Another Control Panel Build Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njenabnit

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My goal was to create a control panel that still looked and functioned to a high level without spending a whole lot of cash. I realize that I could have spent less in some areas and could have spent more in some areas, but what I have picked out looks like it will meet my needs.

I have ordered from a combination of ebay, Auber, Amazon, Allied Electronics, bargain fittings, and home depot. If you have any questions about any of the parts, just ask!

I'm following a combination of Kal's panel aesthetics and wiring from PJ's diagram (with one small tweak for an alarm switch) here:

Auberin-wiring1-a4-5500w-30a-e-stop-8a.jpg

I picked up a cheap harbor freight knockout punch set to punch the panel front holes, but quickly found it vastly inferior to the Greenlee punch I used for the element in the electrical box. I ended up using my step bit and drill with a dremel to clean the edges. I used a reciprocating saw to cut the PID square hole with pilot holes and it was super easy and quick. I originally tried with my dremel and it would have take forever and not cut as clean. Here is what I came up with:

IMG_1092.jpg

IMG_1095-768x1024.jpg

The bottom switches are Control Panel Power, Pump 1, Pump 2.
The middle switches are PID Power and Alarm on/off
The top are E-Stop and Element Select

I used a bi-metal hole saw to cut the two element outlets, however I used one size to large on the first one (DOH!) and then made the second one too close to put a faceplate on both (DOUBLE DOH!). Oh well. The cables plugin next to each other just fine and the single faceplate and some silicon cover my mistake.

IMG_1093.jpg

I will probably put some sort of rubber feet on the bottom (tall enough to allow for the 90 degree male plug fit), but decided that if I wanted to do this I would need to put my temp. probe connection somewhere else. I put it on the side.

IMG_1094.jpg

I still need to cut the holes for the pump outlet. I picked that up last night, but didn't have a chance to put it in yet. That will happen within the next few evenings.

The next step was to start drilling, tapping, and mounting the internal electrical components. First off, this is my first time creating threads. I picked up a cheap harbor freight SAE threading set and it works great! It takes a little bit of time, but is totally worth it since now I can just torque the components down directly. The wiring diagram calls for 3 contactors, the SSR, fuses, and some terminal strips. I struggled with the layout a bit, but I got it to a point where I am comfortable. We will see how tight it gets when the wiring goes in....

IMG_1091.jpg

Oh, and don't pay any attention to the level-ness of everything. We will just say that the picture distorts it. :mug:

So what is left?
  • Heating Element construction and keggle hole punching
  • Internal Wiring
  • Spa Panel Wiring
  • Adding dual 30-amp breaker to main panel
  • Make beer
  • Drink Beer :tank:

I'll post updates as I progress!

Question: Will I need to add a fan to the box for the SSR? If so, how do people normally do this? I have a fan wired to a wall wart in my fermentation chamber that runs all the time. Should I just do something similar and keep it in the box? Do I need any sort of slits for air in/out?

Thanks!:fro:

Nice panel.
Looks like it will do the job.

Regarding fans for SSR cooling, I mounted the two SSRs for my RIMS and BK elements directly to the metal sub-panel inside my enclosure without any fans.

During my first few times using it, I was monitoring the sub-panel temperature and the air temperature in the enclosure a lot.

Happily, the SSR's get slightly warm, but never hot during use, so I have shelved any thoughts of adding a fan to my control panel.

The two SSR's I am using are a 25A and a 40A for use with a 1125 watt and 5550 watt elements.

Bottom line is, you may want to leave space for a fan, but try running with out one.

Wiring is ALMOST done! I did temporary mains coming into the box from my spa panel, only to find that the spa panel breaker was bad! Either way, I got to see the power LED flash for one second.

Inside the main box:

IMG_1099.jpg

Front panel back side wiring:

IMG_1100.jpg

I do have a few questions from wiring it.....

All of my neutral (white) lines are 14 gauge. I'm using a preassembled 10 ft 4 prong dryer cord that has a 10ga neutral coming in. Is there any need to put 10ga neutral wiring in the box anywhere?

I do have a few questions from wiring it.....

All of my neutral (white) lines are 14 gauge. I'm using a preassembled 10 ft 4 prong dryer cord that has a 10ga neutral coming in. Is there any need to put 10ga neutral wiring in the box anywhere?

It LOOKS to me like you are only using neutral for relay coils, buzzer and pumps. Since I can't see how your total draw anywhere will be enough to warrant more than 14 gauge, I'd say no. If you were running a 120v element w/ neutral, that would be another story.

It's all about the current. It is always a good exercise to trace every wire and ask yourself the max current it could draw.

I might be temped to use 10 gauge from the plug into the neutral terminal block to handle any future upgrades. But I don't THINK it's necessary. That's just the opinion of some guy who glanced at a drawing for a few seconds on the internet. Please ask for professional help if you aren't 100% sure about this.

Any Updates? Where did you find the 1k ohm 1watt resistors? How about the fuses/holders?

Looks good.

I know this is a thread necro, but it is my own thread and it may help somebody else out.

My 1amp fuses came from here: http://www.alliedelec.com/bussmann-by-eaton-agc-1-r/70149353/

My 10amp fuses here: http://www.alliedelec.com/bussmann-by-eaton-agc-10-r/70149349/

Fuse block here: http://www.alliedelec.com/littelfuse-03540002zxgy/70184434/

And my terminal block here: http://www.alliedelec.com/molex-incorporated-38210-0104/70111137/

I'll post some final updates for my build later tonight. It brews great, but I haven't had enough time to make but just a couple brews.

Any more updates here? I have been looking for a similar diagram. Any chance you could post links to the items you purchased and where?

Thanks

Scott

Latest posts

Back