Celebration Sierra Nevada Recipe jpg/pdf??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cannman

Beer Theorist
Reaction score
Once upon a time, I stumbled upon an image that had all 3 versions of the celebration recipe: Extract Malt, Mini mash, all grain. It had a bottle of celebration and seem to be an official release from Sierra Nevada. Does anyone have this? Know where to find it? Would you post it? Thanks! :D

Subscribed. I am interested in this too.

FOUND IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ban:

2014-09-27 12.58.33.jpg

Awesome! Well done.

I love this beer and usually buy a case every year. Might have to make my own this year.

Recipes like this always crack me up. If you saw someone post an IPA recipe with 15oz of Crystal 60L everyone would be telling you that's way too much Crystal and that East Coast IPAs are nasty.

Recipes like this always crack me up. If you saw someone post an IPA recipe with 15oz of Crystal 60L everyone would be telling you that's way too much Crystal and that East Coast IPAs are nasty.

The 157.5 mash temp would throw people also.

I don't quite understand the comment... can you elaborate?

I don't quite understand the comment... can you elaborate?

When you post IPA recipes for feedback, a comment you hear frequently is how your recipe has way too much Crystal. If a homebrewer were to post this recipe here or other places the feedback you'd get is, "That's way too much crystal, your IPA is going to taste terrible." And assuming the recipe is accurate, that's clearly not the case--it's one of the best IPAs out there.

I've had fantastic results with a decent amount of crystal and high mash temps. A lot of my first IPAs resemble this recipe

While I think clone recipes are generally setting yourself up for disappointment, I did make a beer inspired by celebration last year, that turned out extremely well. I chose not to use the aforementioned recipes because I couldn't reconcile the SRM with the use of crystal 60, plus there seems to be more depth/slight raisiny character in celebration that 60 really doesn't provide. Enter crystal 80. Here you go

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
12 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 92.3 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 2 7.7 %
0.80 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 3 32.6 IBUs
0.75 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 4 16.4 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 5 5.7 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 6 10.3 IBUs
1.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 7 0.0 IBUs
1.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 9 -

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.064 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.5 %
Bitterness: 65.0 IBUs Calories: 151.6 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 10.3 SRM
Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 13 lbs
Sparge Water: 4.79 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F Tun Temperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.20

Mash Steps
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 16.25 qt of water at 165.9 F 154.0 F 60 min

I dry hopped with 1.5oz each of cent. and cascade.

When you post IPA recipes for feedback, a comment you hear frequently is how your recipe has way too much Crystal. If a homebrewer were to post this recipe here or other places the feedback you'd get is, "That's way too much crystal, your IPA is going to taste terrible." And assuming the recipe is accurate, that's clearly not the case--it's one of the best IPAs out there.

Interesting to know! I'll keep this in mind the day I want feedback on an ipa ;)

Back