LME and DME why?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, DME is way more expensive, even accounting for the fact that it's more concentrated. I use only LME for brewing, but I use DME for starters and priming.

I'm curious about which LMR producers are "less reputable." I check the ingredients of every can I buy and none has listed anything but malted barley and water. I've used Coopers, Breiss and several others. Has this been documented? It's hanging out there still and if I missed the link that substantiates that it happens and who does it, I apologize.

SteveM said:
I'm curious about which LMR producers are "less reputable." I check the ingredients of every can I buy and none has listed anything but malted barley and water. I've used Coopers, Breiss and several others. Has this been documented? It's hanging out there still and if I missed the link that substantiates that it happens and who does it, I apologize.

You haven't missed it. It seems that there is no sustaining evidence for that claim...

mmditter said:
This is a very interesting thread to me. I have a couple of takes on it.

1. Most extract brewers in this forum seem to prefer dry malt extract over liquid. Yet, the two LHBS's I go to always want to sell LME. Most of the online ones seem to have a lot more LME than DME on their websites. Most extract recipes I see (not all, but most) seem to feature mostly LME.

2. Is this an accurate assessment: Tasters Choice instant powder vs. ground coffee: ick. Make that totally ick.

Frozen concentrate vs. fresh squeezed orange juice. Not as good as the fresh, but definitely not ick.

I could be way wrong, but to me it would seem that liquid malt extract is sort of concentrated wort that's sort of the same as orange juice concentrate. The dry would seem to be more like the instant coffee.
gay, absolutely gay. wow. Sorry but your comparing apples to instant oranges! I say, try reading up on the processes of LME and DME. Also, ask yourself this- is either one more efficient than the other? Then maybe it will make sense. ;)

Latest posts

Back