this is too funny

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subwyking

Reaction score
so i called coca cola bottling group to see if i could get some corny kegs from them. talked to a guy named kevin in their service department and he put me incontact with a sales rep. the sales rep told me they dont sell empties, but if id be willing to pay for a full one and the deposit, i could just keep it. the sales rep told me that! the sales rep! so i said bout how much this gonna cost me. turns out its 20 bucks. i could even have it delivered to my house by the coke man. too bad i live in military housing and commercial trucks like that cant get in. ill have to go pick it up i guess. but 20 bucks!!

yeah let us know what happens with that. Wouldnt it be hard to clean one of those out?

Cleaning them isn't a problem, I've purchased used cornies that weren't cleaned. Just remove the plugs and cap, then clean everything with hot soapy water, rinse. Be very careful about which plug is which, the gas and fluid plugs are not the same size; just really close. I would recommend replacing all of the gaskets, they pick up the flavors. Kits run about $5 US.

if it was coming from the coke plant full and pressurized, would that indicate that the gaskets and seals are still good?

$20 is amazing, when you figure that it's $4.50 at the movies for about 40oz of Coke (which is mostly carb-water). You should make some cash selling fountain cokes to your buddies in the complex. Have a movie night with Coke and Popcorn and charge them $10 like the theaters do.

The rubber picks up the soda flavors. This problem is so bad, that I have a keg set aside for blackberry cider only. A vaguely blackberry Mild wasn't a bad thing, but it wasn't what I wanted at the time.

so the coca cola guy called me. turns out they wouldnt sell to me because i dont have a business. instead he said he would call one of his clients near me and i could go pick up a couple kegs for free. thats right for free. so i go to the store and while im talking to the lady, the coca cola delivery guy shows up. i ask him if it would be a problem if i took all FIVE that she had, and he said nope, there lost to me. so i got 5 free corny kegs. free!!!!!!

Well, here's an instance of hindsight causing me to kick myself.

I work with a group of folks who put together a convention in Madison every year. At this convention there is a suite they set up for the attendees to get a little snack and they have a coke dispensing system there eveyr year.

2 years ago I helped them pack out 27 empty coke containers. We had a heck of a time getting Coke to come and get them--- they didn't seem to want them back, but the convention could not afford to lose the $5 per container deposit.

So now I look back and lament the work I put in to getting Coke to get those things.

Back