burner, getting warmer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zymurgrafi

Reaction score
Okay, I like the banjo that the_bird suggested but unfortunately I missed the boat on the deal. How about this one? (king kooker now ruled out.)

419RNDRQF2L._SS500_.jpg

not as good as the banjo perhaps but, better effeciency? better output? than cheapy torch models?

Dang, this is confusing.

The info on the various CC models is tough to come by. There are, AFAIK, 4 actual burner configurations, packaged in a variety of stands.

The 'big mutha' is the High Pressure Cast Iron Banjo Burner, which is part of the Kick Ass Banjo Burner. That model comes with the high pressure regulator and has the 210KBTU rating.

Then you have the High Pressure Cast Iron Fry Burner, in the model shown above and the High Pressure Cast Iron Burner. These are normaly packaged with the 10psi regulator and are both rated at 55KBTU at that pressure. The High Pressure Cast Iron Burner will put out 170KBTU with the high pressure regulator. The High Pressure Cast Iron Fry Burner may be used with the high pressure regulator but, 'the flame is less controllable'. No heat output listed that I could find.

Then finally , you have the High Pressure Propane Jet Burner at 185KBTU. Supposedly this is also a less controllable flame, but appropriate for boiling as opposed to fine control cooking. I can't find any reference of the Jet Cooker being less efficient. If you are burning the propane at the correct mixture, you will get the same heat output per volume of propane burnt. If you have too rich a mixture, you will have bigger problems than low heat, like either a lot of soot or maybe even a carbon monoxide generator.

Me, I'm going shopping for the high pressure regulator to plug into my High Pressure Cast Iron Burner.

I have that burner and I am pleased with it. I boil 8 gallons easily and get 5-6 brews out of a 5 gallon tank. It has a nice wide base for a large kettle so it feels good and secure.

I have the burner in the original post, and I almost just bought another one at amazon ($39 free ship), but Home Depot had 'em for $45.

They work great (I've only boiled 8 gal but it wasn't straining). Much stronger and I'd really worry about scorching and having to stir too much.

I definately like the four leg designs better. I am sure the three-leggers are perfectly stable, but I have this feeling that I would be the guy that had it fall over.

This is the one I have. Mine's 55K BTUs and gets up to a boil in less than 1/2 hour, but I never timed it so it could be as short as 20 minutes.

It feels very stable and based off its weight limit I think it could hold a 40gallon pot. Although, I've never tested that theory.

raceskier said:
Dang, this is confusing.

you can say that again!

Hey thanks folks. I love the look of the banjo but not the current pricetag. This one seems a little more do-able $$$ wise. It is really hard to figure out these burners as they do not really describe them well. Plus, having never used one I have no idea what to look for. All the advice is GREATLY appreciated.

oh, speaking of confusing...

Someone explain high pressure vs. low pressure burners? I understand why the blowtorch type ones are not as effecient, but I do not understand how the other types "work"

Thanks.

Get the Banjo,

They are $65.00 shipped from Amozon and they are unbelievable. I had a standard high pressure turkey fryer burner, which I set to high immediately when starting to sparg.....It would take at least an hour to even get close to a boil. (8 to 9 gallon).and the resulting "boil" was lethargic...IE not really a boil. The Banjo pretty much kept a boil through the entire sparge and then I actually had my first boil over. Boy was I impressed. To keep a nice boil meant a very low setting. 100 + mini flames ( about 1/4 inch blue flames) silent...beautifull boil. I use a 50qt aluminum pot.

Back