Brew Sculptures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't say I would feel any different if I had your experience. It is a lot of money and it should have been replaced. When did you purchase yours? I just got mine in Jan 07' and I know they changed the heating element for that reason. On the BM forum many will complain about the heating element getting a lot of build up, but it is on older models. The new heating element is supposed to be a lot better, after I brewed I took mine out and it didn't have anything on it. With the older models I think they reccommend using the burners to raise temp then use the heat element to maintain temp. Sorry for your bad experience, just keep brewing man.

EB

I got mine July '06. The model I have also recommends using the burner to raise the temp. in the mash tun to 2°F above the desire then turning on the element at the desired temperature while recirculating the wort. I guess the model I have must be similar to those you mentioned on the BM forum who complain about the heating element. I've got solenoids in hand and need to wire and plumb mine to add the pilot light. I've got some work to do but for now I'm simply converting mine to a HERMS and will get the automation part done shortly. Keep on brewing brother.

Efficiency increase after converting my BrewMagic to a HERMS; I went up from an average of 76 to mid-80's. Identical grain bills, step mashes, etc. simply HERMS -vs- RIMS. I've only done 2 brews on the HERMS but my efficiencies were 83 and 86%. No more heating element for me.

runhard, I am interested in seeing what you have done with the BM to convert it to HERMS. Do you have pics perhaps?

Thanks,
EB

I'm brewing this weekend; I'll take pictures and either post here or in my gallery. It was pretty simple as MonsterMash suggested. I simply dropped a copper coil into the HLT and recirculate with the heater element turned off. Haven't had time to add the solenoids but maybe in the fall or winter when I have more time.
runhard

HERMS 2.1.jpg
Here is the picture of the quick conversion of my brewmagic to a HERMS. My efficiencies have been better as a HERMS system but since it is basically a RIMS/HERMS combo I will try a newer heating element as Eastside Brewer suggested.
Jeffrey
runhard, trainhard.........oh heck just go have a beer.

Back