Brew Sculptures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewpilot

Reaction score
Hey yall, looked on here and on the web and found limited information on brew sculptures.... anyone have any good links, designs, plans... I need to build one, I NEEEED it.

Brewpilot

I'm in the same boat brewpilot. I won't hijack this thread though and will start my own :p. I got some questions... BTW, that site has a lot of nice setups but all seemed to require a pump...

No pumps for me... it isnt the $$ that scares me, it is the pumping and churning of HOT wort that bothers me. I think that I am going to construct a sculpture consisting of a central post and three radiating platforms constructed of square tubing and angle iron. I only plan to heat the HLT and the brew kettle and use a 10 GAL cooler as the mash tun... I really LOVE how they hold thier temps. SET IT and FORGET it. :cross:

Brewpilot

I've got plans in the works for one too. I haven't decided what I want to do as far as design yet. I don't want to have one very tall. I'm thinking of maybe a 2-tier system with the boil kettle and HLT on the one and the cooler mash tun higher. Then I can pump mash and sparge water into the mash tun, but let gravity do the rest. We'll see. Like I said, I haven't decided yet, and I AM the Decider! :D

Brewpilot said:
No pumps for me... it isnt the $$ that scares me, it is the pumping and churning of HOT wort that bothers me.
Brewpilot

What is it about pumping and churning the HOT wort that bothers you? Is it oxidation?
It's just my opiniion but I find other uses for the pump as well. I use the pump to transfer from the boil kettle into the fermentation vessel which is already in the fermentation temp. controlled box. I can't safely lift 10 gallons from the primary to secondary so I pull out the pump again. For me, I can't lift 90+ pounds high enough without straining something before transfer into the kegs so I use he pump again from secondary to the kegs. The pump just minimizes lifting and as I get older the less heavy lifting the better.

There is no way I'd consider a system without a pump. Use a pony pump and a variac and you've got a variable speed drive pump. You can turn it way down and minimize the the churning and such.

And with my steam injected mash system, the only thing the pump is used for is moving water, except for a few minutes of recirculating wort to get it to clear and pumping wort from the boil kettle through the CFC.

Since my other hobbies have taken up most of the "free" space at home, I'm toying around with a design that will break down/fold up. Probably using the bolts with the cam lock (like on bicycles, not sure what they're called) so that I can set it up quickly and get it broken down & stored before SWMBO decides to move out to give me more room.:p

MoreBeer sells some great Sculptures, albeit very expensive. I'm planning on building this one called the Brutus ten. You can buy the plans from the website. The plans include all the details, material cost, part number list, 3D CAD views, cut lists, control panel silk screen detail, and controller wiring detail.

John

brutus80.jpg

johnsma22 said:
MoreBeer sells some great Sculptures, albeit very expensive. I'm planning on building this one called the Brutus ten. You can buy the plans from the website. The plans include all the details, material cost, part number list, 3D CAD views, cut lists, control panel silk screen detail, and controller wiring detail.

John

brutus80.jpg

That thing is so gorgeous, but it must be nice to have an endless supply of funds for something like that. I think that thing is awesome--but wow. Talk about some serious Benjamins put into that thing! Look at all the stainless!

He posts on brewboard all the time. His bar is kick ass too.

johnsma22 said:

John

brutus80.jpg

I have looked at this site and design a number of times myself. Yes, it is very well done. I especially like the effort put into the details, like the custom splash guard over the pump. If I had my choice, I would do the same. If you really like the general design, but don't want to spend a whole lot, you could always modify a fish tank stand. That's what the framing reminds me of. The end result might not be as eye catching as this; but I'm sure you could save quite a few bucks. I would even browse craigslist or local garage sales. You could walk away with something dirt cheap then.

Who is dat guy?? :) :)

Thanks fellas. Yep, Brutus took three banks to finance! Not really though. It cost me about 2300 and of course I did all the work. Not bad for a dream brewery really.

But yall ain't seen nothing yet!

Brutus 20 in the works!

icon2.jpg

Before anyone drops the money on a SABCO system, you might be interested in what I've got to say about my experience with them. Just my $0.02 but it might save you a heck of a lot more.

runhard said:
Before anyone drops the money on a SABCO system, you might be interested in what I've got to say about my experience with them. Just my $0.02 but it might save you a heck of a lot more.

Yeah guy I'm very interested in your $0.02 post it

here are two different rigs owned by myself and one by another member of our brewclub. mine is the three tier gravity system.

http://upstatebrewtopians.com/modules.php?set_albumName=brewzilla&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

http://upstatebrewtopians.com/modules.php?set_albumName=thebrewstand&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

it might give you some ideas. additionally i don't mind sharing my cad drawings with you if you can read them. mine was originally designed (by me) to handle in excess 50 gallons of water in weight on each tier. it is very beefy and could be scaled back if you didn't need all that rigidity.

Brewhead: the tipping tun on the 2nd design is a great feature. I would have made an A frame to hold it instead of the straight up and across that they used, but otherwise, A+ work. Thanks for sharing those photos.

So here is my experience with SABCO. First, forget the delivery date as it won't be met but that is understandable as they build these to order. I waited 10 weeks. First problem, 2 hours into the inaugural brew and 1/2 way through the boil the regulator started leaking, I opted for the LP model. I phoned them, the guy on the phone indicated human error was the reason for the regulator failing. I told him that if it had happened at the very beginning when I first opened the valve on the tank then yes that would be a possibility but since it happened 2 hours into the the session then no I don't agree that I popped the diaphragm. After some haggling, he agreed to ship me a new regulator. 2 weeks go by and no regulator, I phone, the plant is observing a 2 week shutdown, everyone is on vacation. I explain the situation to the poor guy who is stuck working, he agrees to ship me a 2nd regulator. It doesn't arrive. An additional 2 1/2 weeks pass so I phoned and spoke to the CEO, to his credit he shipped it himself and it arrived. Actually, one of the others arrived a day or two before the CEO's shipment. I sent one back. I was happy. then I was sad. On my 4th brew the HLT began leaking around the tri-clamp. I took pictures and sent them to SABCO. They agreed to repair it. Seeing as this thing cost me a fortune I packed that kettle with so much bubble wrap that it could've withstood any trauma. I shipped it. 2 1/2 weeks later it arrived back to my residence. It was damaged in shipment because they didn't pack it with any material; it was simply placed in the box and no wonder it was damaged. Those keggles have two tri-clamp assemblies welded onto them just sticking out waiting for the parcel carrier to cause damage. I thought they should have taken better care in packing; I certainly did. I phoned them to let them know. In the meantime a day passed and I noticed on closer inspection that not only the assembly was bent, the spot where they "repaired" my HLT was rusting. At this point I couldn't believe it and had lost faith. Yes, it had be re-welded but they didn't even remove the slag or repassivate it. I don't know what took place but it certainly wasn't repassivated as it had rusted so quickly from the time they shipped it to it arriving to me. The first response I got was that I could remove the blobs of weld on the inside of the assembly and repassivate with oxalate or nitate and them just bent it back into place. I told them that I shouldn't have to as I spent in relative terms to me was a small fortune. I wasn't getting anywhere as they guy I spoke to just wanted to repair my kettle a second time. I said no that I wanted a new one hot off their assembly line. He balked so I then phoned the CEO and told him I wanted my money back that I was not happy. To his credit he said that he would do what he could to make me a happy owner. Let's just say that after so very lengthy conversations over a couple of days that he agreed to replace my kettle with a new one. It arrived, didn't brew for several weeks as work was keeping me more than busy. When I got ready to brew for the first time with the new HLT, you guessed it. It had a spot of rust in the bottom on the inside. Now, I don't store this thing where it is exposed to any of the elements. This thing might as well be taking up residence with SWMBO and myself. At this point I thought why even bother to let them know that I take it out of the box and remind you this is a new kettle and it has a spot of corrosion on it already. That box had been stored inside in our spare bedroom. I was pissed off by this time. I just removed the rust myself and repassivated with oxalate. In my opinion, something either "repaired" or new shouldn't arrive with rust. I can certainly remove the corrosion and repassivate but I truly felt that I shouldn't have to. If I could unload it and not lose a fortune I would and then just build my own, plus the beer I made with my gravity system made beer just as good and cleanup was a heck of a lot easier. Just my $0.02

Longest... paragraph... evar!

Thanks for posting. I've just come to the decision I must learn to weld so I can make my own... I just wont' be happy with anything else.

Yes, I know. Long paragraph, pur speELinG, grammar, and punctuation. Whipped that puppy out in about 60 seconds. Yes, I wish I would've made my own. My gravity system worked great but if I had it to do over again I wouldn't have bought this RIMS system and I would've made my own HERMS system since I can MIG weld and probably with some practice could get reasonable at TIG welding. Good luck with your design and build.
Jeffrey

runhard said:
So here is my experience with SABCO.
Just my $0.02

Thanks very interesting

That kind of money and the customer no service you experienced is unexcusable.

Not a good sign if you have to talk to the CEO to resolve problems either.

Thanks for the info!

Makes me feel especially proud--now that I've built my own and I can upgrade as I see fit--and still haven't spent near the fortune on it that some have. Mine was custom made according to my specs! :rockin:

My system cost me a little over $800 to build. The pots are old pool filters that were scrapped and I just shined them up a bit so they were basically free, I just paid to have them welded.

I really didn't want a 1bbl system at the time but now that I've been brewing on it for a few years Im glad I am able to brew that volume....

Recir5.jpg

Sculpture18rev.jpg

Now that I had a chance to read what I wrote I don't want people to miscontrue what I wrote as a diatribe. Am I unhappy, yes. However, I must give one member of SABCO points for trying very hard to fix the situation. Apparently I am the first person who ever wanted to return a system, maybe I was being to much of a hard@$$, maybe not. The other thing is that once I spoke with the CEO he was willing to try everything within company policy to make me a "happy BrewMagic owner". The problem was that I was asking for something that was outside of company policy. I simply wanted to return it after the 90 days and I felt that since the system was not functioning for a big portion of that time I should receive a concession. For me personally, customer service is very important and I felt that until I escalated things to the top I was receiving customer NO service. I will keep the system but I've already made changes to its design and shortly will convert from a RIMS to a HERMS and when $ is available ditch the underpowered propane burners for a model similar to what Brutus 10 has or a LP model of what Yuri has been using.

Yes beer4breakfast it was a BrewMagic Pro. The system seems very well thought out if you're into RIMS. The frame is as well built as anything I've seen and the powder coat is very nice. The stainless steel plumbing and tri-clamp connects are also very nice. My complaints have been with the gas regulator and the repair/replacement of the HLT. It is a breeze to use but I'm now more in line with the folks who prefer HERMS so that is where I'm at right now. I will likely set it up to have pilot lights on the burners and contact the builder of Brutus 10 for plans on how to design a controller. My biggest fault was that I rushed into the purchase because I was tired of my 3-tier gravity system and didn't seriously consider taking the time to design a RIMS or HERMS system and building it. Those of you who take the time to build your system from scratch should truly be proud of your accomplishment.

runhard said:
Yes beer4breakfast it was a BrewMagic Pro. The system seems very well thought out if you're into RIMS. The frame is as well built as anything I've seen and the powder coat is very nice. The stainless steel plumbing and tri-clamp connects are also very nice. My complaints have been with the gas regulator and the repair/replacement of the HLT. It is a breeze to use but I'm now more in line with the folks who prefer HERMS so that is where I'm at right now. I will likely set it up to have pilot lights on the burners and contact the builder of Brutus 10 for plans on how to design a controller. My biggest fault was that I rushed into the purchase because I was tired of my 3-tier gravity system and didn't seriously consider taking the time to design a RIMS or HERMS system and building it. Those of you who take the time to build your system from scratch should truly be proud of your accomplishment.

Why do you prefer HERMS over RIMS?

The biggest is risk of scorching the wort and the temperature of the heating element is much hotter than the actual desired wort setting so the wort flows by the electric heating element and I'm certain that enzymes are being denatured to a certain degree based on the 1/2-life of the enzyme at different, elevated temperatures. Think of an egg white as it is heated and how the proteins' structure is altered by the heating. At least with a HERMS system the wort will pass through the heat exchanger and you can maintain your HLT water at a more reasonable 170°F or whatever temp. you choose.

Oh, one time I failed to clean the heating element and the next brew I did tasted like an ash tray. I never forget to clean that element now but today or tomorrow I'm buying the copper coil to convert my RIMS to a HERMS and I'll ditch the heating element. First I need to ask the forum about copper tube types.
Jeffrey

But...It is about my brew sculpture in progress...

I am getting ready to finish up my supper so compact HERMS, all I have to do is wire up the pump and the temperature control units, and I'm red2go. But I have been thinking lately that I should separate the recirculating inlet form the sparge arm. Right now I have just a sparge arm that I was planing on having it double as the recirculating inlet, because I have seen other people do it that way.But now that I think about it, it might be better if the recirculating inlet flow is not reduced to go through the small holes in the sparge arm. Any suggestions?

Yep, Monster Mash is right. All I need is the copper tube.

I thought about coiling b/w 10-15 feet of 1/2 inch O.D. copper tubing in the HLT and that will be it. I won't need additional tri-clamp assemblies thank goodness because today I was checking McMaster-Carr and those things are expensive. I'm still kicking myself for buying this thing as if I could learn a little patience I could've over the course of a few weeks converted my gravity system into a nice HERMS system.

Wow, very sad to hear. I have had the exact opposite experience with Sabco! I was a bucket brewer and decided to take the plunge. I researched both B3 and Sabco, and not only was Sabco miles ahead in service but also attitude. I also strongly believe that with Sabco's design you will not get scortching, BYO magazine did a nice article with both systems side-by-side and even they felt Sabco's design was excellent. Sorry you had a bad experience, but I think you would have to admit that the system is awesome, especially for those who are not do-it-yourselfers!

Eastside Brewer said:
Wow, very sad to hear. I have had the exact opposite experience with Sabco! I was a bucket brewer and decided to take the plunge. I researched both B3 and Sabco, and not only was Sabco miles ahead in service but also attitude. I also strongly believe that with Sabco's design you will not get scortching, BYO magazine did a nice article with both systems side-by-side and even they felt Sabco's design was excellent. Sorry you had a bad experience, but I think you would have to admit that the system is awesome, especially for those who are not do-it-yourselfers!

I agree the system is very nice and from my previous posts you can see that I haven't had too many bad things to say about the system but I respectfully disagree with you about the scorching. If scorching were not an issue then why must one remove the element after each brew. I know depending on what my grain bill is and whether I'm doing a step mash or a single temp. mash that sometimes there is significant buildup on the heating element and other times there is just a little but there is always something to clean on the heating element. Is that buildup not scorched wort? It seems to me that the buildup is one step beyond Maillard Rxn. products. Our experiences with customer service were certainly different. I will say that certain people in the company tried very hard to provide customer satisifaction but I feel like I got burned since I had to resort to threatening to box it up and ship it back on my coin to finally get my kettle replaced with a new one,......not a not-so-well-repaired one.
Jeffrey

Latest posts

Back