Not so new...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
But I thought I'd introduce myself from my present location in South Korea. I'll be here for the next few months. Internet access has been tough to get, hence the lack of recent posts with my name on them. I got DSL in my room today. It's good to be back!

There's an extract brew session in the hotel courtyard in the works!

Hey Yuri!

There were a couple posts recently on welding and muscle cars that really seemed to be lacking your perspective. Good to have you back!

Are you going to get to travel at all? I spent two years of my life in Korea--I know the place pretty well. You absolutely MUST get to Osan for a weekend. The partying and shopping cannot be beat.

Eat some yoo-kay-jong too (like a korean beef stew) and lots of cucumber kimchi!!!!!!

Honestly, the year I spent at Osan was the best assignment I've had in 15 years in the Air Force. Met some great people and had a blast too.

I brought everything I need for a single 5 gallon extract/grain batch of porter (Pilsung Porter). I'm excited about the recipe - it's my take on Anchor Porter. Otherwise, I can't get ANY brew supplies here (that I know of), and sending grain/hops in international mail is probably illegal due to agricultural laws. I'll be happy with a single batch - we're pretty busy here.

Dude, I spent a year at Osan as well ('04-'05), and I spent a month at Camp Casey in '02, so I'm pretty familiar with Korea. I'm the seeing eye dog for the group at this point, and we're going to try and make trips to the DMZ, Seoul, Osan, and Pusan. With any luck, we'll make more than one trip each to Osan and Seoul.

I'll try and catch up on some of the more technical posts - but it's hard to read so much! You never realize how active this forum is until you're gone for a while! I did read beer4breakfast's debate over which welder to buy - sounds like he made a good choice.

Thanks for the welcome back!!!

Iejanbou = Uijongbu

Been to all of those places as well - Itaewon has some great shopping, but it isn't really my gig. Camp (anything) isn't my thing either, though Ton-du'chon near Camp Casey has provided many hours of drunken fun in the past. I went camping on the "Scorpion's Tail" east of there after a Quiet Riot/Skid Row concert at Camp Casey in '05. A few of us went dressed in our best 80's hair band outfits, and a lot of the grunts actually thought we were in the band! After pictures and beers we came clean about our costumes and watched a great show (even if the bands are a bit washed up).

Quiet Riot and Skid Row. Good memories. "18 and life" and "Youth Gone Wild" two classics. I might have to pull out my Canadian Tux and re-live the good old days. Anyways welcome back Yuri, have a good time keeping the commies pushed back, and thanks for what you do.

Sweet! I found a bar tonight called "Los Lobos" - clean, with pool tables and darts. The moderately attractive blonde Russian bartender's name is Olga. She served me a couple of Hoegaardens tonight...in the correct glassware! The beer selection includes some Belgian imports and a few others that might be worth a try. I'm going back next week with more cash!

...I will not be paying $4.00+ for an American import (BMC), however...

Went to a bar in Kunsan City last night called "WA Bar." Great place! I was quite impressed by the atmosphere, bartenders, and, most importantly, the beer selection. Much like "Los Lobos" in A-Town, they served everything in appropriate glassware. Here's a picture of a few of the beers I sampled there. That was the first Paulaner Hefe I've ever had - wow!!! Can anyone say BANANA?! They also had Guinness on tap!

4688-goodbeer.JPG

Great find. Love Hoegaarden. I was even able to befriend a bartender and get one of the heavy Hoegaarden glases. Hopefully some good beer makes being away from home not quite so tough.

Back