So I am an idiot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sd_brewbie

Reaction score
Brewed a Dunkleweizen over the weekend and thought I would do a decotion mash. This was my 6th all grain batch. I did a very quick google search and set up a single decotion mash in beersmith with a protein rest at 122 and then up to 154. Away I went.

Now... I didn't really understand that whole "thickest part of the mash" concept but I persevered on and simply took out the amount of wort Beersmith recommended, boiled it and added it back in. Well the temps got no where close, only hit 140. So I fired the burner up under my mash tun, recirculated with my pump and got it up to temp pretty quick. No big deal.

Only after I was done and I was searching about why I missed my temps did I realize I did not have a single clue about what I was doing :drunk:. Now I know you actually want to get the grains out and boil those... makes a lot more sense to get the flavors. Will try to do it right next time. I probably neutralized some enzymes, but I got within a couple points of my expected numbers and I will still have beer :) The wort was super tasty, fermentation is going like mad at a controlled 62F with WLP300. I am very excited for this brew.

Just thought I would share my stupidity here. Next time I do anything new I will be sure to give it some more research (which I am normally pretty good about).

I feel your pain.

I did my first all grain batch from a recipe I got from a expert brewer. It left off some vital details I am sure he thought I would look up and I would have had I known there was anything missing lol. I had about 4 extract beer under my belt at that point and was ready for all grain.

What a mess. I did not check the weather that day and it rained almost the entire time off and on. I did not realize I needed to heat the strike water to a certain amount to get a certain mash temp. Why is my new mash-tun leaking!? Like I said what a mess.

The great thing is that I made pretty good beer even with all the issues. Learned a bunch from all the mistakes. It amazes me how forgiving brewing can be with some things.

Good on ya! Tackling a decoction so early in your homebrew career. I've started doing some of late and they are fun but tricky.

Just got myself a 32oz ladle for pulling the decoction. Should make it easier. Using one on a Vienna lager this weekend.

I think your error is not a major one. Your numbers sound good. I predict extra flavorful beer in your future.

There is a great decoction video by Kai Troester on youtube. I can't post the link now at work but you can find the video easily enough via google.

It's linked in the Kaiser's page too. At the bottom in the video's section

Is your ladle perforated for straining or just a big spoon? Was reading that you should try to get as little liquid as possible.

Is your ladle perforated for straining or just a big spoon? Was reading that you should try to get as little liquid as possible.

No it's not perforated.

Just use it like if you were serving yourself some beans from a BBQ bean-pot. Get it down to the bottom of the mash, pull it out and tilt it so that you get more grain and less wort.

Don't worry about only getting grain. You need some liquid.

My last decoction. (I mash very thin as I use full volume mashes, so this may be thinner than most folks would use.)

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back