is this infected

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sksmith66

Reaction score
I've tried to be patient and follow the #1 rule of homebrewing (RDWHAHB), but after four weeks in the primary I'm really afraid that I've lost this batch to an infection. This batch took about 3 days to really start fermenting and never really got going good and strong. It had maybe a 1 to 2 inch head of krausen at one point. I thought I'd let it primary for 4 weeks to give it plenty of time. For the last 5 days or so there has been some bubbles just lingering at the top. I opened the airlock today and it certainly smells a tad sour. I know some people are going to say that I should just bottle it and try it, but what's the point if it's really spoiled. can any one confirm that it's spoiled?

Here is a picture (sorry for the quality)

IMG_0937.JPG

It looks fine to me but the picture is not very good. A ruined batch is very apparent when you taste it. Take a sample and give it a taste. If it tastes like beer, it's good. Fermentation is not pretty so don't get freaked about funky looking stuff. Nothing in there is going to hurt you.

The pic isn't great, but that doesn't look like anything resembling an infection. Bottle it so you don't have to stress yourself out by looking at it anymore.

I'm guessing that it smells sour due to all the CO2 at the top of fermenter. Your picture looks fine and your beer is most likely ok. RDWHAHB

you guys really aren't surprised to see bubbles and have a sour smell on a beer that's been in the primary for 4 weeks? It's certainly a first for me.

oh well. I'll taste a sample tomorrow when I transfer to the secondary. I'm sure it'll taste very green, but hopefully I'll be able to taste it if it's infected.

thanks for the help, and I'll go back to RDWHAHB.

that looks perfectly normal. One time i was brewin with a buddy and i told him to pop the lid off while i cleaned and sanitized the hydrometer jar and he screams..."JOHN!! Something is wrong with the beer!! Its looks like something **** it in!!" I walk over and its just thick layer of krausen...i explained to him was was up and i still don't think he will drink it...oh well.

Back