Keg pressure keeps rising

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guidry

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has ever experienced this. I set my regulator on a pressure, like 7psi and a few hours later its up to 20. No matter what I set it at, it keeps building up over time.

This set on a keg of new beer, no carbonation yet, so it isn't due to the beer being over carbonated.

Any ideas what's going on?

If you're positive that there isn't actually 20 psi in the keg (I'd unhook the gas from the keg and see if the same thing happens to verify), it sounds like there's some debris in the diaphragm of your regulator. You can return the regulator, try to blast out the debris by opening it all the way, disconnecting the tubing and cracking the tank valve open a couple times, or you can take the regulator apart to see what's up.

One other possibility:
Sometimes when the regulator's cold, the diaphragm will respond a little slower. Is your tank in the fridge? If you turn it back down a few times over the course of 2-3 days, does it still creep back up? Of course do this with the gas disconnected from the keg.

I disconnected it last night, shut the splitter valves off and turned the pressure down to about 1-2psi. This morning it showed over 25psi. Pretty sure it's a regulator issue now.

Yeah it sure sounds like it. I'd try blasting CO2 through it a few times, that can help. Or if you're the DIY type you can try taking it apart, there might be some pieces of crap on the diaphragm.

If I recall the procedure correctly, turn off the tank, disconnect the CO2 line from the output, open the shutoff all the way, turn the regulator way up, then open and close the tank valve to cause some short high-volume blasts. And hope it works...

Cheers!

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Followed the above procedure last night and over night the pressure stayed steady at 12psi. At least for now, the problem is solved.

Thanks!

Perfect timing for this thread. I am kegging for the first time and my pressure is doing the same thing. Here goes nuthin.

If I recall the procedure correctly, turn off the tank, disconnect the CO2 line from the output, open the shutoff all the way, turn the regulator way up, then open and close the tank valve to cause some short high-volume blasts. And hope it works...

Ok, I'm facing the same situation, and I'm willing to give a try to pretty much anything. But I don't understand that procedure. What's the "shutoff"? I gathered it was: Close CO2 tank; leaving the regulator on, remove the output tube; Turn the regulator way up; Open and close tank valve. Is that correct?

You’ve got it right.
The shut off referenced is the ball vlave after the regulator.

@FunkedOut: Oh, I see; I simply don't have a such a valve on my regulator, and forgot that's not standard. Thanks a bunch.

Back