Fresh cider from my homemade press & scratter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peruvian802

Reaction score
I shared some photos last year but they were buried in another thread, so I thought I would take new pics to share.

I build a scratter (to chop up apples) and press several years ago out of scrap lumber and a Sears garbage disposal. I paid $80 for the disposal, $10 for the bottle jack, $20 in a new extension cord and water tight switch box, and a few bucks for bolts/nuts/screws but even most of the hardware was already in the garage.

Here's the scratter on the stand I built (don't hate my crappy carpentry, it works!):

The pomace is like apple sauce:

My press is styled after a rack and cheese version like the big boys use. I don't have racks between every cheese because I haven't made them yet and so far they haven't been necessary.

Building the first cheese (those are santizier bubbles):

I lay up a rack and then build another cheese on top until it's four high:

You can see juice pouring out and I haven't even pressed yet.

I lay the rack on top and then use a 4 ton bottle jack to press. I use some scrap wood to take up top space as the cheeses press out:

It's been a banner year and I've pressed 24 gallons so far. My neighbor has plenty more apples so I probably will exceed thirty gallons this year.

Back