Accidentally got some iodophor from siphon into keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepymonkey

Reaction score
Hi, ya'll! I'm glad to join the community. I just racked my first 5-gallon batch today (first batch outside of the Mr.Beer kegs), and I'm a little worried. I had a bucket of Iodophor @ 12.5 ppm (the recommended concentration for using as a no-rinse) up high by the sink and had my racking cane and tubing in there, filled up with water and started the siphon so it was filled up with the solution, put my thumb over it to save the siphon and meant to put it in the wort and let the siphon dump the sanitizing solution into a pot until the beer flowed and put it in my keg. Problem is it took three tries and on the last one (where the siphon worked) I accidentally dumped the Iodophor solution in the 4 ft. or so of tubing into the keg with the beer. Also I recreated the siphon with the same tubing to see how much soution got in beer. It was 1/2 cup (8 Tbsp.) @ 12.5 ppm concentration into a 5-gallon batch. Do you think this batch is gonna be ruined? Any thoughts or input would be appreciated. Thanks!

That's like .6% by volume, I wouldn't think it would be a big deal, not even sure it would be detectable in the taste either. Get yourself an auto-siphon, WELL worth the money, couple short pumps and you are ready to rock every time.

Thanks for the reply. Just didn't want the beer to be toxic or anything.I actually just saw an auto-siphon for the first time today while watching YouTube videos before I racked that batch. Am going to order one right now. Advice appreciated!:mug:

That is an excellent article. This guy went all out with the scientific method approaching this! A lot of work but it was certainly done right. Thanks.

Just to post back- the beer was fine and so have been the ones since using the Iodophor (not concentrated over 12.5 ppm) and just letting the equipment or kegs just drip dry for a couple of minutes. The article posted on this thread by GenIke was quite helpful.

Glad your beer is fine! Just for future reference... Dissolved into 2 gallons (256 fluid ounces) with a TBS (0.5 fluid ounces) of solution leaves us with 0.19 percent iodophor. Lets assume you had a temporary malfunction and you managed to get a gallon of that solution in your 5 gallon corny keg. Now 20% of your beer is this solution. Which means 20% of 0.19%. Which means that 0.039% of your beer is iodophor. The remaining 99.96% is now beer and water.

The good news is that watered down beer is the worst that would happen. The bad news is that it'd be watered down beer. but hardly ruined, still drinkable, and would not kill the yeast in such a small amount.

Just to post back- the beer was fine and so have been the ones since using the Iodophor (not concentrated over 12.5 ppm) and just letting the equipment or kegs just drip dry for a couple of minutes. The article posted on this thread by GenIke was quite helpful.

Glad the article helped. I just stumbled on it trying to offer advice in this thread. Lucky find I guess!

Did you taste any hint of iodophor in the finished beer?

Back