Please critique on my very FIRST IPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowtires

Reaction score
This will be the first IPA recipe that i made with beer smith. Anything look wrong with this? i want a really hoppy IPA with lots of pine citrus flavours and a strong aroma. The hops i have to work with are Amarillo, Citra, Simcoe and Chinook.

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1 lbs Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM)
11 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1.25 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min

Est Original Gravity: 1.062 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.6 %
Bitterness: 84.0 IBUs
Est Color: 8.9 SRM

I'm going to go ahead and brew this one on saturday. I'll let you know how it turns out.
On a side note I brewed my first experimental 1 gallon batch of beer in the kitchen using whole leaf hops. it was still a lot of work, then when I poured that 1 gallon in my Mr beer fermenter I was like oh man, what have I done! 1 gallon of beer is like a teaser. Never again

Just poured my first pint and so far this is the best ipa I have ever tasted. Mind you I don't have access to all the fancy beer that you Americans do so I'm not calling myself and expert but it smells like peaches and tastes like pine trees, just perfect

Just poured my first pint and so far this is the best ipa I have ever tasted. Mind you I don't have access to all the fancy beer that you Americans do so I'm not calling myself and expert but it smells like peaches and tastes like pine trees, just perfect

Sounds great! Well, except for smelling like peaches that is! :cross: Sounds like you used S05 yeast if you got "peaches"!

Yes us05 it was, though I have never got this aroma from any other ipa I have made using it, I was attributing it to the 1oz citra dry hop but I could be describing the aroma wrongly. Def like stone fruit tho not citrus fruit

I just bottled an APA last night that I dry hopped with a 1:2 ratio citra and amarillo that definitely smelled more like peaches than citra's typical tropical. I can definitely see it pairing with simcoe. Remembering your hop schedule for the next IPA!

That batch went way too fast. I took it to a mix off party and people loved it even people who don't drink beer one of the people got lychee on the nose.I don't eat lychee but could be.

Any how I'm brewing this again except with only 8 oz of the amber malt and an extra 8oz of 2 row and I'm going to add 1oz of citra at flameout

I'm doing an overnight mash for the first time and brewing in the morning

I just did a Amarillo/citra IPA. can't wait to try it?

After a 10 hour mash the temperature was 144 I mashed in at 154.
When I was measuring out my hops I accidently put in the last 2 oz of my Chinook in my flameout bag, it was mixed with other hops so what are you gonna do. This recipe now has an extra 2oz of Chinook and I added the 1oz of citra for flameout so there's 6oz for flameout. I like hops so what's the worst that can happen?lol were boiling now. I'll let you know how it turns out

Okay so this last beer with the extra Chinook and citra and less caramunich was really good and the keg got polished off at for my 30th birthday redneck deep fry. But even tho it was happy and delicious as many ipas are. There was really something perfect about my original recipe.
The next IPA I make is back to the recipe I have posted originally.

If anyone wants to try a IPA recipe. Try this one and let me know. It was a huge hit people who don't drink beer loved it and people who love ipas loved it.

late additions at 15 and 5 works best for me. i also never bitter to IBU's over my SG. 1.062 would get around 40-45 IBU from me. maybe that's a problem of mine since i've been hop blasting and getting low perceived bitterness.

Just an update. I have made it a point to try a lot of different commercial IPAS lately. And so far my favorites are fresh squeezed IPA By deshutes and sierra Nevada hop torpedo from the USA. and my fav Canuck ones are red racer by central city and switchback IPA from lighthouse.

This recipe is most similar to switchback except even better. Can't wait to get a chance to brew it again. Possibly this weekend

People keep asking when I'm brewing this again so I guess I better. Going to go with the original recipe with the 1oz of citra at flameout

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

Back