3 BBL RIMS Control panel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm in the planning phase of my brewery and wanted to see if I could build a control panel for a 3 BBL RIMS system. I have built a Kal Clone for my home brewing setup so I have some experience/knowledge in the area. I've been looking at the panels from Brewmation and they will most likely be the path I go; however, if I can build it, I will.

It would be awesome if someone already has built/bought one and could kind of give me some info. If not, I think that a schematic from the guru (P-J) would do me just fine. Anyways, here are a few things that might make the schematics a little easier.

1. I would like to run off of standard 240. I don't know if I will be able to get 3-phase.

2. I would like to be able to run all elements at the same time. I plan on double batching a few recipes and would like to shorten those brew days if possible.

3. I want the HLT and RIMS tube heating elements to be powered at the same time but on separate controllers (if the whole thing can't be) so the sparge water can get to temperature while the mash is RIMS tube is maintaining mash temps.

4. I would like to have switches for three pumps if power supply allows it. If not, that's cool.

Thanks in advance!

Jeff Hartman
Sweet Asylum Brewing

Hey guys,

I'm in the planning phase of my brewery and wanted to see if I could build a control panel for a 3 BBL RIMS system. I have built a Kal Clone for my home brewing setup so I have some experience/knowledge in the area. I've been looking at the panels from Brewmation and they will most likely be the path I go; however, if I can build it, I will.

It would be awesome if someone already has built/bought one and could kind of give me some info. If not, I think that a schematic from the guru (P-J) would do me just fine. Anyways, here are a few things that might make the schematics a little easier.

1. I would like to run off of standard 240. I don't know if I will be able to get 3-phase.

2. I would like to be able to run all elements at the same time. I plan on double batching a few recipes and would like to shorten those brew days if possible.

3. I want the HLT and RIMS tube heating elements to be powered at the same time but on separate controllers (if the whole thing can't be) so the sparge water can get to temperature while the mash is RIMS tube is maintaining mash temps.

4. I would like to have switches for three pumps if power supply allows it. If not, that's cool.

Thanks in advance!

Jeff Hartman
Sweet Asylum Brewing

Jeff...

Jeremy here. I have access to electricians that can help you with this for basically free advise.

Can you give me some idea element sizes & current requirements for the elements?

PM if need be. I can get one of my guys to look it over.

Curious though... What is the largest element you can run off of 240v? You looking at commercial I assume?

Running the kettle on gas?

Thanks for the quick response. I want to use electricity for the whole thing. No gas. I'm in South Carolina and I would like to reduce as much heat as possible in the brewery area, lol. I currently use 5500 watt elements in my kettles. I have read a few posts where people are using three or four of those. I was thinking about either those or the 6k watt elements from Brewmation. It would all depend on the panel build and the power available. From everything I have found though, it seems that 6k will be the limit on 240.

I also forgot to mention that I don't care if it is PID controlled or BCS controlled.

I have looked into this as well. I found the brewmation panels pretty expensive. I have talked to another brewer and they are built very very well however.

I also spoke to Ryan at ebrewsupply and even though it's not listed in his website he makes large panels that have the capability you are looking for. The pricing I got for a custom configuration for a 3 barrel system was much more affordable. And he'll build BCS or pid, in whatever configuration you need. I've not used his panels but everything I've seen and in talking to him I wouldn't hesitate.

Latest posts

Back