Odd Smell from the Primary!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrimgouer

Reaction score
I've been helping some friends out with their homebrews for a few months now but this is by first batch. I'm using a John Bull Pilsner Kit that contained malt-and Iso-Hop extracts. During the boil I added 1kg of corn sugar like the directions called for (I didn't know about dry malt extract) . Although this is a lager style, my more experienced friend suggested I use White Labs wet California Ale V yeast instead of the sachet of dry yeast that came with the kit. I stored my primary in a closet and have been regulating the temperature at 68F (20C) for the past 4 days. The yeast has an Optimum Ferm T of 70-75F.

Here's the issue. The closet (no windows) has been filled with a sour or cidery smell since fermentation began. Is it only because I have it in a closet that I'm noticing an aroma or is it because I did something wrong? Using sugar in the boil, infection, or temperature changes perhaps?

Let me know what you think.

Scrimgouer said:
(I didn't know about dry malt extract).

So are you saying that you didn't add the DME at all?
If so, your not even making been, just some sort of strange alcoholic beverage.

I think he means he didn't know about substituting DME for the corn sugar that the kit contained or recommended. Probably a can or two of the John Bull (LME) went in there.

Kind of too little information to know if there's a problem yet, but I would doubt it - if this is your first brew you're probably just anxious and overconcerned. I would guess that the confines of the closet probably do concentrate the smells normal to the fermentation process.
The real first test for me is when the ferment has slowed or is almost done and I take my first sample for the hydro reading. That's my first 'up close and personal' examination and assessment of what the beer looks, smells and tastes like.

The corn sugar could be contributing the cidery aromas also.

RDWHAHB... :D

I do all my brewing in a very small closet: 2ft. x 4ft. and I've always noticed interesting smells during fermentation. I always put it down to the high concentration of CO2, and there's probably some aromatics for the wert involved. This is what you might be seeing if it's a small, unventelated closet you're using.

A cidery eggy sulpher smell is completley normal, after you've done a few brews you'll probably start to like the smell! The missus never will though. It's just the CO2 being produced with a mix of the wort your using. Don't worry about it! :D

When I do pilsners, I tend to get funny smells also... I think it's because the hop count is reduced and no grains are used to give it a diffrent smell also.. I dunno the exact chemistry but I can say that my pilsners have come out pretty good. Sit back, drink a beer, and enjoy it when it's finished..

Fermentation is a weird thing. You will smell things you've never smelt before, in strange new combinations of aromas. I defintiely would not worry about it. I've only had one batch so far that smelled "bad," and it still tastes great.

Back