7th Hoppin' IPA - latest iteration using Heady Topper techniques

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianmatth

Reaction score
I've done quite a few iterations of my 7th Hoppin' IPA that I didn't post, but it's been a while since I've done a batch so I’m going to post on this one since my last batch was actually better than Heady Topper (somehow got a strawberry flavor.)

14 lbs Pearl Malt (93%)
12 oz Caramalt (5%)
4 oz Acidulated Malt (2%)
35g Gypsum

Mash at 146* for 60 minutes in 7.5 gallons water.
Step mash at 157* for 10 minutes with additional 3 gallons water.

Boil to Hot Break
14 ml IBU injector @ 75 minutes
7 Gallons in boil measured 5.29 pH at room temperature

Hop mix – 8 oz total (2 oz CTZ, 1.5 oz Simcoe, 1.5 oz Nugget, 1 oz Belma, 1 oz Centennial, 1/2 oz Citra, 1/2 oz El Dorado)

2 oz @ 2 minutes
2 oz @ 45 minute 160* Aroma Steep

6 Gallons, 1.056 OG, pitched ~140 billion cells (0.44) Conan yeast

Started fermentation at 63* and slowly raised to 68* over 7 days, 1.014 gravity, added 4 oz of hop mix for 1st dry hop, plan to add 4 oz leaf hops in 4 days, rack 3 days later, bottle, and carbonate.

That's excellent you made something even better! Is that 2min addition at the end of the boil or start of the whirlpool? Thanks

I bottled half of my batch 5 weeks ago. FG was 1.008. It was definitely good, but not quite as good as Heady Topper, however it is only 6.3% alcohol. I tried it next to a Pseudo Sue and thought it was better since it was much hopier and drier. The 2nd to last beer was actually the best as it started to get some of that strawberry flavor, so I think the strawberry flavor is an age thing from the Conan yeast. I'm saving the last one for an event I'm going to on Friday night.

I did a third 4 week dry hop at 40* with the other half of the batch with 1 oz leaf hops and bottled that last week. I tried one on Friday and it had a fruitier flavor from the extra dry hop.

Back