Overused words

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think everyone in the world should stop saying 'It's all good', right now. ...
Yeeeaahh! I agree on "basically", "like" and "literally", too.

Add to that list: "my bad", "so" (as in, "I sooo hated that film."), "awesome", "webinar", "organic", "back in the day", "it is what it is" and a personal pet peeve - "presently".

Just to annoy us Americans, my British half hates the words/phrases :-
"Often times" (self explanatory, it's gibberish)
Normalcy (Not a proper word in any language, despite webster's)
"Holding DOWN the fort" (It's going to blow away?)
Dove (not the cute white birdy, it means dived)
Plead, or is that pled (not like bled, it means pleaded)
Deplane! (What the hell is that word!!? It means disembark from a plane! Do we ever decar from a car, or detrain from a train?)

I could go on and on with those, but I don't want to be "defriended" by all my newly acquired friends. ;)

I would guess most people don't make this mistake, but I used to work with a guy that said "I'm just talking out loud here." It's "thinking out loud," dammit! Everyone talks out loud! It's part of the definition of talking!

You've literally hit the nail on the head. Literally, "basically" is overused. Literally.

+1 on abuse of "literally." I've never seen such widespread use of a word when its user so often means exactly the opposite; figuratively.

This kid can literally jump out of the gym!
My heart was literally ripped out.
I literally shat my pants (ok, this one can be literal, but I wouldn't be hanging out with a person who literally did this)

Many years ago in the business world, somebody decided that it sounded more intelligent to say "myself" instead of "me". The abuse of the reflexive spread like wildfire.
"You can forward that to Bob or myself"
"Myself or my staff can assist with that"
BARFFFF!
It is my personal mission to remind people that anything with yourself is probably best left in private.:drunk:

Speaking of the biz world, how about 'Going forward...'

I had a boss that overused that one and now it makes me cringe. It's one of those things people say in a biz setting when they want to sound smart.

How much would wood a wouldchuck chuck if a wouldchuck could chuck would?

Man I hate getting into these threads on the 6th page... All of the good comments have been taken :(

I just had another thought:

How much Norris would a Chuck Norris Chuck, if a Chuck Norris could Chuck Norris?

How much would wood a wouldchuck chuck if a wouldchuck could chuck would?

Man I hate getting into these threads on the 6th page... All of the good comments have been taken :(

I just had another thought:

How much Norris would a Chuck Norris Chuck, if a Chuck Norris could Chuck Norris?

Forgive him folks....It's hot down there!

This topic may be more appropriate on a 3rd grade forum.
Some of us like to indulge in a few adult beverages, and would like to be able to converse without being Yurigrammarnazified. :cross: :drunk:

This topic may be more appropriate on a 3rd grade forum.

This topic is appropriate when adults cannot properly use the language they should have learned in third grade. There are posts on this board which scan like they were constructed by a third-grader or worse. Yuri's reaction is understandable; indeed, I encourage it.

It's infuriating when a grown adult - often with a college degree - cannot properly construct a sentence.

Threads like this happen periodically on Internet communications media. It's been happening since the old days of Usenet and Fidonet. Cretins who never learned proper grammar and spelling are called on it, and the whole thing devolves into a flame war. (At least one side's flames are erudite.)

People who cannot abide poor grammar - or who worked hard at learning it - post their resentment of language-manglers. Then a language-mangler will post attempting to defend himself (usually in gibberish), and a couple of others will leap to their defense.

Let's hope that doesn't happen here. I still say that a denizen of HBT wouldn't dream of brewing a beer that's less than the best it can possibly be; why on earth is it acceptable to permit any aspect of your life to be less than the best you can make it? Maybe that comes from my time in the green - be all you can be* - but it seems fairly simple.

Cheers,

Bob

* Never mind the superfluous "that" in the sung lyric from the old TV commercials. Idiots. :D

Sweet. You win the quote prize! :D

Here's mine:

Omit needless words.

My addition to this rant is simple: Spell properly. I cannot abide misspelling. If you care to write, write well; just as you take care to brew good beer, you must ensure you write well.

Bob

I would disagree, I would think that you could actually brew good beer without being able to read basically. Illiteracy is not a problem for myself.:cross:

The word actually gets me going, it doesn't appear in written text as often as it does in conversation. "He was actually driving on the wrong side of the road".

I am going to make some Grammatical Errors , my level of education insures that. I have no problem if you guys want to point them out to me. In fact I have a printout next my desk of common Grammatical Errors that we discussed here.

The problem I have with over-policing spelling and grammer errors...

I write fast. You don't get to 13k by proofreading, you know? I'm doing half a dozen things at once, if a spelling error, or a word misusage slips by, so what? You know what I'm saying. Most people who know me think I'm a reasonably intelligent guy. I'd like to think I have something of interest to say at least SOME of the time.

Over-emphasizing grammer and spelling mistakes (and I know that wasn't REALLY Yuri's intention) just makes this a less friendly and inviting place.

JAYBIRD - I've got your back!

EDIT: I'd also say that to an extent, poorly-written posts kinda take care of themselves. The WORST posts, the ones that look like they were written by a 15 year old, the first thing I'm doing is checking the age of the poster. They also tend to get a lot fewer responses than those that are understandable.

Basically, I think the word "would" is basically not overused. It is basically used as it should be. However, I think that basically the word "basically" is basically overused to the point where it could basically drive me nuts.

If I could stab people over the internet I would do it for this post. I remember talking to a guy on the phone while at my helpdesk monkey job who was literally (I mean it in the correct usage) unable to speak a sentence without working the word 'basically' into it somehow. I know. I counted. Sometimes he'd say it two or even three times per sentence. Thank god it was only 15 minutes of hell. Good thing for him he was out of state, lest I started getting Stab Stabby McStabbers on his irritating ass!

I have issues.

I make a LOT of spelling errors, but 99.9% of them are due to fumblefingers, not the fact that I am illiterate. I am an excellent speller and make very few grammatical errors when I pay attention, but usually I can't be bothered, so i get a lot of "teh" when it should be "the" etc..

"JUDGE LEST NOT YE BE JUDGED"

If I could stab people over the internet I would do it for this post. I remember talking to a guy on the phone while at my helpdesk monkey job who was literally (I mean it in the correct usage) unable to speak a sentence without working the word 'basically' into it somehow. I know. I counted. Sometimes he'd say it two or even three times per sentence. Thank god it was only 15 minutes of hell. Good thing for him he was out of state, lest I started getting Stab Stabby McStabbers on his irritating ass!

I have issues.

Damn, we might be separated at birth. I, also, would like to give many stupid people a good ol' fashioned stabbin, or perhaps even a good shankin. The old rusty-spoon-in-the-eye is reserved for those who use 'literally' in every other sentence, even when they're speaking figuratively. RUSTY-SPOON-IN-THE-EYE!!!

Literally.

Ok. So let's talk about what really counts on this forum ;)....

.....Dubble Bock, Doble Bock, etc. often confused with A Dubbel. How about Dubel, or a Dubble? (Sorry, it's not your favorite chewing gum).

and my personal favorite (one which always strikes the ole' nerve):

Tripel. No folks, it isn't spelled Tripple. The beer doesn't get better by adding another 'p' into the name. I am surprised I haven't seen Trippple yet.

Ok. So let's talk about what really counts on this forum ;)....

.....Dubble Bock, Doble Bock, etc. often confused with A Dubbel. How about Dubel, or a Dubble? (Sorry, it's not your favorite chewing gum).

and my personal favorite (one which always strikes the ole' nerve):

Tripel. No folks, it isn't spelled Tripple. The beer doesn't get better by adding another 'T' into the name. I am surprised I haven't seen Trippple yet.

Yeah, everytime I see "Tripple", I think of [ame="http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=navclient&gfns=1&q=jeanne+tripplehorn"]this[/ame]. :D

Doppelbock. What's so hard about that? :confused:

The problem I have with over-policing spelling and grammer errors...

I write fast. You don't get to 13k by proofreading, you know? I'm doing half a dozen things at once, if a spelling error, or a word misusage slips by, so what? You know what I'm saying. Most people who know me think I'm a reasonably intelligent guy. I'd like to think I have something of interest to say at least SOME of the time.

I've read your posts. They are full of interest. However, I must disagree. If your sole concern is post count, by all means post messages containing whatever you like. If you have some level of concern for post quality, take the time to read over your post before clicking "Submit Reply". I also type quickly. Moreover, my brain works faster than my hunt-n-peck skillz. So I often make mistakes of spelling or grammar. But that's why the backspace and delete keys (and the Edit button) exist!

Again, I say: if you're willing to take the time to brew the best possible beer, why not take the time to read over your post before clicking "Submit"? The odd "teh" instead of "the" is understandable. But spelling "fermenter" as "frementor" is simply inexcusable. It shows you care neither about your language nor other people.

EDIT: That last sentence is waaaaaay too harsh. Let me explain. If you refuse to learn to spell - or use spell-check - you don't care about your language. That's self-evident. If I ever catch someone who spells like that bitching about Ebonics or Spanglish, I will turn into the above-mentioned Stab Stabby McStabbers. It shows you don't care about other people because it causes twice as much work to read something poorly written. Some stuff is so badly written, it's like deciphering a code just to figure out what the sender is trying to say. If you care about others, you make every effort to make your interaction with them as easy as possible for all involved, including the written word. If all that's required to do that is spell-check, bloody well spell-check and kwicherbitchin. ;)

Over-emphasizing grammer and spelling mistakes (and I know that wasn't REALLY Yuri's intention) just makes this a less friendly and inviting place.
Which is why I - or anyone else with social skills - would never come right out and bitchslap you for mistakes. No one is perfect; not even me. Doesn't mean I don't sit behind my keyboard and grind my teeth at what look like the most basic of errors, though! ;)

Regards,

Bob

I make a LOT of spelling errors, but 99.9% of them are due to fumblefingers, not the fact that I am illiterate. I am an excellent speller and make very few grammatical errors when I pay attention, but usually I can't be bothered, so i get a lot of "teh" when it should be "the" etc..

"JUDGE LEST NOT YE BE JUDGED"

I will go off on a little rabbit trail here, where context is key. In most IRC channels 'teh' can be the preferred version of 'the'. Like so:

Haven't seen you on teh interwarbs lately.

On occasion I will use the perverted form when the correct audience is present. When I use words like "ain't", "Gar", etc. I am doing it consciously. I am not writing a paper for the scientific community so it affords me the space to be expressive in what many grammar police consider an uncouth manner. But I don't care :D.

So why aren't Lauter, Krausen and a few other standard brewing definitions not included in the spell check, does anyone know?

I will go off on a little rabbit trail here, where context is key. In most IRC channels 'teh' can be the preferred version of 'the'. Like so:

Haven't seen you on teh interwarbs lately.

On occasion I will use the perverted form when the correct audience is present. When I use words like "ain't", "Gar", etc. I am doing it consciously. I am not writing a paper for the scientific community so it affords me the space to be expressive in what many grammar police consider an uncouth manner. But I don't care :D.

So it's sort of like when I intentioanlly say "Battry" or "Trottle" knowing it's wrong, but doing it anyway, just to see if anyone corrects me?

So it's sort of like when I intentioanlly say "Battry" or "Trottle" knowing it's wrong, but doing it anyway, just to see if anyone corrects me?

Lol. Well, I personally don't do it as a flame or troll :D, but yeah that's kind of it. The way I view it is using slang is acceptable on occasion. However, this is different from not being able to distinguish between the standard and slang form.

I have no idea what "Battry" or "Trottle" are. :mug:

I'll intentionally revert to redneck-speak, both writing and occassionally in person. If you see me write "ain't," I meant to do that! Gotta drop "wicked pissah" into conversation at least once a week just to make y'all think I really *do* speak with a Boston accent ;)

So why aren't Lauter, Krausen and a few other standard brewing definitions not included in the spell check, does anyone know?

Dunno, really. I use Firefox, which automatically checks anything I type in one of these windows. It learns, too - it's figured that "dunno" must be okay, because I use it often. Okay, however, gets underlined in red. :rolleyes:

Oh, and +1 on the use of odd words in the correct context.

ktnxbi

;)

Isn't a battry something that contains electricity? Does not the trottle control the flow of fuel to an internal-combustion engine? (Which, by the by, uses "awl" for lubricant. And in Pittsburgh you change your awl while drinking cans of Arn City beer.)

Bob

Isn't a battry something that contains electricity? Does not the trottle control the flow of fuel to an internal-combustion engine? (Which, by the by, uses "awl" for lubricant. And in Pittsburgh you change your awl while drinking cans of Arn City beer.)

Bob

Yessir, You have nailled "Battry", "Trottle", "Awl" AND "Arn City"

+1!:rockin:

Back