by the temperature dial there).

The fact that there is ice building up means you've got a defrost heater that isn't working the way it should, and/or you've got a drain hole that's clogged. I think you've found a symptom, not the source of the problem.

We use non-frost free freezers (say that three times fast!) at work, and those channels have to be defrosted on a regular cycle. We need our freezers to not undergo freeze/thaw cycles to protect biological samples, but the ice just accumulates. Sounds like ice is accumulating faster than your defrost cycle can accommodate, thus the visible ice and the melt.

Yooper, Is the fan above that hole? There should be a hole for air to go into the fridge, and a return hole. One of them might have a shutter to regulate the air flow (regulated by the temperature dial there).

The fact that there is ice building up means you've got a defrost heater that isn't working the way it should, and/or you've got a drain hole that's clogged. I think you've found a symptom, not the source of the problem.

The fan isn't above the hole, not directly. The fan is at the back of the freezer, and the holes are on either side, about 3 inches from the back of the fridge wall. the hole for the air to go into the freezer (I think) is the middle one, which you can see in one of the photos. That leads to the temperature dial and light set up.

There is no ice in the insulated "hole"- but if I peer straight up into the uninsulated hole, I think I can see some ice- at least a white chunk of something.

We use non-frost free freezers (say that three times fast!) at work, and those channels have to be defrosted on a regular cycle. We need our freezers to not undergo freeze/thaw cycles to protect biological samples, but the ice just accumulates. Sounds like ice is accumulating faster than your defrost cycle can accommodate, thus the visible ice and the melt.

Yes, that is exactly how it seems to be happening.

Trust me. It wasn't pretty. It's nice to know that I'm still not too fat to fit into a refrigerator, though. :D

I was more curious to see just how cold it was in there. ;)

Sorry I can't be much more help. I've tried looking at parts diagrams and all I have found for that model are crap.

Ok, that sounds right. But now what? I can't find any other "hole" or drain. I don't see any heater coil in there.

One thought is that maybe this started because of the high temperature and humidity from the last 6 weeks or so? That combined with maybe not having the fridge tightly closed at one point? Bob started using a bungee cord on the handle to ensure it is always closed, but it could have been ajar a bit or something as well.

Ok, that sounds right. But now what? I can't find any other "hole" or drain. I don't see any heater coil in there.

One thought is that maybe this started because of the high temperature and humidity from the last 6 weeks or so? That combined with maybe not having the fridge tightly closed at one point? Bob started using a bungee cord on the handle to ensure it is always closed, but it could have been ajar a bit or something as well.

Might have mentioned this BEFORE we had you take everything apart. :p

Ha- no, I'm just thinking out loud. I did mention the high temperatures here (it was in the 90s over the weekend, and my house got up into the 80s) and it's so humid that my homemade soap has been sweating, and that's never happened before. This started about a month ago, if I remember correctly. At first it was like, "Huh. Weird, there's a little moisture in the bottom" and I didn't think about it anymore until Bob saw some water in the basement, and we investigated and found the fridge had water in the bottom. There's been at least a little ever since.

I'm hoping that the defrosting fixes it, but I'm really worried about a malfunctioning defrost heater, if I have one!

Well look at the bright side: We know have another refrigeration expert in the group...:D

It was a VERY tiny piece of ice- it fell out a few minutes ago. Now, there are just a few drips out of both holes.

Before I put everything back together and back in the fridge, any more advice on where to look for a clogged drain? Or is is possible that the ultra-cheap Haier uses those holes as the drain, and this is what happens when temperature/condensation/whatever creates a bit of ice?

I looked back at the floor the frig was sitting on and it looks like it would take a lot of water to get to the basement, so the water on the basement floor was below a wet spot on the basement ceiling that was directly below the spot the frig was sitting? Do you have a dog?. :)

It was a VERY tiny piece of ice- it fell out a few minutes ago. Now, there are just a few drips out of both holes.

Before I put everything back together and back in the fridge, any more advice on where to look for a clogged drain? Or is is possible that the ultra-cheap Haier uses those holes as the drain, and this is what happens when temperature/condensation/whatever creates a bit of ice?

Looking at parts diagrams. Drip pan is more like a cup and should be located near the compressor.

Don't think the two vents you've shown are meant to drain.

Can't make a suggestion about drain holes without seeing them first. (Giggity)

I looked back at the floor the frig was sitting on and it looks like it would take a lot of water to get to the basement, so the water on the basement floor was below a wet spot on the basement ceiling that was directly below the spot the frig was sitting? Do you have a dog?. :)

Or an icemaker? ;)

It wasn't much water- but there is nothing but the floor (which you see) between us and the basement. The hardwood floor is the "ceiling" on the basement of our very very old house.

Since the floor is nailed together, but there are gaps where they butt together, there isn't much liquid needed to go all the way through. You could pour a cup of water on the floor in this room, and it'll be in the basement.

Looking at parts diagrams. Drip pan is more like a cup and should be located near the compressor.

I looked in there- and there was nothing cuplike at all. There was the compressor, and further in, it angled down (must be where the crisper drawer is), and some coils along that area all along there, and then coils under the fridge. When I moved the fridge, absolutely nothing spilled under (I can see all the way through, from the back where I took the panel off out the front) and there was no moisture there at all.

I'm back to let the frig completely defrost with it unplugged, level it, and make sure the doors are sealing.

I looked in there- and there was nothing cuplike at all. There was the compressor, and further in, it angled down (must be where the crisper drawer is), and some coils along that area all along there, and then coils under the fridge. When I moved the fridge, absolutely nothing spilled under (I can see all the way through, from the back where I took the panel off out the front) and there was no moisture there at all.

If its frostless its got to have a drip pan (cup) or some mechanism for the defrosted water to collect and evaporate between defrosts cycles. I'm stumped.

edit: and its always near the compressor because the extra warm air helps evaporate the drip pan.

Is there a pan/tray under the compressor?

Newer fridges don't actually expect you to drain the condensate. They typically locate in a warm spot and use evaporation. Being out of level could easily cause condensate to over flow a low corner of a shallow compressor tray/pan.

Having the compressors bushings inside the condensate tray is not ideal for longevity but, this is a Haier.

I'm back to let the frig completely defrost with it unplugged, level it, and make sure the doors are sealing.

Oh, I did fix the wheel so it's level now.

If its frostless its got to have a drip pan (cup) or some mechanism for the defrosted water to collect and evaporate between defrosts cycles. I'm stumped.

Yes, I realize that- and I've been looking everywhere including next to the compressor. But there is still a little water dripping out those two "holes" in the fridge, and now I'm wondering if that's how the Haier is?

I googled my model number, and all I get is this:
http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDet...Number=HTE18WAAWW-09&ss=a4b198c38d682499&mr=1

Read a few of the posts and one says the drip pan sits on the compressor. The google one seems to be the same issue you are having.

Yes, and it seems the "clogged" or "frozen" drain line from the freezer is inside the panel, doesn't it? And it seems that it does drain through those holes when plugged.

But..........where does it go when it's NOT plugged? There is no pan or cup that I can find!

Oh, and this is weird, but the ice was in the hole on the right, the uninsulated one. But the water that has been dripping has been coming out of the hole on the LEFT, once that little piece of ice fell out on the right.

so based on the "Just Answer" link it looks like you just need to let the frig defrost over night. Leave the doors open and point a fan towards the open door if you can, and tomorrow it should be fine. You will need to make sure the door is sealed as pointed out by several folks earlier in the thread.

That's what I have to do, I guess. But I wonder WHERE the drain is, and if it's full/clogged I'd like to empty it.

I'd also like to see if the defrost heater is broken/obstructed, but I think I'd have to take the back of the freezer compartment apart, and Gila sort of dissuaded me.....................

That's what I have to do, I guess. But I wonder WHERE the drain is, and if it's full/clogged I'd like to empty it.

I'd also like to see if the defrost heater is broken/obstructed, but I think I'd have to take the back of the freezer compartment apart, and Gila sort of dissuaded me.....................

If you have the time, do the easy stuff first, which based on the links you found is let it defrost unplugged over night. If that doesn't work, start taking things apart. but I think it froze up due to moisture getting in there from the door based on one of your posts.

Heater is usually wrapped around the coil inside behind the panel where the fan lives. It's rare that the heater itself fails. It's basically just an element like in an oven, just not as hot.

The defrost timer is usually the culprit. Typically found at the bottom front of the fridge behind the toe kick trim.

Back of the freezer compartment isn't hard, but it is a PITA if the issue is not in there.

If you have the time, do the easy stuff first, which based on the links you found is let it defrost unplugged over night. If that doesn't work, start taking things apart. but I think it froze up due to moisture getting in there from the door based on one of your posts.

Yes, but I'd rather fix it before I put all the kegs and hops back in! I'll be really pissed if I put it all back together tomorrow and it still leaks!

I had four completely full kegs, and 1 partially filled 3 gallon kegs. I took out all of the freezer stuff as well. I'd rather not do this again a week from now!

Yes, but I'd rather fix it before I put all the kegs and hops back in! I'll be really pissed if I put it all back together tomorrow and it still leaks!

I had four completely full kegs, and 1 partially filled 3 gallon kegs. I took out all of the freezer stuff as well. I'd rather not do this again a week from now!

Yes I understand. All the parts that have been discussed has to be there in some way.

This link you found seems to be the most informative to what problem you had: http://www.justanswer.com/appliance...ier-model-hte18waaww-05-seems-leak-water.html

carefully read through it. There is a catch cup it seems up in the top that feeds a tube that goes to the drip tray that's located above the compressor. You'll need to match that info to what you see as you take things apart.

I actually think that if you can let it defrost and you fix the door seal, then you are good to go.

to verify: From earlier in the posts it sounded like the door was not sealing, or you thought it was not sealing?

I took the back panel off, but I can't get the bottom lifted up around the "lip" of that fan cover.

here's a picture:
P8180007.jpg

P8180008.jpg

P8180009.jpg

The bottom panel is held by the 'lip' of that fan channel, and those weird snaps (not screws) in the front. I'm afraid of breaking that.

I could move the rear panel forward, and there is no ice at all back there, but the stripping along the back (covering where the ice machine line is) is wet.

If its not due to a poor door seal then it could be the defrost heater or defrost timer. This means you will have to take an internal panel off to the evaporator and check the resistance of the defrost heater. if that's okay then the defrost timer is usually part of the controls and need to be checked, but on the repair clinic site I did not see a reference to a defrost timer, so I'm a bit stuck on that one.

If its not due to a poor door seal then it could be the defrost heater or defrost timer. This means you will have to take an internal panel off to the evaporator and check the resistance of the defrost heater. if that's okay then the defrost timer is usually part of the controls and need to be checked, but on the repair clinic site I did not see a reference to a defrost timer, so I'm a bit stuck on that one.

Sears diagram shows a timer. In the assembly with the light bulb.

If you have to order parts, get the model# of the part from Sears. Then Google the part #. You'll find it much cheaper on Amazon. At least an igniter for my stove was $27. including shipping, as compared to $189. Plus shipping from Sears.

Got 'em out!

The drain pan has water in it- but I can't lift out the pan. I think I did find the drain tube!

See that hole? I couldn't put my finger in it, as it felt solid, so I bet that's ice!

P8180010.jpg

P8180011.jpg

I have no idea how to check the resistance of the heater!

That's in the front, with the temperature controller part. Does that seem right?

I took the back panel off, but I can't get the bottom lifted up around the "lip" of that fan cover.

here's a picture:
View attachment 297330

View attachment 297331

View attachment 297332

The bottom panel is held by the 'lip' of that fan channel, and those weird snaps (not screws) in the front. I'm afraid of breaking that.

I could move the rear panel forward, and there is no ice at all back there, but the stripping along the back (covering where the ice machine line is) is wet.

Okay good. looks like all the electrical controls are together. The timer controls power to the defrost heater by controlling a switch that is part of the timer assembly.

Back