Cannot get the hoppyness!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockdemon

Reaction score
Ive tried a couple of times to make hoppy belgian pale ale. I really love the mix of belgian yeast and alot of hops. Ive tried different recipes and clone recipes but cannot get the hops to shine through. When i make my american pale ale or IPAs i dont have this problem(high ibu hops) but when im trying to make hoppy beer with low alpha hops nothing happens. My latest brew just had a bit of bittering to it but no hop flavour/aroma.
3.6 gal
according to brewersfriend i would get IBU: 64.75 with
0.5 oz magnum @ 60
0.7 oz hallertau mittelfruh @ 30
0.7 oz saaz @ 30
0.7 oz haller @ 5
0.7 oz saaz @ 5.

One of my favourite belgian breweries De Ranke says this about one their most popular beers:
XX Bitter or Extra Extra Bitter is a blond, bitter ale containing 6.2% vol. Alc. It’s famous for it’s very bitter and strong flavour. XX is being made with pale pilsner malt and loads of Brewers Gold and Hallertau hop flowers. A perfect combination that has been nationally and internationally praised. This ale has been a real trendsetter for the current comeback of bitter ales in Belgium.

Theis fresh harvest beer has magnum and then hallertauer and its very hoppy. it is not dry-hopped.

What could i be doing wrong? I really want that crisp, floral almost soapy flavor... When i read other belgian pale ale recipes they dont seem to use bizarre amounts of hops? should i try double it up or might there be another problem?

Have you considered dry hopping your beer? Developing a crisp hoppy aroma can enhance your perception of the hop flavor.

Try this - do the exact same recipe, but at flame out remove the Magnum, chill the beer down to 180F, and let it sit for 20 minutes with the lid on.

Just do the bitter addition in the boil then do most of the hop additions at the end. like from 10 - 0 minutes left in the boil. Also dry hop a couple oz of hops after fermentation is done.

Here' same total heresy: noble type hops give you much more flavor with earlier additions. The reason is the oils we need from German type hops (humbleness, caryophylene) have much different chemical properties from myrcene, the one we want from American hops. So, move those late additions to 30 and 15 minute additions.

You might also look to water chemistry. High pH can muddy hop flavors.

Ive tried a couple of times to make hoppy belgian pale ale. I really love the mix of belgian yeast and alot of hops. Ive tried different recipes and clone recipes but cannot get the hops to shine through. When i make my american pale ale or IPAs i dont have this problem(high ibu hops) but when im trying to make hoppy beer with low alpha hops nothing happens. My latest brew just had a bit of bittering to it but no hop flavour/aroma.
3.6 gal
according to brewersfriend i would get IBU: 64.75 with
0.5 oz magnum @ 60
0.7 oz hallertau mittelfruh @ 30
0.7 oz saaz @ 30
0.7 oz haller @ 5
0.7 oz saaz @ 5.

One of my favourite belgian breweries De Ranke says this about one their most popular beers:
XX Bitter or Extra Extra Bitter is a blond, bitter ale containing 6.2% vol. Alc. It’s famous for it’s very bitter and strong flavour. XX is being made with pale pilsner malt and loads of Brewers Gold and Hallertau hop flowers. A perfect combination that has been nationally and internationally praised. This ale has been a real trendsetter for the current comeback of bitter ales in Belgium.

Theis fresh harvest beer has magnum and then hallertauer and its very hoppy. it is not dry-hopped.

What could i be doing wrong? I really want that crisp, floral almost soapy flavor... When i read other belgian pale ale recipes they dont seem to use bizarre amounts of hops? should i try double it up or might there be another problem?

Well, .7 ounces of late hops isn't "loads".

I'd go ahead and bitter with magnum like you have, shooting for about 30 IBUs with that addition, and then use the hallertauer and saaz at 10 minutes and 0 minutes, making fairly large additions. You coulld use brewer's gold, as they do, instead of saaz but if you love the spiciness of saaz, that's fine there.

Is your grain bill all pilsner malt? What is your water like?

I could be off track here but using a good healthy yeast culture to ensure a clean fermentation often helps the hops to pop.

Sent from hell
using Home Brew

Well, .7 ounces of late hops isn't "loads".

I'd go ahead and bitter with magnum like you have, shooting for about 30 IBUs with that addition, and then use the hallertauer and saaz at 10 minutes and 0 minutes, making fairly large additions. You coulld use brewer's gold, as they do, instead of saaz but if you love the spiciness of saaz, that's fine there.

Is your grain bill all pilsner malt? What is your water like?

I asumed that they use brewers gold for bittering but maybe they use it at other stages aswell?
How about brewers gold at 60 and 30 and then big piles of hallertauer at 10 and 0? Or should i use a mix of haller and brewers at the end?

I use a ph- stabilizator in my mash, I just assume that it works. Otherwise i dont do anything to my water.

The grainbill for my pale ale is pilsner malt and some wheat. I added about 5% sugar in the fermentation bucket after 3 days as an attempt to make the beer drier.

Back