My first recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ó Flannagáin

Reaction score
Ok, this is my first attempt ever at a recipe, please go easy on me, but I do want to know if this is ridiculous. I spent a long time putting it together doing all sorts of research, but I think I might have trailed off a bit.

I was going for a very hoppy porter of sorts, I'm not sure porter's are supposed to be hoppy, but I guess I'm just experimenting. I love hoppy beers and I love porters.

SG 1.067
effeciency 75%
IBU 37

9lb Pale 2 Row
2lb Crystal 30L
1lb Chocolate
.5lb Black Patent

Chinook 60min
Mt Hood 10min
Mt Hood 0min

Nottingham Dry Yeast

...I based my hops off of different descriptions of what a porter should have as far as IBU's and upped the IBU's a little bit, just to make mine a little hoppier.
... I was thinking about adding some lactose, for experimental purposes. Is that goin overboard?

Well if you're going for a true Porter rather than an Americanised version I'd look at English hops, Take the Black out and use a darker crystal and Use Fuggles.
Mayye a Widsor instead of the Nottingham.
I'd leave the lactose. Leave that for a sweet stout. If you want a maltier sweeter brew then just increase your mash temp a little.

But I'm just being picky. If your doing the recipe to match what you have in stock then go for it.

Some info below.

The origins of Porter date back to London in the early nineteenth century, when it was popular to mix two or three beers, usually an old, well-vatted or 'stale' brown ale, with a new brown ale and a pale ale. It was time consuming for the publican to pull from three casks for one pint, and so brewers in London tested and produced a new beer, known as 'entire', to match the tastes of such mixtures. Using high roasted malts, 'entire' was dark, cloudy and hoppy. It was also easily produced in bulk and ideally suited to the soft well-water of London. Very quickly, it became popular amongst the porters working in Billingsgate and Smithfield markets, and gradually, the beer took on the name 'Porter', in recognition of its main consumers.
London Porter captures the flavours of those brews perfectly, although you won't find a cloudy pint these days! Smooth, rich, and strong (5.4% a.b.v.), London Porter is brewed from a blend of brown, crystal and chocolate malts for a creamy delivery balanced by traditional Fuggles hops.

I guess.

I'm a poor English man drinking Poor English Ale.
You guys take our old ale recipes and run with it.
I get lost with it all.

I understand

Mild
Pale and India Pale
Porter
Bitter
Brown Ale
And I try some blondes.

I couldn't brew or taste all of the beers in those styles in a lifetime (I'll die trying though)

I am sure you'll do well. One thing I can assure you is that when recipes are your own no matter what it deals with; you will always have some level of pride and satisfaction in your work. Good Luck!:rockin:

seefresh said:
...I based my hops off of different descriptions of what a porter should have as far as IBU's and upped the IBU's a little bit, just to make mine a little hoppier.
... I was thinking about adding some lactose, for experimental purposes. Is that goin overboard?

Upping the IBUs will make it more bitter but won't add much in the way of flavor. If you want it to be really hoppy, try a later hop addition, say around 15 minutes. That's where hop flavor comes from.

As far as the lactose goes - blech. But that's just me...

:D

Wow, just tasted this during move to secondary... AMAZING!! Probably too much flavor for some, but I"m big on it. Very dark, strong bitterness and hop aroma. Also a very strong coffee taste... guess its the patent that is bringing this out?

This beer turned out absolutely delicious. It has a balanced bitterness along with a VERY tasty maltiness. Very simple, slightly smoky porter that is a new favorite of mine. I'd take this over a commercial beer anyday. I would post a picture, but its black with a brown head like any other porter.

Hi Meyer, welcome to HBT. Man, I love Atlanta. I've spent so much time there. Grew up about an hour from there, just over the alabama border. Hoping to get back there some day.

Got a family friend who was quarterback for the falcons for a long time.. even got rookie of the year.

Back