Dogs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm pretty sure I have a picture exactly like this somewhere also. He is always getting in some odd position that I could never imagine being comfortable

Found it...and it is even more adorable in person.

Hera 1.jpg

So, our worst fear realized; the Howdy got loose and led us on a chase through the flood plains behind the house

Some garlic knots led him back home

So, our worst fear realized; the Howdy got loose and led us on a chase through the flood plains behind the house

Some garlic knots led him back home
Ha! Our last dog (may he rest in peace) took off after a seagull at my in-laws' place and led us on a mile chase through the mud flats. He was smiling from floppy ear to floppy ear when we caught him. He smelled like low tide for three weeks. It was the greatest day of his life. Good old Tuukka. He was a good boy.
39080_1472027953454_5202450_n.jpg

A new discovery folks!

Starsan works a treat when cleaning up high-sugar dog piss from a diabetic dog! Just mop up what you can with newspaper, spray on starsan and leave for a few minutes before a final mopping with your usual floor cleaner.

Before, when such accidents happened, it would take us several rounds of hard mopping to eventually get the stuff off the tiles. I've read there are some enzyme-based cleaners out there but since the accidents were pretty rare I always decided against spending the money.

Our dog is super-clean. We have literally never given him a bath in six years. He always does it himself. (It's helps that he's a shorthair.)

My Murphy is a MASSIVE shedder! If SWMBO didn't know the hairs were from him, she'd be very worried about all of the long blond hairs on me. She also likes to point out that we'd never be able to commit a crime, because we'd always leave Murphy hairs behind!

Mike

My Murphy is a MASSIVE shedder! If SWMBO didn't know the hairs were from him, she'd be very worried about all of the long blond hairs on me. She also likes to point out that we'd never be able to commit a crime, because we'd always leave Murphy hairs behind!

Mike

Two years + after moving out, my ex-wife texted me that she found a Roxy hair in her jacket that she had been wearing daily 5 months a year. She is a Great Pyrenees/Collie mix and her lion's mane is easily 12" long.

Ha! Our last dog (may he rest in peace) took off after a seagull at my in-laws' place and led us on a mile chase through the mud flats. He was smiling from floppy ear to floppy ear when we caught him. He smelled like low tide for three weeks. It was the greatest day of his life. Good old Tuukka. He was a good boy.

aww, sorry about Tuukka. very handsome boy

the Howdy got out when I opened the door for the pizza delivery guy. dog slipped around the gate blocking him in the media room

around the corner of the house & followed his nose into the flood plains. proceeded into the mud right before the spill wall

probably didn't last but 3 or 4 minutes, but it was nearly total panic.

casualties included one of the BigHair's socks and one of my contact lenses

There was talk earlier about off-leash dogs. I was going through some pictures on this rainy morning and came across this. Not a great shot of Amy, but it does show off her the harness she always wears when out of the yard. It's something I modified from a front lead to the top. The short leash on the top hangs to her sides. If we grab either side, it pulls thru and stops.

So, when I said she runs off-leash it wasn't accurate. She's has a leash. It's just not in my hand unless I feel there's a need (crossing roads, other dogs or people who are not dog friendly . . . )

I should also qualify that the places we run are pretty remote and not well traveled. The majority of the other dogs we see are also off-leash.

harness.jpg

Hard to be mad sometimes ain't it?

Two years + after moving out, my ex-wife texted me that she found a Roxy hair in her jacket that she had been wearing daily 5 months a year. She is a Great Pyrenees/Collie mix and her lion's mane is easily 12" long.

That is funny as hell!

Mike

Different litter then. Congrats on the soon to be new addition!

Thanks! Super excited

This was from Yesterday

Second pic is my brother holding Lucy which is his pup on the left and Brutus our new pup on the right. You can tell why he got the name Brutus...

2016-05-02 05.00.29.jpg

2016-05-01 13.13.00.jpg

Thanks! Super excited

This was from Yesterday

Second pic is my brother holding Lucy which is his pup on the left and Brutus our new pup on the right. You can tell why he got the name Brutus...

Wow, looks like a fitting name. :)

We have yet to be able to pick our pup from the litter. We are second in line and the family ahead of us is dragging their feet making a pick. We have a favorite, but are trying not to get our hearts set until we know for sure.

Wow, looks like a fitting name. :)

We have yet to be able to pick our pup from the litter. We are second in line and the family ahead of us is dragging their feet making a pick. We have a favorite, but are trying not to get our hearts set until we know for sure.

That's rough. How long does the family in front of you have to choose? I was kind of set on getting a female but Brutus (foster already nicknamed him and it seemed fitting so we are keeping it) won us over.

You looking to get male or female?

That's rough. How long does the family in front of you have to choose? I was kind of set on getting a female but Brutus (foster already nicknamed him and it seemed fitting so we are keeping it) won us over.

You looking to get male or female?

I don't know that the breeder has set a time limit. This litter was an "oops" breading between her son's Maremma/GSD mix and her champion black lab stud so I think she isn't being as strict on picking as she normally is with her planned litters. I am going to talk with her this week and see if she can start hinting to them to make a pick.

This litter has several black and 3 yellow (2 male 1 female) pups. We had a black lab that we loved and said our next lab would be yellow or chocolate. So we are waiting to pick from the two yellow males. She mention there is another family that really wants a yellow female and we have always had males so we will stick to the two males to be fair.

I was told the pick ahead of us wasn't sure if they wanted a black or yellow male. So until they decide we won't know if we get to pick between the two yellow males yet. One is a bit "beefier" than the other and is our favorite, but they both have great personalities so I don't think we can go wrong either way.

I have to admit the waiting to know is driving me crazy!! We put our deposit down almost 5 weeks ago!

I don't know that the breeder has set a time limit. This litter was an "oops" breading between her son's Maremma/GSD mix and her champion black lab stud so I think she isn't being as strict on picking as she normally is with her planned litters. I am going to talk with her this week and see if she can start hinting to them to make a pick.

This litter has several black and 3 yellow (2 male 1 female) pups. We had a black lab that we loved and said our next lab would be yellow or chocolate. So we are waiting to pick from the two yellow males. She mention there is another family that really wants a yellow female and we have always had males so we will stick to the two males to be fair.

I was told the pick ahead of us wasn't sure if they wanted a black or yellow male. So until they decide we won't know if we get to pick between the two yellow males yet. One is a bit "beefier" than the other and is our favorite, but they both have great personalities so I don't think we can go wrong either way.

I have to admit the waiting to know is driving me crazy!! We put our deposit down almost 5 weeks ago!
I'm guessing it is a first come first serve kinda thing then? They put a deposit in before you?

Sounds like either way you will get a yellow lab but sucks not knowing if the one you have your heart set on will be available.

Post pictures once you know the one you are taking home :)

If your dog sheds a lot, check his food.
My father-in-law's lab always was shedding a lot, ever since they switched from Pedigree to the same food our dog uses(orijen), it basically stopped inside a month.

Pretty much.

Our Saint Bernard is quite the shedder also. Especially in spring and fall when his coat is changing.

Mine isn't too bad as a "standard coat" SB. she just likes fling slobber on the ceiling.

My Pyrenese/Collie mix...I am reading the next week or two. weighed it last year. In a two week period she shed, from brushing daily alone, 11#'s. Even worse, the volume of 11#'s of LONG dog hair is impressive!

I'm guessing it is a first come first serve kinda thing then? They put a deposit in before you?

Sounds like either way you will get a yellow lab but sucks not knowing if the one you have your heart set on will be available.

Post pictures once you know the one you are taking home :)

Just found out 10 minutes ago that the pick ahead of us took a black male so we get our pick of the two yellow males!! Just made my day.

Now we have to decide on big and mellow or smaller and energetic. Pretty sure I know which one we will pick, but have to discuss it with SWMBO when I get home.

I think i did a happy dance like a little kid when i found out we get to pick. :ban:

Mine isn't too bad as a "standard coat" SB. she just likes fling slobber on the ceiling.

My Pyrenese/Collie mix...I am reading the next week or two. weighed it last year. In a two week period she shed, from brushing daily alone, 11#'s. Even worse, the volume of 11#'s of LONG dog hair is impressive!

The slobber is a while different story. I love our saint but when he passes we will not be getting another saint. We have nice wood floors in our new house and you woukd never be able to tell. We mop and clean one day and in 24 hours they are disgusting again.

Just found out 10 minutes ago that the pick ahead of us took a black male so we get our pick of the two yellow males!! Just made my day.

Now we have to decide on big and mellow or smaller and energetic. Pretty sure I know which one we will pick, but have to discuss it with SWMBO when I get home.

I think i did a happy dance like a little kid when i found out we get to pick. :ban:

Awesome!

Small labs are faster, more agile, less injury prone and last longer. I recommend. Congrats on the future pup.

Small labs are faster, more agile, less injury prone and last longer. I recommend. Congrats on the future pup.

I agree, but we decided that the bigger more mellow pup would fit better with our life style right now. We have small children and the smaller more energetic pup was just a bit to "crazy lab pup" for us right now. Granted the bigger one is still a lab pup, but not turned up to 11.

We have watched lots of video of the entire litter and spent a lot of time talking with the breeder prior to making our pick.

Back