Yeast Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kulprit

Reaction score
Ok so I have poured over these forums - and ordered "How To Brew" by Palmer and it arrived yesterday. So after reading it over I have a question about this.

If I order a standard extract kit from AHS with liquid yeast - about how long prior to my planned brewing should I start my yeast starter?

I get confused cause it says to put the starter yeast in a sample of the wort and store it in the fermentation temp - but if it takes a little while to get a proper starter - started - then how can I get the wort if I start it prior to brew?

I think I am missing something and by reading it over and over it's only getting worse - can anyone straighten my out?

The minimum is eighteen hours. At this point you'ld be pitching the yeast at high krausen (peak activity) but not necessarily optimum yeast count. If you are looking to get as many yeast cell as you can out of your starter, start it three days ahead of your brew.

Here's a link that'll help you out: http://www.mrmalty.com/

When you make a starter you don't use the wort from the beer you're brewing, you make a starter wort.

I use a 1 cup to one ounce ratio of dry malt extract, boil that and then in a sanitary manner, bring it down to room temp to slightly warm (NOT hot) and then pour the yeast into that. If it's White Labs, shake it and pour it. If it's Wyeast, smack the pack several hours prior to this and wait till is begins swelling.

If this is your first brew and you don't have any DME to spare, don't worry over much, it's still possible to brew but it might take longer to show activity.

Kevin Dean said:
When you make a starter you don't use the wort from the beer you're brewing, you make a starter wort.

I use a 1 cup to one ounce ratio of dry malt extract, boil that and then in a sanitary manner, bring it down to room temp to slightly warm (NOT hot) and then pour the yeast into that. If it's White Labs, shake it and pour it. If it's Wyeast, smack the pack several hours prior to this and wait till is begins swelling.

If this is your first brew and you don't have any DME to spare, don't worry over much, it's still possible to brew but it might take longer to show activity.

This makes sense. This is my first brew and I don't currently have anything. I will only have whatever the kits send me.

So basically make a smaller wort batch add the yeast and put it in a small fermentor and store it in the temp I plan to store the 5 gal brew later.

Kulprit said:
This makes sense. This is my first brew and I don't currently have anything. I will only have whatever the kits send me.

So basically make a smaller wort batch add the yeast and put it in a small fermentor and store it in the temp I plan to store the 5 gal brew later.
If that kit has some dry malt extract in it, you can pilfer a bit to make your starter. You will end up dumping it all back into the brew anyways.

And yes, just use a 1 gal or 1/2 gal jug (plastic or glass) that is immaculately clean and properly sanitized for your starter. You probably won't see much activity in it, but it should ferment out after about 24 hours if you have fresh liquid yeast. At that point, it is ready to pitch.

Best of luck on the first brew! :mug:

Back